Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first IDPA match! (with a Glock 34)

200 rounds? Why would you clean a gun after only 200 rounds?
    "Swing your leaders wide old man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblie View Post
    200 rounds? Why would you clean a gun after only 200 rounds?
    No? I was told that it would be best to clean the gun after every range trip (most particularly for my 1911 MCO than my Glocks).

Since my range trips are usually 50 to 100 rounds, maybe a good guess, is when it hits 200 rounds I should clean it?

No??

Quote Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
    No? I was told that it would be best to clean the gun after every range trip (most particularly for my 1911 MCO than my Glocks).

Since my range trips are usually 50 to 100 rounds, maybe a good guess, is when it hits 200 rounds I should clean it?

No??
    I clean 1911s after every range trip. I clean Glocks after about 1,000 rounds.

Many years ago when I competed in two or three USPSA matches a month and practiced twice a week on top of that, I would clean my compensated 1911 when I could feel the slide start to cycle slower than normal. This was partly due to the fact that I hate cleaning guns, reinforced by my gunsmith's caution not to "wear the gun out taking it apart and putting it back together all the time."

The gun I now shoot in geezer IDPA is a Tanfoglio .38 super and it seems to require more frequent cleaning, possibly because my bunny-fart hand loads leave more residue than my hell-fire 180 power factor loads of yore. Cleaning guns after every range trip is an obsessive-compulsive disorder. That's just opinion, however, and we all know what that's worth. And some people like cleaning guns.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I clean 1911s after every range trip. I clean Glocks after about 1,000 rounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobblie View Post
    Many years ago when I competed in two or three USPSA matches a month and practiced twice a week on top of that, I would clean my compensated 1911 when I could feel the slide start to cycle slower than normal. This was partly due to the fact that I hate cleaning guns, reinforced by my gunsmith's caution not to "wear the gun out taking it apart and putting it back together all the time."

The gun I now shoot in geezer IDPA is a Tanfoglio .38 super and it seems to require more frequent cleaning, possibly because my bunny-fart hand loads leave more residue than my hell-fire 180 power factor loads of yore. Cleaning guns after every range trip is an obsessive-compulsive disorder. That's just opinion, however, and we all know what that's worth. And some people like cleaning guns.
    Lessons learned.

Since I keep a log of my round count for each gun, I could then track my cleaning then...

That said, what is a best practice for lubing the gun? Should I follow the same cycle as cleaning it?

Lessons learned.

Since I keep a log of my round count for each gun, I could then track my cleaning then...

That said, what is a best practice for lubing the gun? Should I follow the same cycle as cleaning it?
    Ah Grasshopper..keeping a log of round count is, in itself, obsessive compulsive. The therefore I cannot help you. Plus I have had way too many Stump Knocker Ales to think clearly.

I don't know how you lube it when you clean it.

I'm at a local public range a lot, my friends work there. When a 1911 being shot by the general public stops working, it's usually because he hasn't lubed it, the extractor tension is all screwed up, or they're using lame mags.

Years ago I took this class from John Jardine, who's a nationally known, well respected gunsmith. It's quite a drive from you, but worth it if you're gonna spend a lot of time behind a 1911.

I was 1 of only 2 guys with a 1911 in a Hackathorn class, and pulled him aside to ask how to field lube a 1911. He had a 5 point lube for when on the range: hammer, rails, hood, disconnector (lock the slide back to access it) and bushing.

I don't know how you lube it when you clean it.

I'm at a local public range a lot, my friends work there. When a 1911 being shot by the general public stops working, it's usually because he hasn't lubed it, the extractor tension is all screwed up, or they're using lame mags.

Years ago I took this class from John Jardine, who's a nationally known, well respected gunsmith. It's quite a drive from you, but worth it if you're gonna spend a lot of time behind a 1911.

I was 1 of only 2 guys with a 1911 in a Hackathorn class, and pulled him aside to ask how to field lube a 1911. He had a 5 point lube for when on the range: hammer, rails, hood, disconnector (lock the slide back to access it) and bushing.
    Hi...

My apologies; but I don't think I precisely phrased my question...

What I meant to ask was if you only clean your, say Glock, every 1000-rounds, when do you lube it? Every range session regardless of round count? Every 500-rounds? Or, you'd just clean and lube it at the same time?

In regards to Jardine's Class, thanks again! I'll keep that in mind whenever I travel up north to meet up with relatives.

That said, how was Hackthorn's class? I just missed the cut-off for his class this October, unfortunately:

http://www.aztectrainingservices.com...feb-22-23-2017

Cheers!

I lube the Glock every few hundred rounds I guess. I might run a bore snake through it every few hundred. Glocks aren't that demanding of maintenance, so it's whenever I feel like it I suppose.

I liked Hackathorn. We took him out to dinner for burritos after.

I lube the Glock every few hundred rounds I guess. I might run a bore snake through it every few hundred. Glocks aren't that demanding of maintenance, so it's whenever I feel like it I suppose.
    I treat my Walther basically the same way. Every couple of matches/trips to the range, I pull the slide off, and if I can still see lube, it doesn't need lube yet. If it's gotten dry, I throw some in there. ~1800 rounds since last full cleaning, zero malfunctions. I'll probably give it a thorough cleaning sometime soonish, including cleaning the nooks and crannies inside the slide and hosing out the frame, but it'll almost certainly keep running fine even if I don't, as long as I throw some lube its way occasionally. Modern polymer frame guns need a lot more "feeding" than "care."

User Tag List