Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first IDPA match! (with a Glock 34)

I just pick at them at work, but then again I don't shoot enough for super manly looking hands.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

It's funny. I was just sitting here picking at the callus on my Glock knuckle while I read this.

I went through about a 3 week period where my Glock knuckle was really painful. Now it's just there and doesn't get agitated by much. It just looks horrible lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

RE: Glock Knuckle
    Buy some self-adherent tape like you can get at Walgreen's or CVS
    Wrap a couple of turns around your knuckle
    Keep it in your shooting bag
    It sticks to itself and stays in place, even when your hands are sweaty in 100+ degree weather
    Easy on and easy off
    A roll lasts a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I get callouses on the exact same spot shooting a VP9 due to my grip. Gloves will impede your performance, unless you need them for tactical or weather reasons embrace the suck

Also, if your grip is causing you actual regular pain and bleeding when you're shooting you need to adjust it.
    Oh, I forgot to also mention - it is NOT only because of the callouses; but, I have sweaty palms.

Yes, I did realize that gloves can impede performance, hence, I actually went through 3 different gloves to find the thinnest one available.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    It's funny. I was just sitting here picking at the callus on my Glock knuckle while I read this.
    *LOL*

Quote Originally Posted by 1911Nut View Post
    RE: Glock Knuckle
    Buy some self-adherent tape like you can get at Walgreen's or CVS
    Wrap a couple of turns around your knuckle
    Keep it in your shooting bag
    It sticks to itself and stays in place, even when your hands are sweaty in 100+ degree weather
    Easy on and easy off
    A roll lasts a long time
    Thanks, I'll try that in my next match.

BTW, does anyone have any recommendations for sweaty palms? During the classifier this weekend, I see some shooters putting some powder on their hands. What are those? Where can I get them?

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Apologies in advance for the stalker behavior. It was a slow night at work...

Looking closely at 3 separate examples of the malfunctions you were having, I'm gonna go ahead and say it appears you're interfering with the slide cycling. It doesn't appear to be the glove hand involved, but instead your support hand thumb.

In each of the stills below, (again, three different incidences) you can not only see contact between the thumb and slide, but you can even make out your skin blanching, indicating to me there's some significant pressure involved. Plenty to be causing the hiccups you were experiencing.
    No offense taken. Actually I appreciate the stalker behavior!

Thanks to your analysis, I was able to prevent further FTF and FTEs in the week after (leading to my FIRST qualifier). During dry practice, I modified my support hand grip such that the thumb is indexed at the trigger guard rather than the slide or frame. Somewhat similiar to what Vogel uses...

That said, during the qualifier, I experienced a different kind of problem - the slide failing to lock on empty.

My guess here is that my shooting hand grip is interfering with the slide stop lever, which, is more pronounced because of the extended one on the G34. Rather than swapping out from my G22, I just ordered a couple from eBay. Will see how that works in my next match.

BTW, just an update to ALL...

Due to the prodding of fellow shooters, I decided to try the classifier for the FIRST time! Since IDPA Prado holds a classifier only every quarter, I dropped all my appointments Saturday and took the plunge.

In spite of a few, obviously shooter-induced, "malfunctions", I was able to get a score of 120.64. This places me smack in the middle of Sharpshooter. Woot!

I've captured footage for my to review and learn from:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...OoydUXIH8AF1-S

Yeah - I love Stage #2 the best! I hate those head shots in Stage #1. *LOL*

Cheers...
    Last edited by rodralig; 05-29-2017 at 11:29 AM.

You can find liquid chalk on Amazon. My gym sells it too.

I saw somebody was making their own by crushing chalk in a fine powder and mixing it with hand sanitizer

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wow, that's a great score for anyone, let alone someone relatively new to shooting. Congratulations.

Liquid Grip is probably the most popular within sport shooting. You can find it in sporting goods stores. It's mostly used by tennis players.

I took the extended controls off my Glock 34, as I would get failure to lock back with the OEM extended slide release, and the OEM extended mag release would hurt my palm.

Quote Originally Posted by rodralig View Post

No offense taken. Actually I appreciate the stalker behavior!

Thanks to your analysis, I was able to prevent further FTF and FTEs in the week after (leading to my FIRST qualifier). During dry practice, I modified my support hand grip such that the thumb is indexed at the trigger guard rather than the slide or frame. Somewhat similiar to what Vogel uses...

That said, during the qualifier, I experienced a different kind of problem - the slide failing to lock on empty.

My guess here is that my shooting hand grip is interfering with the slide stop lever, which, is more pronounced because of the extended one on the G34. Rather than swapping out from my G22, I just ordered a couple from eBay. Will see how that works in my next match.

Nice job getting the support hand stuff remedied so quickly! And nice job on the classifier. Your pure shooting looks pretty clean. One can tell you have a diligent practice regiment.

Watching all three stages of your classifier, it looks like a lot of your low hanging fruit (aside from the slide lock issues) is on the mental management side. Meaning visualizing the course of fire, knowing where and when you're going to be moving, transitioning, reloading, etc... and minimizing the time between those. Having every step built into your mental stage prep is super important for success at this sport, especially as the stages get more complex. The standard is that if you can't close your eyes and visualize yourself shooting every individual target on the stage (like a first person movie) then you're not yet sufficiently prepared to shoot it. Learning to do this in a timely and accurate fashion is a skill set all it's own.

Like others have suggested, I'd lose the glove. I understand there is a comfort issue with it, but I suspect it's a primary culprit with regard to riding the slide release lever. And the fact of the matter is that it takes away from your having as good a tactile interface with the gun as possible. I'd experiment with grip tape (only b/c stippling isn't legal) if you feel like you need more traction. Re sweat....I have pretty sweaty hands too. I honestly usually make due with just rubbing my hands in the dirt as I'm coming to the line. Not particularly hygienic, but it works and I'm cheap. The hand lotion antiperspirants work well too. I've only used Pro-Grip but apparently the tennis based Prince "grip enhancer" is the same shit and works identically. They should help a bunch also.

Anyway, congrats on jumping into the competitive shooting world with both feet. In addition to just being a pure kick in the ass, I think there's a ton that can be taken away from it. Chiefly, the motivation to continue to work hard on the basics, and a means for evaluating those basics under a little wee bit of stress.

t

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    A G34 should just run and run. What ammo? Had you shot it prior? I never clean a running Glock before a match!
    Back when I shot a lot of USPSA the rule of thumb was not to clean the gun after the last practice session before match day.
    "Swing your leaders wide old man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    You can find liquid chalk on Amazon. My gym sells it too.

I saw somebody was making their own by crushing chalk in a fine powder and mixing it with hand sanitizer
    Liquid Grip is probably the most popular within sport shooting. You can find it in sporting goods stores. It's mostly used by tennis players.
    Thanks! I've already ordered one of these from Amazon:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003L7N0...d=ST1QL2UN31RS

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Wow, that's a great score for anyone, let alone someone relatively new to shooting. Congratulations.

I took the extended controls off my Glock 34, as I would get failure to lock back with the OEM extended slide release, and the OEM extended mag release would hurt my palm.
    Thank you Sir! I was kind of surprised, actually... More so, was worried before the match that I'd even make Marksman. Much less, if any of my practice sessions were doing any good.

But then again, thanks for many of the advice you've given. Singe-hand shooting (Strong & Weak) when doing the Dot Torture drills, for one! And transitioning to a 9mm platform.

As for the standard slide release, I've already ordered one from eBay. Should be arriving by the weekend.

Ah - I would keep the the extended magazine release, or else I would need to shift my grip to release the magazine. I've also installed them in both my G19 and G22.

Yes, it does hurt. But I guess I got used to it...

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Nice job getting the support hand stuff remedied so quickly! And nice job on the classifier. Your pure shooting looks pretty clean. One can tell you have a diligent practice regiment.
    Thank you Sir!!!

All I have are 10- to 20-min dry practice sessions around 3 times per week, and 100-rds per month. And my drills aren't much (maybe even less than a fourth of Ben Stoeger's book); I alternate a couple among the below:

1. Slow Fire Trigger Control on a white wall
    2. Slow Fire Trigger Control on a 10-yd simulated target
    3. Trigger Control at Speed, ie., breaking without disturbing the sight on a white wall within a prescribed par
    4. 10-second slow motion draw to extension
    5. Sight picture on a 10-yd simulated target from draw within a prescribed par
    6. Slide lock reload on beep, get back to a 10-yd simulated target sight picture within a prescribed par
    7. Transitioning eye focus from Target to Front Sight, wait 2-seconds; then transition from Front Sight to Target, wait 2-seconds
    8. Dot Torture at 5-yards once a month

That's it!

PS: I definitely need to add target transition drills to my dry practice...

Watching all three stages of your classifier, it looks like a lot of your low hanging fruit (aside from the slide lock issues) is on the mental management side. Meaning visualizing the course of fire, knowing where and when you're going to be moving, transitioning, reloading, etc... and minimizing the time between those. Having every step built into your mental stage prep is super important for success at this sport, especially as the stages get more complex. The standard is that if you can't close your eyes and visualize yourself shooting every individual target on the stage (like a first person movie) then you're not yet sufficiently prepared to shoot it. Learning to do this in a timely and accurate fashion is a skill set all it's own.
    *nod* *good advice* I will definitely put them into practice by my next match. I guess it just that I didn't know enough of the Classifier; all I knew are what I've seen in YouTube. And that, just a couple of days before since I never really intended to take the classifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblie View Post
    Back when I shot a lot of USPSA the rule of thumb was not to clean the gun after the last practice session before match day.
    Even if the gun just went through, say, 200-rounds? Is there a reason for this?

User Tag List