Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My first IDPA match! (with a Glock 34)

My first IDPA match! (with a Glock 34)

A little over a year since I got into firearms that I finally took the plunge and participated in my first IDPA match, albeit at the club-level.

Well, I actually got into IDPA late last September when I participated in "practice matches/clinics" at the Piru Range (once every 1- or 2-months).

Unfortunately when the IDPA matches were retired from Piru, so were the clinics. And then it got really hectic at work and at home; I was left with nothing else but live fire at indoor ranges and dry fire at home. Oh yes, there were a couple of tactical-specific classes with ITTS in Angeles; and a GSSF match (with a G19) last April.

So, about a couple of weeks back - I finally took the plunge and bought a G34 with a Blue Label coupon. And over the weekend, participated in my first match at the Prado range:

YouTube playlist of ALL stages (in the order I had to take them):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAsx...LZ1ls6&index=1

Yeah, in spite of properly cleaning and lubing the G34 the night before the match, it went through several malfunctions (I had to do a quick strip & clean & lube mid-stages). Could it be my technique? Or, the lube wasn't enough for conditions (WAY HOT at Prado over the weekend)...? Or, it was just a "new" pistol?

Anyways, I finished with a result of 50/92 for Combined, 27/54 for the SSP division and 8/31 for Unclassified shooters. There were a couple of stages where I ranked in the Top #10 (#2 and #4). I would believe that this is a decent finish for a "new" shooter; but then, I try to be diligent in my practice (dry fire / dot torture drills) - is this the usual expectation? Or should I make changes to my routine, either because they are NOT effective enough (or I might not be athletically-inclined)...?

... Regardless, looking through footage, I believe there are lots that need work:

• First shot from draw at distance (say 10-yards) - too long for me to get a sight picture
    • NPA (Natural point of aim) constrant transition from target back to front sight
    • Fine-tuning the grip i can't seem to get the firm/stable grip when compared from low ready

Regardless, this indeed way more FUN than static shooting...!!! Except for the heat, I think I'm hooked!

That said, early this year I told myself I'd make Marksman by the EOY, but then someone from another forums commented that I shoot aim for something higher. He adds that if someone is breathing and have some familiarity with firearms - Marksman would be a given. Thoughts?

Cheers!!!
    _

Good job! I think there were more malfunctions in that match than I've had with all my Glock shooting! What brand ammo may I ask? You did a good job clearing them and your reloads were pretty quick. You'll kick some butt when your gun runs right!
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

What's up with the glove?
    i used to wannabe

A G34 should just run and run. What ammo? Had you shot it prior? I never clean a running Glock before a match!

Glock 34 should run. No break in period. I hate to be the guy that says ammo... but.... ammo? Also, could the glove be rubbing the bottom of the slide on recoil?

Just thoughts. The 34 is generally reliable. At least, it should be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Norville View Post
    A G34 should just run and run. What ammo? Had you shot it prior? I never clean a running Glock before a match!
    Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    Good job! I think there were more malfunctions in that match than I've had with all my Glock shooting! What brand ammo may I ask? You did a good job clearing them and your reloads were pretty quick. You'll kick some butt when your gun runs right!
    Thank you...

My reloads were quick? I can't say really as I don't know the standard/average out there. Using one of Stoeger's dry fire drills (pointed at 7-yard target, at beep, reload and get sight picture) - I'm currently at 1.6+ par.

PS: I'm used Blazer Brass 115GR FMJ. When I got the pistol, I ran about 400-rounds through it at an indoor range (without any cleaning nor lubing). Then, I cleaned/lubed it the night before the match. Was using Breakfree CLP.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    What's up with the glove?
    How do I say it? Glock knuckles?

When I dry practice, I try to get a high enough grip - so much that the proximal joint of my middle finger had developed a callous (my grip puts this joint in the corner of the recess on the trigger guard) that it hurts when I shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Glock 34 should run. No break in period. I hate to be the guy that says ammo... but.... ammo? Also, could the glove be rubbing the bottom of the slide on recoil?
    Insightful. Maybe I'll try swapping out the G34's extended controls with my G22's...

Cheers!

Apologies in advance for the stalker behavior. It was a slow night at work...

Looking closely at 3 separate examples of the malfunctions you were having, I'm gonna go ahead and say it appears you're interfering with the slide cycling. It doesn't appear to be the glove hand involved, but instead your support hand thumb.

In each of the stills below, (again, three different incidences) you can not only see contact between the thumb and slide, but you can even make out your skin blanching, indicating to me there's some significant pressure involved. Plenty to be causing the hiccups you were experiencing.

Quote Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
    When I dry practice, I try to get a high enough grip - so much that the proximal joint of my middle finger had developed a callous (my grip puts this joint in the corner of the recess on the trigger guard) that it hurts when I shoot.
    I get callouses on the exact same spot shooting a VP9 due to my grip. Gloves will impede your performance, unless you need them for tactical or weather reasons embrace the suck

Also, if your grip is causing you actual regular pain and bleeding when you're shooting you need to adjust it.

Just my 2 cents as an internet dip that's been doing this a while.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Undercutting the trigger guard can very effectively address this issue as well. Be aware though that type of modification can affect which competition divisions you are eligible for.

Trimming my calluses down made a big difference for me. I cut them down but sanding would work I'm sure. It's like instant relief.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List