Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does NJ have a viable Republican Governor Running?

Been looking at a lot of houses in PA. I was initially concerned PA would follow NJ in the near future and Id have to move again but with your former AG going in the clink a lot of that seems to have cooled down. I seem to find houses in the Lehighton area I like. Stroudsburg and Bangor area seem like good fits for my travels but I was warned off of anything that ends in burg and the Poconos. Any input from my western brethren?

Site Supporter
    I live not far from lehighton. Lots of nice places especially if you want woods/ rural. There are more than a few small town " ridge runners" as my mom used to call them. I grew up going to the poconos every weekend in the summer. Now it's a suburb of New York. I avoid the region now.

Nice gun clubs near by in Guthsville and New Tripoli. Lehigh Valley Health Center is arguably one of the best hospitals in the area. My wife's sister and her husband moved down to Palmerton area for the school district. The guy who runs our shop in Lehighton bought a historic farm down there which to me sounded about ideal i.e. lots of land, house in the middle of the property, no neighbors and no major road ways running though it but also not that far from desired amenities. Some of the guys I shoot with go all the way down to Slatington to do business with A.F. Boyer Hardware Lots of pluses for that area.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 05-22-2017 at 03:53 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Baihu, we need all the sensible people we can get in VA! Get your students to move, too!

I don't know how it is in the rest of the country, but around here there seem to be martial arts schools popping up in every other strip mall. That and Chinese "fusion" take out restaurants.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    Sounds about like here. We have a large Korean population, which is great, but it means a TKD dojo on every block. Kids and trophies are the big thing it seems.

When I moved to the area I had hoped to start teaching Goju or at least find an Okinawan school of some sort to join -- but nada. And starting a dojo in the midst of 100 TKD schools would be very difficult. Especially since I don't give a rip about trophies and such. So I merely continue to train with one other Goju black belt who was also a student of mine back in Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I don't know how it is in the rest of the country, but around here there seem to be martial arts schools popping up in every other strip mall. That and Chinese "fusion" take out restaurants.
    mmm.... "Why don't you just move???" is the question asked by the moronic. If you are willing to give up everything, then moving is incredibly simple. If you're not, then it's quite a bit more messy. The older I get, the more I come to see Minimalism as a thing that I should have cultivated in my youth.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I may have to update my LinkedIn account and start perusing employment elsewhere. This gov election cycle is going to be very dicey. I say to myself "rauchman, people in NJ aren't really THAT far out there, are they?", and then I remember Corzine, McGreevy and others. You can say what you want about Christie, but he didn't perpetuate the "anti" agenda. He held things at bay. My guess is the pendulum is swinging the other way this cycle. My in-laws and my job are the current anchors to this area. This may sound horrible to say, but the in-laws are pushing 90 and I'm fortunate that there aren't a lot of people out there that do what I do for work. Biding my time.....

If NJ had an electoral college style of election it might be a different story. We are completely out voted by the inner city every time!

I escaped NJ in 2014, a decision I delayed for years due to the substantial costs and disruptions to my career. Eventually I realized the state is never going to get better so the sooner I bite the bullet the more time I have to recover from the costs and enjoy a better life.

I realize everyone has a different situation and the barrier to relocating might be too much for some. But if you are delaying a move because you're holding out hope for some candidate, a law, or anything else to get better then you're just burning time that could be better spent improving your situation.

User Tag List