Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fixed power optics

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    One reason I want an Elcan 1-4x really bad...very fast to switch from 1-4. Bombproof optic with phenomenal battery life. Just don't have an extra $2200 to drop on one at the moment.
    Shot one on a SCAR-H (forget the designation), not a fan. Glass was super clear but the eye box was unforgiving.

Steiner makes a 3x and 5x little fixed power scope. Might be worth a look and some further research if interested in this type of optic.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Shot one on a SCAR-H (forget the designation), not a fan. Glass was super clear but the eye box was unforgiving.
    We had Elcans for both our Mk16s and Mk17s. We worked with them a lot in training and on the range, but I don't recall a single instance where we took them out of the armory on a mission - for the reason you mentioned and several others. We just used the RDOs we had on hand - M68s and SU231s.

Of course, our mission was close protection, so MOST of our threat situations were inside a city block - where magnification yields to visibility. If we were doing a lot of fixed post sniper/counter sniper stuff, I imagine we'd have wanted magnification. Of course, in that role, I'd want a lot more than 4x as the top end of my optic...

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Used an acog on two deployments, always worked when needed and handled anything we threw at them. If I was to go with a fixed optic it would be a flavor of the acog and an offset set of irons or T1
    Those 4X models are tough in the eye relief area. Have you ever shot the TA11 that Ash referred to? They're BIG but pretty incredible for versatility.

I'll be watching for rob_s to weigh in with mini-Acog reviews; he was always good for a rundown on them on other boards. Esp experience shooting running hogs with the TA-33.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The TA33 3x30 ACOG is very forgiving in terms of eye box and relief. If I can make all first round hits on the CSAT Scrambler with on an AK with my mediocre skill level I think you could make it work.

If only daylight shooting is on the table the Leupold FXII Ultralight 2.5x20 (non scout) might be a viable budget option to test your theory.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

The 2.5x Leupold is exceptional! Having used them on a few hunting rifles where 100 yards is a long shot... I have one I still haven't used because the place holder cheapo Tasco bantam 2.5x20 is still going strong on my PWS T3. I know it's odd having a sub $50 optic on an $800 rimfire... but it holds zero and the Leupold is just waiting patiently.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'll be watching for rob_s to weigh in with mini-Acog reviews; he was always good for a rundown on them on other boards. Esp experience shooting running hogs with the TA-33.
    I've seen Rob shoot matches and classes with his mini ACOG. He ran it exceptionally well. I believe he closed the front cap for work up close. I personally want a 1x dot for most things. When I want magnification I want it right then. A magnified optic as primary with a 1x mini red dot as secondary is the opposite of my needs. That's why if I could have only one optic it would be a 1-6 or 1-8 with a daytime bright dot at 1x. Plenty of shooters make a fixed mag optic work and that's great. Just not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog View Post
    I am looking at setting up what would be considered a general purpose carbine, probably leaning more towards home defense, but would likely be used for small game hunting and longer range plinking fairly frequently . . . I see a lot of talk about variable powered scopes for general purpose rifles and other uses and I just do not see the point. It seems to me that you would either have it set on 1 or maxed out and if you needed to make shot you are going to take it wherever it is currently set at and you would not have time to switch. . . Sorry for the long post and I am terrible at typing, tell me where I am wrong and what I am missing
    Don't listen to the following because I'm some sort of rifleman. I'm not. But I do have a .308 Rem LTR on which I've put a S&B variable, so you and I share the same needs and have confronted similar issues. In my mind a major caliber rifle is made "general purpose" or "specialized" largely through it's sighting mechanism.

My aging eyes appreciate 1 power magnification for every 50 yards of range. If the target is determined to be 400 yards distant, the 8x setting seems to work just fine. In other words, if I had an 8x fixed power scope, it would be -- for me -- a rifle specialized for 400 yard shots. The variable scope, with magnification ranging from 3x - 12x makes the LTR (again, for me) functional for shots from under 150 to 600 yards or so. That sighting flexibility is one of the things that makes the LTR, in my mind, a general purpose rifle.

So if your rifle must be suitable for tasks ranging from home defense to long range plinking, it seems to me that a variable power scope would be desirable.

User Tag List