Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer v. Striker: Cold Weather Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In my experience a Glock and 1911 have pretty small trigger guards for use with gloves.
    Agree. I couldn't shoot either with anything thicker than a Mechanix glove. Certainly nothing that staves off real cold.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Fortunately I have fat fingers and already spent a ton of money on Glocks, so I'm sure everything will be just wonderful. O_O
    In that case, I would get a pair of these gloves as your base layer:

https://holsterops.com/products/rogers-shooting-gloves

Bill Rogers designed them and shot a perfect 125 at Rogers with them. Then spring for a set of Arcteryx mittens to go over the top, and you are good to 30 below.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Vending Machine Operator
    Love it here! Thanks GJM!
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    In that case, I would get a pair of these gloves as your base layer:

https://holsterops.com/products/rogers-shooting-gloves

Bill Rogers designed them and shot a perfect 125 at Rogers with them. Then spring for a set of Arcteryx mittens to go over the top, and you are good to 30 below.
    Now there's some synchronicity... thanks for the tip, just ordered a pair to try out.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Rogers gloves. Yet another thing I had no idea I needed so badly until they got posted here.

I'll also mention using the proper lubrication. I was using Wilson-Combat Ultima II Universal on my SIGs' rails.

At the range one morning, I immediately noticed a sluggishness to the cycling. Later, at home, I checked the label and the temperature range only went down to 40º F. and that morning, the temperature was 30º F.

Regarding hammer vs. striker-fired guns, I don't see any reliability differences, otherwise. I'm mainly a Glock-guy, by the way.

Fingerguard to small on yer Glock? Nothing a Dremmel can't quickly cure.

Of course the resultant holes in your pants won't help you stay warm, so there's that.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

A point of mention, that has been brought up here before. With hammer fired / LEM you can see your trigger press via the movement of the hammer. When hands are cold and have little feeling (get warmer gloves), you may not be able to feel the pressure being applied, but you can see the hammer working.
    Last edited by CCT125US; 05-23-2017 at 09:55 AM.
    Taking a break from social media.

All the while your thinking you would rather be inside and let the perp freeze to death/serves him right.

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    A point of mention, that has been brought up here before. With hammer fired / LEM you can see your trigger press via the movement of the hammer. When hands are cold and have little feeling (get warmer gloves), you may not be able to feel the pressure being applied, but you can see the hammer working.

Some years back, out on snowshoes in bitter cold, my wife and I got charged by a moose. Lots of drama, but I managed to shed heavy gloves, and stop the charge with a warning shot from my P30 LEM .40, as I went over on my backside in the snow. I can honestly say I did not see any hammer travel, or anything else, but a pissed off cow moose with her ears pinned back, running down a snowshoe trail at us.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List