Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammer v. Striker: Cold Weather Reliability

Vending Machine Operator

Hammer v. Striker: Cold Weather Reliability

The Hammer v. Striker reliability debate is as old as time, and generally I have seen the conclusion of those threads as: If you get a quality make, it's the same.

Specifically, though, I live somewhere where the weather gets crazy cold. Jams car doors (not just the latch, the HANDLE) and other mechanisms you would not think jam easily.

Is there any inherent difference in operational reliability in those super, super cold weather conditions with a quality striker v. a quality hammer? Assuming something like a Glock 19 and a Beretta 92 or HK P30.

My assumption is either striker since I think Alaska issues Glocks and if they didn't handle cold we would know about it, or no difference.

I did use the search function and did not find a particular match so pardon the annoying what-if thread.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 05-22-2017 at 10:49 AM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Make sure your striker channel is dry as a bone and check it again.

I've seen ice/snow pack the back of the slide on a 1911 and render it inop until it was (easily) cleared.

Make sure your lube is good for those temps. Froglube has stopped guns in our winter weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Vending Machine Operator
    I use TW-25B. I am not sure how well that is considered on this forum, but I do an extremely light layer on the slide rails of my poly guns and a very slightly heavier layer on my metal-on-metal guns.

The box says it's good at extreme temps and I have never had an issue with it but I have also never vetted the marketing.
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 05-22-2017 at 03:07 PM.

A couple of thoughts:

1) Hammer-fired pistols, in general, strike the primer with more energy. As such, advantage to hammer-fired gun.

2) Striker-fired guns offer fewer places for snow to enter (like between the hammer and firing pin) than hammer-fired guns. Advantage: striker.

My experience is that good designs of either type, well-executed, work just fine as long as the shooter does proper maintenance.

Personally, I prefer the P30 over the Glock and the Beretta in cold conditions for the following reasons:

1) Polymer-framed guns are much nicer to shoot in the cold than metal-framed pistols that suck the warmth from fingers.

2) The controls in the P30 are much more friendly with MY gloves than the other two. Be sure to try your pistol of choice with your gloves of choice.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Given that both have performed as required in military service in extreme cold weather, I'd say it's a wash. Maintenance, lube, and proper handling are what matters. That and if you can get your damn glove in the trigger guard. If it's cold enough to worry about the rating of your lube, it's cold enough to have gloves on. The US military used to (and maybe still does, no idea) have Lubricant - Arctic Weather for weather that's, well, arctic. I would assume that it, or a reasonable substitute, is out there for folks who have that sort of concern.

Here is a winter tip learned in Alaska, keep at least one gun under your jacket, as it is warmer and less likely to get debris. And a second tip, for very cold temps, have a liner glove under warm mittens, and be able to throw your mittens off like in a hockey fight.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Vending Machine Operator
    Always good stuff here. I hadn't even thought of the gloves angle. Time to train a bit with my G19/PPS and gloves.

In my experience a Glock and 1911 have pretty small trigger guards for use with gloves.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Vending Machine Operator
    Fortunately I have fat fingers and already spent a ton of money on Glocks, so I'm sure everything will be just wonderful. O_O

User Tag List