Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hammer v. Striker: Cold Weather Reliability

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Some years back, out on snowshoes in bitter cold, my wife and I got charged by a moose. Lots of drama, but I managed to shed heavy gloves, and stop the charge with a warning shot from my P30 LEM .40, as I went over on my backside in the snow. I can honestly say I did not see any hammer travel, or anything else, but a pissed off cow moose with her ears pinned back, running down a snowshoe trail at us.
    Clearly you were not paying attention in your last MUC class....

MUCows.. coming to a tundra near you.
    Taking a break from social media.

never had an issue with Mobil 1 even around 0-5 degrees F

Being more of a warm/hot weather guy I don't have that extreme cold experience. I do have extreme hot weather time. For the firearm one wants a lube a lube that doesn't run/burn off easily, hat sunglasses, sunscreen, water supply, the whole nine yards... As a former elite athlete we trained in hot weather so we knew what to expect - no surprises. Action type isn't as important as taking care of the body. For the cold I expect this would be just as true.
    - gloves, yes. So a larger trigger guard.
    - training with gloves.
    - action type that one is comfortable with while using gloves.
    - lube that won't freeze/become sluggish.

Just few of my thoughts.

In my experience a Glock and 1911 have pretty small trigger guards for use with gloves.
    I guess something like a CZ P07 with its large trigger guard would be easier to manipulate with gloves on.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

In that case, I would get a pair of these gloves as your base layer:

https://holsterops.com/products/rogers-shooting-gloves

Bill Rogers designed them and shot a perfect 125 at Rogers with them. Then spring for a set of Arcteryx mittens to go over the top, and you are good to 30 below.
    These arrived today. Only had time for a few rounds downrange so far. Thin, comfortable, fit snugly but not tight, and they're grippy when you want them to be but not sticky. Yep, I'm diggin' these gloves. We'll see how they hold up. Perfect for under mittens as well. Excellent call on that one.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

On the issue of gloves, there's certainly more room in the trigger guard on my 45C than on my 30S or G19. Having said that, I've shot tens of thousands of rounds through Glocks wearing "tactical" gloves of various makes and models, with no perceived ill effect.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    These arrived today. Only had time for a few rounds downrange so far. Thin, comfortable, fit snugly but not tight, and they're grippy when you want them to be but not sticky. Yep, I'm diggin' these gloves. We'll see how they hold up. Perfect for under mittens as well. Excellent call on that one.
    Mine are in transit.

Site Supporter
    Since the thread seems to be about gloves now, how does the sizing on the Rogers gloves compare to Mechanix gloves? A medium Mechanix fits me like...a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Since the thread seems to be about gloves now, how does the sizing on the Rogers gloves compare to Mechanix gloves? A medium Mechanix fits me like...a glove.
    There's a measure chart on the site. It appears to be accurate. Mine are size 'small' and fit very well but my hand measurements are an exact match with the numbers provided on the chart so with any non-custom off the shelf purchase, YMMV with the fit.

And to get us back on topic... I shot Striker, DA/SA, and SA 1911 with these gloves and they didn't seem to have a preference, though they did appear to be paying quite a bit of attention to the Oakleys the lady in the adjacent lane was wearing.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Site Supporter
    Thanks.

User Tag List