Thread: Current production S&W 67/66/60

Current production S&W 67/66/60

I have a hankering for a S&W revolver.

It will likely be one of the above in that order of preference. The last few times I have cruised gun shops around, I haven't seen anything used available. Actually haven't seen any revolvers much at all other than an occasional 642/442 or Tauri Judges.

I have an old (FP on the hammer) 686 Power Port with a 6" bbl that I bought used back in the late 1990s I love the trigger on but it that long bbl makes it less than handy so it has got me looking around.

Assuming that I can't find anything that tickles my buying bone in any of the used racks, how are the current production guns? Decent triggers? Parts quality?

Thanks

A few years back I bought a new production S&W M67. My intention was IDPA revolver division competition. When I tried to sight it in, it shot left. I eventually adjusted the rear sight all the way to the right and it still shot left. The shop took it back, offered to send it back to S&W for me but I declined and got my money back. The shop owner inspected it and told me the barrel was clocked.
    I ended up with a classic S&W 686-2.

Inspect before you buy any new S&W revolver.

Site Supporter
    Before I stopped shooting revolvers I owned both a M67 and M66 of the current generation. I had the M67 tuned by a trusted gunsmith and it was a great shooter. The M66 was very nicely made with a very smooth though somewhat heavy trigger. S&W made modifications to the design to help it stand up to magnum cartridges better than the classic guns.

My 67 is the last run of the one piece barrels. The trigger was ok on it. A Wilson spring kit and some light honing made a huge difference. Very accurate. If you hunt around you can still find NIB 67-5s. (One piece barrel). Your best bet is gunbroker.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Thanks guys!

I scoured all the shops in my area yesterday and today. No revolvers at all other than Tauri and a single 442. Other than the LeMat and some other assorted antiques at one store. No other Smiffs at all.

I guess I will scrounge on GB a little and my wife wants to make a trip to see her family this weekend so I will see if I can con her into hitting all the shops one the way down.

Maybe I will get lucky.

"I guess I will scrounge on GB a little and my wife wants to make a trip to see her family this weekend so I will see if I can con her into hitting all the shops one the way down.

Maybe I will get lucky"

Unlikely if you take her to one to many gunshops...

User Tag List