Thread: Does anyone recognize or remember these?

Does anyone recognize or remember these?

Today while rummaging through stuff I came across some odds and ends boxes of .38 Specials.

I remember getting them at a gun show many years ago, and there were a number of good quality JHPs mixed in with some oddball stuff. Fast forward to today when I ran across them again. I vaguely recall seeing the "penetrator" type rounds in a magazine (I think) but that is about all I recall.

The 3 on the right look like they might be Winchester Silvertips.

I've somehow managed to hold on to about 100 rds of the Winchester steel cored stuff in .357 and this single 50 rd box of the Peters load in .45 ACP that dates to the 60's, IIRC.

The .357 loads I have are actually reloads that were assembled back when you could buy the Winchester metal piercing bullet as a reloading component.

The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Back in the day, Elgin Gates used the Winchester metal piercing load (fired from a S&W Model 28) to kill an African Cape Buffalo that had run him up a tree.

Last edited by 41magfan; 05-21-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    The 3 on the right look like they might be Winchester Silvertips.

They are Silvertips. I was referring to the ones on the right.

jandbj looks like he pegged it. They are Winchesters. Metal piercing.

His link shows posters who claim that they were "illegal" to sell, but not possess. That is a new one for me.
    Perhaps in their jurisdiction.

Something different for sure.

Great info 41 Fan!

I bet that was a day to remember, being treed by a Cape Buffalo!

That makes any Buffalo a trophy in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by 41magfan View Post
    I've somehow managed to hold on to about 100 rds of the Winchester steel cored stuff in .357 and this single 50 rd box of the Peters load in .45 ACP that dates to the 60's, IIRC.

The .357 loads I have are actually reloads that were assembled back when you could buy the Winchester metal piercing bullet as a reloading component.

I dont think the pointy loads are steel core. They were metal piercing, but only in the sense of pointy heavy copper jacket and lead core as far as I know. Never heard of them being steel core. I belive the intent was shootig through car bodies, not anything actually armored.
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-21-2017 at 08:48 PM.

You're correct, I unintentionally misspoke there. They're just a heavy nose jacket around a lead core. Remington didn't use lead in their "metal penetrating" loads, choosing instead to use solid zinc. I may have had that on my mind when I created that post.

User Tag List