Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brigadier Tactical now having light strikes

Brigadier Tactical now having light strikes

Posting for a friend that's not on this board. He's got a Wilson Brig Tac with the Action Tune with approximately 1,500 rounds through it. Yesterday it started having light strikes in DA, but it would fire those same rounds in SA. The trigger bar is factory and is not the re-worked Wilson one that gives the hammer more arc on the first DA shot. To me this sounded like a weakened hammer spring. Ammo yesterday was Winchester White Box. I initially thought it might just be hard primers, but I shot some of his WWB through my Shadow 2 which has a CZ Custom 13# hammer spring with no issues.

I'm fairly certain his gun had a 13# hammer spring from Wilson, so I installed a new 13# hammer spring this morning before our local match today. I brought along my personal WC BT (also has the Action Tune) as a backup gun for him in case his had issues...spoiler alert, it did. Today he had light strikes in both DA and SA with a fresh 13# spring. He borrowed my gun for the rest of the match and had 0 light strikes. My gun has about 4,500 through it with at least 1,500 dry fire presses and it's on the original hammer spring. Same WWB ammo as yesterday.

Is there anything else I should inspect before tossing a 14# spring in there? Or should I just swap in a 14# spring? I'm just a little confused how my personal gun with many more rounds through it had zero problems with the same ammo that gave his gun issues, and I'm pretty sure my personal BT has a 13# hammer spring. I can't imagine the firing pin is that gunked up but I could pull it out and check.
    Shoot more, post less...

I would pull the firing pin safety, firing pin, and firing pin spring. I would not be surprised if you found some gunk in the channel. It needs to be clean and dry; sometimes a bit of oil mixes with powder to cause an issue. I once had a 1911 stopped by a fragment of primer.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I would pull the firing pin safety, firing pin, and firing pin spring. I would not be surprised if you found some gunk in the channel. It needs to be clean and dry; sometimes a bit of oil mixes with powder to cause an issue. I once had a 1911 stopped by a fragment of primer.
    I'll give that a good cleaning tonight and report back.
    Shoot more, post less...

Do you know if the 13# spring is the Chrome Silicon (CS) spring? The CS springs were introduced after the BrigTac release, so some of the early action tuned guns may have different 13# springs. I had posted that I had some reliability problems with a 13# Wolff spring that were cleared up when I switched to the Wilson Combat 13# CS spring. I noted that the 13# CS spring was noticeably longer than the Wolff.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Yeah I installed a 13# Wilson CS spring. Had some extra's in my parts bin.
    Shoot more, post less...

Just remove the extractor and clean out the firing pin channel from there. Might be easier to try this first.

I started having some light strikes with my Brig Tac. I put in a #14 pound spring and it solved the problem. The trigger pull slightly increased but it still is quite light and quite smooth.

Another option may be the Wilson Combat hammer. Bit more expensive than a new spring though...and I'm sure if you have an action tune that the existing hammer is already polished...never mind.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 05-24-2017 at 03:50 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Alright so...shot my buddy's gun and my personal BT behind his house today. Same WWB 115 ammo. His slide and frame combo: 4 light strikes out of ~30 rounds fired. 3 in DA and one in SA. All 4 rounds ignited in my WC BT.

My gun: 0 failures. (15-20 rounds)
    His slide on my frame: 0 failures (20 fired)
    My slide on his frame: 0 failures (20 fired)
    Swapped slides back and my gun had 0 failures and his had 2 light strikes in DA.

At this point I don't know where to begin. I was hoping to trace the failure point down to either his slide or frame and deduce further from there, but since both guns ran fine with swapped slides and his malfunctioned again when returned to normal that stumped me a bit.

I did try to disassemble his slide but I couldn't get his safety out. You're supposed to trot are the safety up as you depress the firing pin in order to get the safety out...well I couldn't get his safety to rotate up as I was depressing the firing pin. Does the G model strip differently from the standard 92FS? Since I didn't get the slide apart I blasted the firing pin channel and firing pin stop with brake cleaner...seemed to clean some gunk out but obviously didn't fix the problem.

Here's a pic of 2 of the light strikes his gun had. Primed hits are light and are not centered:
    Name:  IMG_0007.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  60.0 KB
    Shoot more, post less...

Site Supporter
    Right side plunger on a traditional G model must be pushed out of the way for the safety cylinder to rotate. Be careful as the spring tension on the G thangs is significantly greater than on a standard FS and the springs are not readily available (We have them, but it will take longer to get a replacement than an FS).

If you remove the FPB prior to attempting this, you'll find the procedure easier.

Reinstallation of the G thang is TRICKY for a first timer. Go slow and don't be afraid to ask a buddy for help holding the right side plunger/spring down.

User Tag List