Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .375 SOCOM

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Hmm. Wonder about applications and range. And sanity checking myself- what on earth do I want with building another non-standard AR?
    In terms of applications, I put the 375 SOCOM between the 375 Winchester and the 358 Winchester--plenty of punch from 100-200 yards, but starting to run out of useful trajectory beyond that. Where the 375 Winchester was optimized for lever guns and the 358 Winchester was optimized for 308-length bolt-actions, the 375 SOCOM is optimized for the M-16 platform. In a suppressed gas gun with night-vision optics, it would be ideal for dropping large numbers of hogs or feral cattle quickly and quietly.

Range will depend on what the bullet makers offer for it. Bullets designed for the 375 Winchester will be about the right weight for 375 SOCOM, but they're too soft for those velocities, and bullets designed for the 375 H&H will be too hard.

Can't help with the sanity check.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    In terms of applications, I put the 375 SOCOM between the 375 Winchester and the 358 Winchester--plenty of punch from 100-200 yards, but starting to run out of useful trajectory beyond that. Where the 375 Winchester was optimized for lever guns and the 358 Winchester was optimized for 308-length bolt-actions, the 375 SOCOM is optimized for the M-16 platform. In a suppressed gas gun with night-vision optics, it would be ideal for dropping large numbers of hogs or feral cattle quickly and quietly.

Range will depend on what the bullet makers offer for it. Bullets designed for the 375 Winchester will be about the right weight for 375 SOCOM, but they're too soft for those velocities, and bullets designed for the 375 H&H will be too hard.

Can't help with the sanity check.

Okie John
    How do you think those hard 375 H&H bullets would do out of .375 SOCOM vs a car ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    How do you think those hard 375 H&H bullets would do out of .375 SOCOM vs a car ?
    I have no idea.

The maker claims that a 200-grain bullet will do 2,400 fps from a 18" barrel, which is encouraging, but we don't have third-party chronograph data to verify that. Then there's the fact that a 18" barrel is pretty long for most folks who shoot cars for a living. And there's the fact that 375 H&H bullets tend to be 235, 250, 270, and 300 grains, which may be too heavy/long for the 375 SOCOM's case capacity.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I think a 250 gr TTSX would work fine on a car.. but thats not whats its really designed for.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

I'm not an auto mechanic or a car expert; but I have found making the driver leak fluids works infinitely better at stopping a vehicle than trying to stop the car by making it leak fluids.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List