Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grip Vs Finger Placement

Quote Originally Posted by Backspin View Post
    As you saw, a solid support hand grip can improve accuracy. On the flip side, the grip can also mask fundamental issues, like trigger press or perhaps your shooting hand grip.

How are you gripping with your shooting hand by the way? Are you squeezing into the gun with your finger tips or are you pressing front to back? That distinction can make a difference with the trigger press. Case in point, try keeping your trigger finger straight while squeezing the rest of your fingers into your palm. Most likely your trigger finger involuntarily moves inboard as well.

Next, try keeping your trigger finger straight while squeezing your fingers front to back, like a clamp. Probably a lot easier to isolate the trigger finger that way.

Between now and your next range session I would do a bunch of dry practice one hand only. The RMR on your gun will tell you if you are pressing the trigger correctly.

Solid information! As I'm sitting at my desk this morning I'm using a blue gun to reproduce my grip and unless I'm jaded by what you've written I am using a c clamp grip. I tried the two exercises you mentioned and sure as shit with more finger tip pressure the trigger finger tip wants to curl in. In my range notes I'm making an entry to pay attention to this to be sure I really am using the c clamp. It's amazing how simple and how complex your grip is. I find it also amazing within your grip how many things you subconsciously. I will do some one handed dry practice as you mentioned. Thanks for the feedback. Feel free to ad any further info. I feel like I'm on the edge of figuring this thing out.
    SCD

Regarding your trigger finger rubbing on the trigger guard, I have come to the conclusion after asking some questions here that it shouldn't matter as long as you have a solid grip. My trigger finger contacts the side of the frame and the tip of my trigger finger touches the inside of the trigger guard same as you. I've been playing with my grip and when I have everything clamped down my sights are rock solid during dry fire practice. I do like the wedge grip, however, I think last round hold open will be practically impossible due to the support hand contacting the slide release, but I'm sort of ok with that.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Trying to conform your grip to "universally accepted" best practices is like trying to force people to shoot with both eyes open. It works for a lot of people, but not all. People are different and their body's will only allow them to do what they can do.

I have a large hands with long fingers and as a result, I have a hard time getting support hand contact on the left rear grip panel. My fingers are so long that my right hand fingers wrap most of the left grip panel. To grip the gun the "right" way feels like it forces my hands wide, so I try to get more contact on the gun at the top of the rear grip panel by rotating my support hand forward and wrapping my left index finger high under the trigger guard.

You gotta do what works with your body type. As long as you can control recoil and move the trigger without disturbing the sights, use what works.
    I grip mine in pretty much the same way as I also have big hands with long fingers. Mine is just reversed 'cause I'm a lefty.

Seeing people shoot over the years with all kinds of different grips, and shooting well with all of them, I've pretty much decided that grip techniques aren't all that important. When I shot with my own self taught (I shot alone for at least a year with no one else, except the range employees, being there), I shot pretty decently, and a lot better than I do now. When I began getting comments from other people, I followed peer pressure, and changed my grip tremendously, and I've never really shot as well since. Since I started shooting again, and I grip the way I want and ignore "advice", I'm able to do a decent center mass hit at decent speed, and I've improved to the point I'm comfortable again with shooting. I think my main issues are my messed up back and 60 year old eyes, and I don't see how those are fixable..

Quote Originally Posted by Hemiram View Post
    Seeing people shoot over the years with all kinds of different grips, and shooting well with all of them, I've pretty much decided that grip techniques aren't all that important. When I shot with my own self taught (I shot alone for at least a year with no one else, except the range employees, being there), I shot pretty decently, and a lot better than I do now. When I began getting comments from other people, I followed peer pressure, and changed my grip tremendously, and I've never really shot as well since. Since I started shooting again, and I grip the way I want and ignore "advice", I'm able to do a decent center mass hit at decent speed, and I've improved to the point I'm comfortable again with shooting. I think my main issues are my messed up back and 60 year old eyes, and I don't see how those are fixable..
    Have you considered that you may have gotten really good at using a substandard grip?

Meaning - learning a more optimal grip may give you seemingly dismal results at first... but if you stick with it you may rapidly outshine your previous efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Have you considered that you may have gotten really good at using a substandard grip?

Meaning - learning a more optimal grip may give you seemingly dismal results at first... but if you stick with it you may rapidly outshine your previous efforts.
    I think part of the trick is finding what's optimal for YOU and building from there. Sure you can shoot OK with a suboptimal grip, but that's probably all you're going to get, just OK while exhibiting more effort. Using a more optimal grip will give you better performance as you figure it out with less effort.

Individual hand size vs gun fitment plays an important role here.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

User Tag List