Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grip Vs Finger Placement

Go and read this . This helped me and others as well.

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/qu...-grip.1340458/

A couple of things to pay attention to that may help with the trigger press.

-focus on placing your finger on the trigger by bending the second joint. Also, focus on pressing the trigger by bending the second joint. You want to minimize movement of the first joint as it can induce the lateral push.

-notice where your finger is pointing at the end of your trigger press. The tip of your finger should be pointed directly 9 o'clock (for right handed shooters) to help ensure you "finish flat" on the trigger press. If your finger is pointed at an angle (other than 90 degrees) in relation to the bore, that could be the reason for you pushing your shots.

Taken from the other thread on this page, do this drill over and over again both dry and live fire: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....rk-The-Trigger

Experiment with different grips, backstraps, and finger placements. You will find what works for you, and what works for you may not be what works for me. I've seen some people have success with just the tip of their finger on the trigger, and others with their first knuckle or more on the trigger. I've seen people with small hands prefer large backstraps and people with large hands prefer small backstraps. Regardless of how you get there, the end goal is to press the trigger quickly with minimal disturbance of the sights. Find what gives you the best success on that drill and then just put in the reps to make it muscle memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Taken from the other thread on this page, do this drill over and over again both dry and live fire: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....rk-The-Trigger

Experiment with different grips, backstraps, and finger placements. You will find what works for you, and what works for you may not be what works for me. I've seen some people have success with just the tip of their finger on the trigger, and others with their first knuckle or more on the trigger. I've seen people with small hands prefer large backstraps and people with large hands prefer small backstraps. Regardless of how you get there, the end goal is to press the trigger quickly with minimal disturbance of the sights. Find what gives you the best success on that drill and then just put in the reps to make it muscle memory.
    So much this. If you went by "what makes the most sense" on paper, then I should be using no backstrap on my G19Gen4 so I can use more finger. Instead, I'm using a medium backstrap with pretty much just the tip of my finger. I'm more consistent that way. The targets and the timer don't lie.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy

There is more than one way to manipulate the trigger effectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1irZnIOFPE
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Quote Originally Posted by ken grant View Post

Interesting...
    I saw a picture of Paul Vandunk of Pace Performance Shooting using this grip but I wasn't sure if it had a name or if it was just some weird grip he was using. I'm going to give it a try. Seems like you would get a much higher grip on the gun with your support hand using this grip.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Interesting...
    I saw a picture of Paul Vandunk of Pace Performance Shooting using this grip but I wasn't sure if it had a name or if it was just some weird grip he was using. I'm going to give it a try. Seems like you would get a much higher grip on the gun with your support hand using this grip.
    I can't find the video right now but there is one out there showing Steve Fisher using this grip or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Paul Vandunk Jr. of Pace Performance Shooting
    FIFmyself

Name:  PVDJr.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  53.5 KB
    Last edited by Irelander; 05-22-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by ken grant View Post

Just got back from the range. I went with the intent to work on grip only to try to correct my left bias. I tried the "wedge" grip outlined by Mas. Trying different thinks I found that if I put more thumb pressure on the frame with my support hand (right handed) It tightened my group up a good bit but i'm still shooting left somewhat. I was tempted at this point to adjust my dot but I'm going to hold off until the next trip and see how it turns out. I'm not abandoning the wedge grip, I'll try it again but I did get better results from the added thumb pressure. As with any grip change it feels really awkward.
    SCD

As you saw, a solid support hand grip can improve accuracy. On the flip side, the grip can also mask fundamental issues, like trigger press or perhaps your shooting hand grip.

How are you gripping with your shooting hand by the way? Are you squeezing into the gun with your finger tips or are you pressing front to back? That distinction can make a difference with the trigger press. Case in point, try keeping your trigger finger straight while squeezing the rest of your fingers into your palm. Most likely your trigger finger involuntarily moves inboard as well.

Next, try keeping your trigger finger straight while squeezing your fingers front to back, like a clamp. Probably a lot easier to isolate the trigger finger that way.

Between now and your next range session I would do a bunch of dry practice one hand only. The RMR on your gun will tell you if you are pressing the trigger correctly.

User Tag List