Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cockeyed Beretta 92 barrels

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Normal. All of mine are like that. No issues.
    Yeah. Totally not an issue. Just purely curiosity.

Site Supporter
    If the bullet leaves the barrel parallel to the line drawn to the sights it's fine. If the barrel or something is in a straight line then the bullet leaves parallel to your line of sight...not at a deflection to it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Normal. All of mine are like that. No issues.
    That's not what OP was asking.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Yeah, that's more or less what I suspect. There's some slow motion videos show that there is slide movement rearward before bullet exit. So... it's definitely conceivable.

What's interesting... is that the right-leaning Beretta shoots a bit left (for me). More so than the left-leaning Beretta. Seems to support the idea that there's not a relationship between barrel position and POI.
    Well, it does, actually. Think of an adjustable front sight - you move the sight the opposite direction of where you want the group to move (ie move it right if you want to go left). So a right-leaner should shoot a bit left, and a left leaner should shoot a bit right.

Since the barrel locks into the slide, this relationship is still true, as the sights are 'locked' to the slide. While the barrel has tracks in the frame to follow, the further off centerline a machined feature is, the more leverage it will have - making the fit between the locking block/slide cuts and any angles there the predominant factors.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Well, it does, actually. Think of an adjustable front sight - you move the sight the opposite direction of where you want the group to move (ie move it right if you want to go left). So a right-leaner should shoot a bit left, and a left leaner should shoot a bit right.

Since the barrel locks into the slide, this relationship is still true, as the sights are 'locked' to the slide. While the barrel has tracks in the frame to follow, the further off centerline a machined feature is, the more leverage it will have - making the fit between the locking block/slide cuts and any angles there the predominant factors.
    Okay... I'm working this out in my head:

Barrel leaning right... is like the front sight drifted left <which should mean> the shots would group right of POA.

Right?

So isn't my initial theory correct? One would expect a right-leaning barrel to produce groups right of POA (since it's tantamount to having the front sight drifted left). But my right-leaner shoots (a little bit) left.

Definitely still a relationship between barrel/sights. But, I'm just not 100% sure what we see when a 92 is in battery is the relationship that is reflected when the shot breaks.

Also: Right-leaning barrel = shooter's right (not the shootee's right)
    Last edited by MattyD380; 05-23-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    If the bullet leaves the barrel parallel to the line drawn to the sights it's fine. If the barrel or something is in a straight line then the bullet leaves parallel to your line of sight...not at a deflection to it?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Yeah, that's another question I have... even though the barrel is off, is it still straight in the slide? I.e., is the bore line parallel with the sight line?

Seems like it probably is. But tough to measure. And if that's the case, I think you could probably make the argument that whatever it's off by... it's just a millimeter or two. And you won't see much of a difference translate to the target.

But if the barrel sits at an angle, you would conceivably have a greater variance off the sight picture, which would increase with distance.

User Tag List