Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cockeyed Beretta 92 barrels

Site Supporter

Cockeyed Beretta 92 barrels

I have two 92 compacts. In both guns, the barrel rests visibly off center in the slide:

To the left (from shooter's POV):

Name:  image1.jpg
Views: 4809
Size:  19.7 KB

To the right:

Name:  image2.jpg
Views: 4726
Size:  19.4 KB

Both guns shoot great, and I see nothing to indicate this affects accuracy. Noticed the lean when I got my first compact almost a year ago. Did some research, and apparently this is a "thing" with 92s. So I wasn't surprised (or concerned) when I saw it in my second compact.

But the question remains: how can these guns hit POA (and mine do) when the line of the bore isn't aligned with the front sight?

It's been discussed at length on the Beretta forum, with no clear consensus that I could see. There's some belief that under forces of recoil, the barrel centers prior to the bullet exiting. And there's some belief that the offset is constant along the whole barrel (i.e., it's not angled), so POI is only off by only a mm or two--which isn't enough for most shooters to notice.

I really don't know. And I really don't care, as long as the guns can shoot... but in a world where barrel-slide lockup is seen as the holy grail of accuracy, it's interesting that 92s can shoot so well with their cockeyed barrels and seemingly half-assed lockup. Thought it would make for an interesting discussion.

Some time ago I found out this was a thing and checked mine out. Turns out that most of mine are fairly well centered, but a couple are cockeyed. Just by shooting the things, I'd never noticed.

At any rate, I don't have the answers you seek except for this. Accuracy comes from consistency. Everything does the exact same thing over and over (or close to it). So if the gun locks up consistently in the same manner every time, it makes a certain amount of sense that even if it's off by a bit that the accuracy would be fine.

Now, how it doesn't screw up the POA/POI relationship, I have no friggin clue. Maybe I need to ask an acquaintance of mine that's a physicist. He could probably tell me, but I may not understand the answer.

I agree with your statement that if the gun shoots and runs good I really don't find this to be an issue, just a bit odd.

The Beretta 92 locks up against the locking block,not the slide as a conventional Browning action firearm. That is why an off centered barrel is not an accuracy issue.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Some time ago I found out this was a thing and checked mine out. Turns out that most of mine are fairly well centered, but a couple are cockeyed. Just by shooting the things, I'd never noticed.

At any rate, I don't have the answers you seek except for this. Accuracy comes from consistency. Everything does the exact same thing over and over (or close to it). So if the gun locks up consistently in the same manner every time, it makes a certain amount of sense that even if it's off by a bit that the accuracy would be fine.

Now, how it doesn't screw up the POA/POI relationship, I have no friggin clue. Maybe I need to ask an acquaintance of mine that's a physicist. He could probably tell me, but I may not understand the answer.

I agree with your statement that if the gun shoots and runs good I really don't find this to be an issue, just a bit odd.
    Yeah. I have no doubt the lockup is consistent. The barrel seems to rest in exactly the same spot whenever it's in battery. But, like you said... how is POA/POI not affected?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Cool. Thanks. I read through it. Totally get that the barrel locks against the locking block, not the slide. But (as was pointed out in that thread) the sights aren't on the locking block... they're on the slide.

The groups I shoot may indeed fall within the margin of error that results from an off-center front sight (I saw he had the numbers in the thread--I haven't done the measurements). So maybe that's the explanation: it just doesn't make enough a difference to matter.

But still... unless there's some kind of mechanical centering is going on, the front sight on a non-centered 92 simply is not aligned to POI. Not exactly, anyway.

It's a good question, tagging to follow
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Site Supporter
    I'd imagine that when the round is lit off that forces the locking block into the slide cutout much harder than the recoil spring can, and that does a 'last minute' centering job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Normal. All of mine are like that. No issues.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    I'd imagine that when the round is lit off that forces the locking block into the slide cutout much harder than the recoil spring can, and that does a 'last minute' centering job.
    Yeah, that's more or less what I suspect. There's some slow motion videos show that there is slide movement rearward before bullet exit. So... it's definitely conceivable.

What's interesting... is that the right-leaning Beretta shoots a bit left (for me). More so than the left-leaning Beretta. Seems to support the idea that there's not a relationship between barrel position and POI.

User Tag List