Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Soft Trigger Bar

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    Though it is only a guess from here, but knowing your great care for your pistols and your attention to detail, I do not believe that it is from abuse.
    I have 97,700 rounds on my PX4 firing pin, made by the same company. It also includes the use of snap caps. I do not believe that a firing pin should be damaged so early.

Since all individual hammer springs can have slight differences in them, it is also possible that the 13-pound spring might not be enough for some of the hard primers you are running into.
    Thank you. I do try to be good to them; I知 proud to own them and carry and compete with them. She does get a lot of dry fire in da mode with the LASR cartridge.

I always shoot the same Speer lawman ammo and all three of my full-size 92s have 13 lb springs from Ltt (I believe the compact does as well). Possible ammo issue but it seems unlikely ; I致e used more than 16,000 rounds of it in the last 8 months in 92s with these springs without issue. However, they are mechanical devices and, to slightly alter the famous Carroll Smith quote made in the context of race cars, as mechanical devices they are prone to failures but will eventually respond to reason. I知 sure I値l get it sorted.
    Last edited by Medusa; 01-19-2020 at 10:02 PM.

to be continued...

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Thank you. I do try to be good to them; I知 proud to own them and carry and compete with them. She does get a lot of dry fire in da mode with the LASR cartridge.

I always shoot the same Speer lawman ammo and all three of my full-size 92s have 13 lb springs from Ltt (I believe the compact does as well). Possible ammo issue but it seems unlikely ; I致e used more than 16,000 rounds of it in the last 8 months in 92s with these springs without issue. However, they are mechanical devices and, to slightly alter the famous Carroll Smith quote made in the context of race cars, as mechanical devices they are prone to failures but will eventually respond to reason. I知 sure I値l get it sorted.
    When you get it sorted out and find out what the issue was (and I'm sure that you will) let us know what you found out, if you don't mind.

I have a pair of LTT tuned Berettas; one has a 13# spring and most everything goes bang (it doesn't like Blazer). The other has a 14# spring and seems to only like Federal primers (it won't reliably ignite PMC).

I've found Federal AE more reliable than Speer TMJ in my own experience with these pistols.

I'd try swapping in a new 13# hammer spring and see if the problems disappear. 16K seems like a good run, and hammer springs are cheap enough. I'd also give the firing pin channel an inspection.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Banned
    Thank you. The weapon in question has a little over 4K live rounds. Her twin sister has 10,195 with no issues. Both have tons of dry fire. I don稚 think her hammer spring is worn out. But I guess we will find out.

Lawman has been exceptionally reliable for me, more than AE in mine, hence the high quantities. Just shows individual variances between weapons, I guess.

Wow, a quote from Carroll Smith. I never expected that especially on a gun forum. It is a shame he is gone because his 4 books could probably use some updating. Still they are great resources.

Just shows individual variances between weapons, I guess.
    This has been eye opening for me as well, and reinforces the lesson to vet your firearm and ammunition combination.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Wow, a quote from Carroll Smith. I never expected that especially on a gun forum. It is a shame he is gone because his 4 books could probably use some updating. Still they are great resources.
    Much of the technology is obsolete, but much of it is not. There are a lot of engineers and car enthusiasts who don't know what's in those books and would be better off if they did.

The even more important aspect is the philosophy of ultimate personal responsibility.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    I've heard that some Beretta 92s have had trigger bars with poor quality steel or poor heat-treating. Has there been a problem? Is there a particular S/N range or place of manufacture (US/Italy) that had problems?
    It's too early to tell on my gun, it's approaching 20 years old, let you know when it fails.

As has been discussed earlier, I believe the problem with the OEM Beretta trigger bar has much to do with that it's only surface hardened, whereas the Wilson/Langdon triggerbar is through-hardened, in addition to the geometry mods.

It's not so much that the OEM Beretta one will fail, or cause the gun to be inoperable, it's that over time/trigger pulls (covering both dry- and live-firing) the surface hardening can be worn through in metal-on-metal reciprocation areas, and a pronounced hitch can perceptibly develop in the triggerpull, usually manifested at or slightly before the break.

The Wilson/Langdon options are, in my opinion superior in two critical aspects: 1, Durability and maintaining consistency in triggerpulls; and 2, In allowing the hammer to pull back further, allowing lighter mainsprings without degradation (proportionately, IAW the actual main spring force weight chosen) to the energy the firing pin imparts on the cartridge primer. In short, the Wilson/Langdon triggerbar allows for a lighter triggerpull weight in DA, with a more consistent pull characteristic over time.

In my 92D, as I've mentioned, if not earlier in this thread, in my 92D Update thread, I initially installed a 14# Wilcon chrome silicon mainspring in conjunction with my Wilson/Langdon triggerbar; after a period of flawless use, I switched to, and have remained with, the Wilson chrome silicon 13# mainspring. I tested with a wide variety of cartridges; my standard carry/duty cartridges are Speer Gold Dot 124 gr +P and/or Hornady Critical Duty, and my standard practice/match cartridges are Sellier & Bellot 124 gr and American Eagle 124 gr; the S&B is noted for having a harder primer, but I've had absolutely zero issues with it, or any other cartridge tested in my 92D so equipped.

Recoil spring is the Wilson Combat 14# extra strength, magazines are Check-Mate dry film magazines with OEM springs.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 01-20-2020 at 12:42 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PX4 Storm Tracker View Post
    A way for you to check out the firing pin point would be to remove your slide and take out the barrel and block. Lay the slide down, sights downward on a table. Depress the firing pin block plunger with one hand and push in on the firing pin from the rear with a skewer. You should be able to see the front of the firing pin protrude as you push it.
    This looked okay when I tested it yesterday.

I知 going to try a fresh recoil spring and see. I wonder if cool temps, dirt, less than usual lubrication, and a nearly time to replace recoil spring actually caused a situation where the weapon was verrrry slightly not quite in battery? I should be able to get her to the range tomorrow.
    Last edited by Medusa; 01-21-2020 at 01:32 PM.

User Tag List