Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92 Soft Trigger Bar

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    The stacking y'all are talking about must be literally at the very end of the pull. The stacking I'm thinking of is the additional weight of the firing pin block and is before what y'all are talking about. I had assumed the stacking at the very end was the firing pin block spring coil-binding.
    Both my M9 and my Brig Tac stack twice in DA. The first is probably something like 60% in the pull, and the second is right before the hammer falls. The Brig Tac had an action job so the stacking each time is both lighter and less noticeable. I've worked on the M9 some, and installed a Wilson trigger bar, both of which reduced the stacking but it is still quite noticeable. The pull is easy, then harder, then easy, the hard. My trigger pull gauge looks like a yo-yo when I'm measuring the pull weight.

Neither noticeably stacks in SA--just a relatively short pull to a clean break.

I always thought the stacking at the very end was where the SA sear was being pulled as well as the DA stuff. I notice it on one or two of my Berettas, not at all on the others.

What sucks about the stocker is the gouge that gets worn into the trigger bar. Maybe heat treating it initially can prolong the wear, but at some point, you get through the case-hardening and it just gets worse. The gouge helps produce the "stacking" sensation...

How fast does this happen? Varies... I've worn trigger bars out in as little as 6 months on dedicated dry fire guns. Most last much longer. It doesn't impede function, just makes it feel crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    What sucks about the stocker is the gouge that gets worn into the trigger bar. Maybe heat treating it initially can prolong the wear, but at some point, you get through the case-hardening and it just gets worse. The gouge helps produce the "stacking" sensation...

How fast does this happen? Varies... I've worn trigger bars out in as little as 6 months on dedicated dry fire guns. Most last much longer. It doesn't impede function, just makes it feel crappy.
    Thanks for the picture Les. It explains a lot. I just checked my 92s. Both have that gouge. One at around 8,000 rounds and one at around 1500, but both pistols have a lot of dry practice.

My agency used to issue 92FS INOX 9mm pistols.

Make sure you are using some sort of snap cap in dry fire mode. I have always done a lot of dry fire and broke a firing pin in my last 92. We also had numerous extractors wear down but that was from cops loading that one cartridge by sliding it in the chamber and then dropping the slide on it instead of stripping one from the magazine. Beretta USA sent about 380 extractors and everyone had to swing by the armorer and get them retrofitted.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    OE soft trigger bars are not expensive parts to keep changed out.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/beretta-9...igger-bar.html
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    OE soft trigger bars are not expensive parts to keep changed out.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/beretta-9...igger-bar.html
    No, they're not...

However... if you've paid for an action job, having an upper bound of ~10K on that is kinda, well, crappy. I think (and know) a good trigger should last much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    My agency used to issue 92FS INOX 9mm pistols.

Make sure you are using some sort of snap cap in dry fire mode. I have always done a lot of dry fire and broke a firing pin in my last 92. We also had numerous extractors wear down but that was from cops loading that one cartridge by sliding it in the chamber and then dropping the slide on it instead of stripping one from the magazine. Beretta USA sent about 380 extractors and everyone had to swing by the armorer and get them retrofitted.
    The FP seems to snap in the groove/cutout that engages the FP block. The good news: when they break, you probably won't notice anyway... Lol.
    I dunno if snap caps really prevent that wear/stress point...

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    The FP seems to snap in the groove/cutout that engages the FP block. The good news: when they break, you probably won't notice anyway... Lol.
    I dunno if snap caps really prevent that wear/stress point...
    You are right. When mine broke, I had no idea it was now a paperweight.

Rode the streets for two weeks like that. Went to a local range on my off day to get in 100 rounds of practice, cleared my duty ammo, loaded up some FMJ, racked the slide, got a sight picture......press press press......

Click.

Tap, rack

Same same.......click.

Took the weapon to the academy and told them I needed a firing pin.

Being a police department, they aren't used to someone putting cases of ammo through their sidearm nor are they used to or familiar with dry firing practice.

"Did you drop this thing or something?"

One eye roll later from me they issue me a temporary spare while they try to figure out how to change the firing pin.

Something else was wrong if it shut your gun down. What Les meant was that Berettas are known for running even when the firing pin is broken in half. The Beretta already has a two piece firing pin. Making it a three piece normally does not keep it from working. My guess is your firing pin block was not getting raised completely out of the way and that cause the break as well as the failure to fire.
    www.langdontactical.com
    Bellator,Doctus,Armatus

User Tag List