Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A second strike question - ever happen?

Site Supporter

A second strike question - ever happen?

In an endless discussion of semi actions. striker, DAO, TDA, DABABBDAAO, etc. it was argued elsewhere that the second strike ability of some guns is useful if a round doesn't fire - as compared to an immediate tap, whack, boom or drop the mag, reload with spare and etc.

So has the second strike capacity ever saved the day? No need to lecture on time and KISS, I got that down. I just want to know if it ever happened in some real world incident or even a match.

If there is an ancient thread on this, I apologize - point me too it. Thanks.

Interesting question - does any agency that issues DA firearms actually train personnel to perform a second strike? I suspect not, which calls the 'benefit' into question.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I think it depends on your firearm and the circumstances. I have watched YVK light off a round with a second DA pull on his Tanfo in a match, and I have done the same with my CZ. If that works, it is certainly faster than TRB.

Less experienced shooter where you are trying to simplify remedial actions, and especially with a striker, different situation. Five round revolver shooter, with just loose ammo or speed strips, and I would be tempted to spin the wheel again.

That said, I would not choose a firearm based on second strike capability.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

That said, I would not choose a firearm based on second strike capability.
    This.

I chose a TDA gun based on their inherent safety features and overall shootability. A seconds strike capability is just an added low priority bonus.

I've also been able to use a second DA pull to light off cheap Russian ammo that had the hardest primers I had ever encountered. But that happens so infrequently that it almost doesn't register on my "things to train for" meter.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Interesting question - does any agency that issues DA firearms actually train personnel to perform a second strike? I suspect not, which calls the 'benefit' into question.
    INS / USBP used to issue the 96D Brigadier and touted the second strike capability but it was never taught or trained.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    As others have posted this occasionally happens with hard primers in a range setting ...though I've never personally heard of it happening in a defensive shooting of any type. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened. But for a defensive shooter, training to take "advantage" of a second strike capability falls under the "get you killed in da streets" category, IMHO. Not something I've ever trained for, and never seen it advocated in training, either. Though a gun shop owner near me did say that the choice of Sig over Glock showed my department cared about our safety, because we could keep pulling that trigger til the gun went "bang" in an OIS.
    Last edited by AMC; 05-20-2017 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Typing iz hard.

I have thousands of rounds through a TDA gun (stock 2). I found that for me a re strike was a bad idea. *for me* there wasn't enough reliability in a second stoke and I found that a quick tap rack was much more better.
    i used to wannabe

Many, if not most folks, who have shot defensively, do not recall how many rounds they have fired, with some revolver shooters documentably continuing to click on fired cases, without perceiving the lack of ignition, and so I think some DA autoloader shooters may not have noticed whether they had a failure-to-ignite that was then ignited by a second strike.

ETA: To be clear, I am not necessarily advocating second-strike capability as a factor in weapon selection. If I foresee using bad ammo, that would be likely to require a second strike, perhaps I should be using revolvers, with factory main-springs, and multiple revolvers, at that.
    Last edited by Rex G; 05-20-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Though a gun shop owner near me did say that the choice of Sig over Glock showed my department cared about our safety, because we could keep pulling that trigger til the gun went "bang" in an OIS.
    Sounds like he's watched too many '80s action flicks.

I've seen dedicated revolver guys do it during a match (and I realize the next press is a different cartridge - I mean they cycled all the way around to the one that didn't fire). But with a semi I can't think of any examples I've witnessed. I consider "second strike" capability as a gimmick. Every ninja magazine review of a DAO or DA/SA gun I can recall touted it and I always laughed at the author.

I can see where a shooter in a match might try it. And perhaps people exist who can effectively differentiate between games and street... I'm not that good. I would view that as a scar that could screw up my training. But that's why I only shoot OEM Glock triggers and shoot 99% of matches from concealment. Besides duty/defensive ammo is supposed to have reliable ignition so if I have a click on the street I want the next cartridge in line immediately.

User Tag List