Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Series 70 Colt Competition Pistol

Site Supporter

Series 70 Colt Competition Pistol

It looks like Colt is or will be offering a S70 version of their Competition Pistol. According to Mark Redl of Colt, all pistols marketed as "competition guns" will be converted to Series 70.

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.as...mno=COO1070CCS

I have no idea when these will be available, but they should be an attractive option for competition shooters or people who simply prefer S70 over S80 guns. My stainless CCP is S80 and the trigger is pretty good, but I've owned a couple of S70 guns with really nice triggers.

The list of S70 Colts has grown to:

Series 70 Repro
    Gold Cup National Match
    Gold Cup Trophy
    Colt Competition Pistol
    All Wiley Clapp models
    Custom Shop Stainless Series 70 limited run
    Last edited by Robinson; 05-20-2017 at 08:22 AM.

Sweeeeeeet!
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

I wonder if we'll see the Combat Elite return in S70...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Honestly...I never saw the huge problem with series 80. Heresy notwithstanding, the trigger on mine is decent. Plus the drop safe thing is nice.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Honestly...I never saw the huge problem with series 80. Heresy notwithstanding, the trigger on mine is decent. Plus the drop safe thing is nice.

A well tuned one is just fine.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Same, I think the merits of the FPB outweigh any (perceived?) impact it has on the trigger pull. More importantly, however, I just wish Colt would stop offering pistols with un-checkered front straps.
    Last edited by Matt O; 05-20-2017 at 09:46 PM.

Site Supporter

I don't think S80 is a problem either. All my current guns are S80. On the other hand, two of the S70 .45s I owned previously had the best triggers of any pistols I've owned. I think there are some competition shooters who greatly prefer S70 guns -- hence Colt converting all their competition-based models to S70. I guess.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    Same, I think the merits of the FPB outweigh any (perceived?) impact it has on the trigger pull. More importantly, however, I just wish Colt would stop offering pistols with un-checkered front straps.
    I think they should continue to offer the basic models (1991, S70 Repro) and the GCNM with plain front straps. Plus adding a checkered front strap on the CCP would price it too high compared to its competition (SA Range Officer).

Current production models with checkered front straps are:

Combat Unit Rail Gun
    Cold Cup Trophy
    Special Combat Government
    Custom Shop Stainless Series 70 Limited Run
    Wiley Clapp models

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I think they should continue to offer the basic models (1991, S70 Repro) and the GCNM with plain front straps. Plus adding a checkered front strap on the CCP would price it too high compared to its competition (SA Range Officer).

Current production models with checkered front straps are:

Combat Unit Rail Gun
    Cold Cup Trophy
    Special Combat Government
    Custom Shop Stainless Series 70 Limited Run
    Wiley Clapp models
    The only thing with this is that unless you want the giant M45 railed frame, one has to pay $1800 to get a factory checkered Series 80 Colt (SCG).

Honestly, the new Gold Cup Trophy looks to be exactly the sort of 1911 that Colt should be offering in the 21st century and, as it's a Gold Cup, it makes perfect sense it's a Series 70 offering. That said, if they could just offer something with the same checkering and magwell, but in Series 80 for those of us heretics who actually like a FPB, that would be fantastic. The likelihood of that happening is pretty slim though.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    It's hard to believe that CNC checkering would add a lot to the cost if the machining cell and routine is well designed.

User Tag List