Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "New" S&W .32 long, 1950 era, revolver

Site Supporter
    Very nice!
    So does this have j-frame type action? Coil spring vs leaf spring.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wow, that S&W .32 Long is in much better condition that my S&W .32 Regulation Police. Here it is when I purchased it and after a ton of prep work and refinishing in Cerakote. The abuse was enough that the filling nature of the coating was a blessing. Someone took a wire wheel to the side plate. It is a nice shooter that has less-than-zero collector value. The OP's revolver, on the other side, appears to be in great condition.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Joe View Post
    Just picked up this nice made in 1950, Pre-Model 30, 5 screw "I" frame, .32 long.

Chambered in the .32 S&W long cartridge.

This is actually a "5 Screw" "I" frame revolver. What great workmanship.

Since I have been known to carry .32 cal auto loaders for my pocket gun, I may actually carry this with modern ammo (In addition to this Magtech hp ammo, I have some Buffalo Bore hard cast wc and swc ammo coming.)

This is an all steel frame weighing in at only 19.9 ounces loaded (17.9 oz empty), it will be actually fun to shoot. Yes, I am going to shoot this gun. The 100 year old .32 hand ejector (5th change) shown below will not be shot. In fact, I just sprang for the $75 letter from S&W for this gun.

Man I love these .32's. If I keep this up, I may actually look for a more modern .32 H&R Magnum or a .32 Federal Magnum revolver to keep these oldies company.

Trooper Joe
    That's not a true I frame, it appears to be a tranistional model as there is no main spring retention screw in the front of the grip frame. A true I frame would of had a flat main spring like the Hand Ejector in the bottom picture. A word of caution, it's pretty easy to beat up the old 30s and 31s with hotter loads. Those guns aren't as strong as the later .32 Mags built on the Super J frame.

Regardless of my pedantry, that is a superb example and I am jealous.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Site Supporter

"New" S&W .32 long, 1950 era, revolver

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    A DAO S&W 637 6 shot .32 with a bobbed hammer, decent sights and a decent trigger would be a dream gun. Plus it would pair well with whatever I used as a full size gun.
    That existed (kinda sorta) at one point. The 431 and 432 PD models in .32 H&R and the 632 in .32 H&R (I think) and .327 Federal in various configurations (Powerport/Carry Comp, Centenial, Pro, etc.).

A 432PD and a 632 Pro are on my “must have one day” list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ragnar_d; 05-22-2019 at 01:04 PM.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    That existed (kinda sorta) at one point. The 431 and 432 PD models in .32 H&R and the 632 in .32 H&R (I think) and .327 Federal in various configurations (Powerport/Carry Comp, Centenial, Pro, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I have a 332 Ti. It is unpleasant to shoot with .32 Mags and the OEM stocks.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Absolutely beautiful, thanks for the pics.
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

Site Supporter
    I've got the 432 and the 632 SS comp'ed 2 inch guns. The 432 is my current lightweight carry given my back show, with a couple of speed strips for it. The 632 is fun to shoot and I shoot it in IDPA quite a bit with SW 32 Longs (bought a case). My buddies think it is a neat gun and it is. It has trouble with knocking downsteel with that load. With a full power 327, the recoil is not trivial.

Was at the LGS, and a guy was asking the clerk for a 32 revolver. The clerk was pushing a 38 so I opened my big mouth on the current state of 32s and got a dirty look. Oops.

The OP gun is beautiful.

User Tag List