Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 217: 3x5 Speed Push

Week 217: 3x5 Speed Push

Week 217: 3x5 Speed Push

Results may be posted until June 19th, 2017.

Designed by: Todd Louis Green
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: 3x5 card
    Start Position: Shooter's choice
    Rounds Fired: 40

You will need a shot timer for this drill.

This week's exercise is about pushing yourself for speed on a low% target. It will involve hitting a 3x5 card at seven yards. If you cannot consistently hit a 3x5 card at seven yards slow fire, then decrease the distance to one at which you can make 3x5 hits on demand when time is not a factor.

Start position is up to the shooter but should be consistent throughout the drill. The 3x5 card should be placed horizontally (3" tall and 5" wide).

There are two strings of fire:

String 1:
    During the first string, your goal is to get 100% hits.
    - On the beep, fire two rounds at the 3x5; record the time and the number of hits
    - Repeat for a total of ten runs (20 shots)

String 2:
    During the second string, your goal is to push yourself to manipulate the gun faster.
    - Set a PAR time equal to the fastest clean run you had during String 1
    - On the beep, fire two rounds at the 3x5 card trying to get both shots off before the PAR time is up
    - If you got both hits under the PAR, record your time
    - If you failed to get both hits under the PAR, record the number of hits you did get (zero or one)

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

- distance
    - Start position (ready, open holster, concealed, retention holster)
    - Best time for string 1
    - # of hits within the time limit for string 2
    - Best clean time for string 2

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

- distance: 7 yards
    - Start position (ready, open holster, concealed, retention holster): Hands at side, OWB concealed t shirt
    - Best time for string 1: 2.28
    - # of hits within the time limit for string 2: 8
    - Best clean time for string 2: 2.13

Name:  String 1.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  String 2.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  55.9 KB

Shot this on 5/20 with Glock 19 #2

- distance: 7 yards
    - Start position: concealed with an overly long polo and JMCK AIWB

String 1: I shot this too fast. Had 3 of first 5 runs where I dropped one shot. Times where in the 2.3x range, which I thought was normal since I often shot 2.1-2.2x with my CZ when I worked on index cards a lot. Somehow on my 8th run I hit a 1.93, then followed that with runs of 1.80 and 1.82 seconds.

Name:  3x5 -1.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  10.9 KB

Par based on string 1 = 1.80

String 2: I was really worried I'd screwed myself by shooting 1.80 as the par since I didn't think I could consistently hit that based on my past performance. Focused on trying to get a quick and clean draw, grip hard, and see the sights. Really surprised myself. I managed to get 12 hits under par, and shot several clean runs ranging from 1.55 seconds to 1.85 seconds.

Name:  3x5 - 2.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  10.9 KB

Going to need to run this more and see what I can learn with my recoil, grip, trigger and vision.

WCBT 92
    JMCK aiwb
    concealed under a fleece
    7 yards
    best clean time on string 1 - 2.42
    number of hits within time limit in string 2 - 10
    best clean time in string 2 - 2.41

I totally sucked it up on this drill. Even on the first string where I was supposed to go for 100% hits, I only had 3 clean runs and dropped 7 shots total.

I kept getting wrapped up in going faster and sacrificed hits for it which I know better than to do. While the goal is to push on the second string, which I did, I certainly wanted to have more clean runs(8 mikes, plus 2 outside of par for 10 total). The string two times were as follows

1. 2.15 -1 2. 2.05 -1
    3. 2.14 -2 4. 2.24 -1
    5. 2.25 -1 6. 2.34 -1
    7. 2.41 -clean 8. 2.26 -1
    9. 2.95 -clean 10. 2.43 -clean

So the point of the excercise was to move and manipulate the gun faster on the second string, which I did mostly and with 8 mikes vs 7 when I was going for 100% hits, so I guess it isn't as bad as it felt but it's certainly nothing to be proud of. I think the first string where there was no time pressure is where i'm disappointed the most, as I should have shot the whole string clean but kept wanting to do it faster than the previous run and ended up paying the price for it. I also had a bad problem eye sprinting and rushing to admire my f-ups. I've battled this on and off before and find that shooting more stuff at distance helps alleviate it, as I can't see hits and don't have the urge but anytime i'm closer (7 yards and in) the tendency is there and I have to focus hard to avoid it. Today I failed at that task.

Shot this the other day, perfect timing - been wanting to do some good work on this.

- distance 7 yd
    - Start position (ready, open holster, concealed, retention holster) G34/JM aiwb concealed under tshirt, hands at side
    - Best time for string 1 2.23 hit/miss, best hits 2.38
    - # of hits within the time limit for string 2 10
    - Best clean time for string 2 1.99

String 1 runs - - String 2 2.4 par
    2.24 m/h - -- -- 2.07 h/m
    2.61 h/h - -- -- 2.18 m/h
    2.42 h/h - -- -- 1.99 h/h
    2.38 h/h - -- -- 1.95 h/m
    2.65 h/m - -- -- 2.00 h/h
    2.38 h/h - -- -- 2.12 m/m
    2.23 h/m --- -- 2.16 h/m
    2.32 h/h --- -- 2.35 h/h
    2.59 m/h --- -- 2.13 h/h
    2.42 h/m --- -- 2.26 h/h

Name:  3x5 s.p. s1 5.23 (640x480).jpg
Views: 306
Size:  54.0 KBName:  3x5 s.p. s2 5.23 (640x480).jpg
Views: 308
Size:  50.8 KB

This was a GREAT way to shoot a box of ammo. Went pretty cautious on string 1, but really incorporated seeing my sights early and seeing them settle smoothly on the card. Then was nervous about being able to beat my time when I set the par, was pushing a little too fast at first and throwing shots but still had plenty of time. Went back to just being snooth but with a little more speed. Really enjoyed this, look to shoot it more and improve on it.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Beretta PX4CC
    - distance: 7y
    - Start position Concealed AIWB under a button up shirt
    - Best time for String 1: 2.42s
    - # of hits within the time limit for string 2: 13
    - Best clean time for string 2: 2.21s

Government 1911 .45
    7 Yards
    Open Holster
    Best time for string 1 - 2.89
    Number of hits under PAR string 2 - 15
    Best clean time string 2 - 2.37

Observations - this was a lot of fun. First time I've posted in a DOW thread.

This is a borrowed pistol I'm doing a long term test with. Using reloads with coated 200gr SWC and 5.0 of W231. They're a little snappier than I would like but the accuracy is excellent. 4.6 of 231 is almost as accurate and a lot softer shooting. It'll be my load going forward.

I didn't start checking splits until round 5 of the second string. Draw to first shot averaged around 2.25. When I had a miss the first shot time was actually slower than the rest. Most of my misses were due to a bad grip out of the holster. Round 1 and 10 of the second string were my fastest clean runs. On run 10 first shot was 1.86. I'm going to run this again in a few weeks and see if I make any improvements.

Sig 226R
    Distance: 7 yards
    Start position: Low ready (indoor range rules)
    Best time for string 1: 2.00
    # of hits within the time limit for string 2: 17
    Best clean time for string 2 : 1.62

Observations: My first post in DOW, also. I've just started shooting this 226 and this was a fantastic way to work through the DA/SA transition a few times. I'm hoping to get to my outdoor practice area next weekend and I'll run it again, from concealment. I think I was shooting too conservatively on string 1, as I had no dropped shots at all, and then didn't have too much trouble beating the par time for string 2. I'm interested to see how I do from concealment.

Ran this on 6/11

- 7 yards
    - concealed with polo and using JMCK AIWB
    - Shot string 1 a bit too aggressively. Had tons of runs with points down. The par time was 2.53 seconds
    - Had 10 of 20 shots hit within par
    - Best clean time was 1.75 seconds

Overall I noticed string 1 wasn't too dispersed, with some low shots on mostly 2nd shot but not too much lateral deviation. String 2 showed the lateral deviation in addition to low hits.

Name:  drill 1 of 2.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  16.8 KB

Pretty discouraged by that run. Refocused and shot string 2 again. This time got 11 hits within par. Best clean run was 1.64 seconds. Not great, but some improvement. While hits didn't really improve much, dispersion seemed a bit better on 2nd run.

Name:  drill 2 of 2.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  16.6 KB

Ran this on 6/15

- 7 yards
    - Unable to draw at the range, so shot from low ready
    - String 1 par was 1.41 seconds. Fairly slow, but largely due to lack of low ready work.
    - On string 2, I had 13 hits in par. All strings well in par time, but pushed shots low.
    - Best clean time was 0.80 seconds

String 1 was fairly well paced with only a couple flyers. A bit surprised how much faster it is coming from low ready. I noticed most of my misses are on the 2nd shot. It also seems I'm more consistent since I start with a fully built grip versus drawing from the holster. Means I got work to do. Good thing was there were almost as many high misses as low misses.

Name:  2017-06-15.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  18.9 KB

User Tag List