Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AAR: Tom Givens 2-Day Combative Pistol, Everett WA June 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Good deal. Let me know if you need anything locally sourced. (Although you'll be driving past most of the places I'd be looking...)

(I think I mentioned Sportco in Fife, across I5 from Campers World. Did I mention this is also close to an RV dump station?)
    Thanks Drang, I think I'm good. We arrive Everett 6/22, driving from Astoria to Lakeside RV Park, 0.4 mi from the range if I read the map right. I'll have Friday to run around for anything last minute. I'll probably stop by the range as well.

I picked up another 200 rounds of Federal brass 115 today here at the Walmart in Napa. Ammo stock is up over 1,000 rounds now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Getting everything assembled for class tomorrow.

All in, I have 1,213 rounds of 124/115 target ammo. 1,109 rounds are new Federal Champion 115 brass, a type that I've used before. The rest is new Speer Lawman 124, left over from Tac Con 16.

The only thing 'brand new' is the two HK magazines, #3 and #4, but I don't expect any problems.

My VP9 / holster / mags are going as my spare to my primary P30SK LEM. I have spare ear pro and eye pro. New batteries in the Sordins yesterday. Lunch drinks and snacks being put together.

We are staying in a nearby RV Park, and I made a trial run over to West Coast Armory last night to make sure I knew where it was. Looks like a nice facility.

Will try and focus on listening and hoisting in everything I can over the next two days.

Never been to WCA (or WCA North), so I hope I leave early enough to get there, but not too early.
    Name:  20170623_153638.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  76.5 KB
    P320 Carry, P320 Sub-Compact as backup.
    The orange box has spare AA batteries for the muffs; there's a similar one with replacement 123s for lights.
    Name:  20170623_153806 (2).jpg
Views: 584
Size:  100.8 KB
    Ammo can in middle is magazines, the unmarked ones are Compact size with the X Grip Adapter, which seem to work better for me in the Sub-Compact than SC mags...
    1000 rounds Speer Lawman 147 grain, plus a couple hundred rounds Blazer Brass mixed 115 and 124 grain.
    Not shown is the range bag, which hold eyes and ears, trauma kit, a squib rod, Hygenall D-Lead wipes, notebook, pen, UPLULA, etc.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Traffic here sucks unbelieveably bad. Allow time for excessive suckage.

Trust me, I am all too aware.
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Never been to WCA (or WCA North), so I hope I leave early enough to get there, but not too early.
    Name:  20170623_153638.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  76.5 KB
    P320 Carry, P320 Sub-Compact as backup.
    The orange box has spare AA batteries for the muffs; there's a similar one with replacement 123s for lights.
    Name:  20170623_153806 (2).jpg
Views: 584
Size:  100.8 KB
    Ammo can in middle is magazines, the unmarked ones are Compact size with the X Grip Adapter, which seem to work better for me in the Sub-Compact than SC mags...
    1000 rounds Speer Lawman 147 grain, plus a couple hundred rounds Blazer Brass mixed 115 and 124 grain.
    Not shown is the range bag, which hold eyes and ears, trauma kit, a squib rod, Hygenall D-Lead wipes, notebook, pen, UPLULA, etc.
    Drang,

That ammo can is a great idea. What kind of material is keeping the mags separated?

Glenn Reynolds

Thank you and have a great class!

ETA: And Rich too. Can't wait to hear all about it.
    Last edited by Francis; 06-23-2017 at 08:23 PM.

Huh.

What they need is a smaller, .30 cal RV ver...

Oh.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X8TZWI0..._sKDtzbRB2NA55

Never mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AAR: Tom Givens 2-Day Combative Pistol, Everett WA June 2017

6/24/17 Training Day 1

Initial class takeaways:

Awesome course, coming ABSOLUTELY at the right time for me. The instructional approach is first rate. Tom is one of those speakers who don't say 'um'. The signal to noise ratio is very high.

Words matter. As a retired Systems Engineer, definition of terms is huge to me.

Tom gives careful, reasoned instruction at a rapid pace. All concepts are defined. The 'why' is provided. It is clear he's thought, a lot, about the subject.

The stress in the class is good. You need to pay attention. Peer pressure ("Oh Lord, please don't let me fuck up.") is there. The task loading sharpens your reactions and makes you struggle to put the instruction into play. But that is a good thing; better stressed in class in order to perform when it counts.

Shot accountability is absolutely critical, and constantly emphasized.

Takeaways for me:

Time is not my problem.

Throwing a first round miss low and right under stress is. I need to use those bumpy things.

The LEM is proving challenging for 'me' to shoot fast. I'm struggling with the length of the press before the break. If I stage the trigger to the wall, I can break a good shot into a 1 1/2" dot. Other times it seems like I'm 'rowing a boat' and pressing through.

My mess ups were ALWAYS after a transition (reload) or when I forgot I had sights.

Hardware:

One of my new 10 round Mag #3 has very tight feed lips. It seemed to shoot fine. Watch item.

Had one misfire. The second LEM press did not fire the round. Cheap Ammo? Otherwise had no issues.

Reloads with the P30SK are a pain in the ass. Sometimes the mag did not drop. Actually most times. Frack. I had to pull the mag out once. Wtf.

Done tonight:

I cleaned the P30SK and all magazines.

I did a bunch of dry reloads to see if I could figure out the reloads. I found extending the pinky on my shooting hand seemed to help with smoother reloads. Did 20 reps. Better.

To do:

Put loose rounds and Maglula into left pocket, not right.

Make another mark on trigger finger and space TF to avoid TF bicep.

Keep working with thumbs up/out Grip.

Remember to do reloads up higher.
    Last edited by RJ; 06-24-2017 at 11:28 PM.

User Tag List