Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AAR: Tom Givens 2-Day Combative Pistol, Everett WA June 2017

AAR: Tom Givens 2-Day Combative Pistol, Everett WA June 2017

I am registered to attend Tom Givens' 2 Day Combative Pistol training class at West Coast Armory North, in Everett WA June 24/25, 2017.

The intent of this AAR is to record my thoughts both before and after the event, both as an aide memoire for myself but also for any others like me, new to shooting.

I feel very lucky to be able to take Tom's class. Not only is Tom one of the most recommended instructors on p-f, but the class itself meets all of the criteria I set for myself for a foundational Defensive Pistol course this year.

In addition, my summer travel schedule worked out such that my wife and I are traveling through the Pacific NW coincident with this course.

I will be taking my EDC, a P30SK LEM V1 in a Mitch Rosen leather 'Upper Limit', carried AOWB. I plan to bring my additional 10 round P30SK mag as well as my USPc 13 round mag w X Grip in a BT dual mag pouch.

I have 1,000+ rounds of new Speer Lawman 124, as well as BB and Federal 115 for ammo, all of which I've used.

Clothing will be my usual attire on the road: cargo shorts and a large T Shirt or untucked shirt. Since this is how I dress going to WalMart, I feel like this is how to take the class.

My backup gun will be my gamer VP9.

This will be my first 'Defensive' pistol course. I attended Tac Con 16, and did Frank Proctor's one day shooting course in April. I have an 8 hour TCCC-based GSW/Trauma course. For competition, I've done one Steel Match and two local USPSA Matches as a U shooter.

More to follow. I am really looking forward to this class.
    Last edited by RJ; 05-18-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    You and me both.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

You guys are killing me. I just couldn't do it on the date offered. Sux 2 B me...

Have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I took it with a couple other PF'ers about this time last year, AAR here:
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....une-25-26-2016

Thoughtfully packaged and well presented CCW essentials. Looking forward to your review here.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Rich I enjoy reading your post, they flow well. This along with your RV travels thread are bookmarked for updates. Speaking of your RV thread I need to send you a PM, I have a few questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll be there.

I took my first formal training from Tom. Looking through my files the first class I see is from 1997.

This class will make an even dozen with Tom if my files are accurate. I'm looking forward to training with Tom again.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Bring all of your mags, Rich.

And get a belt pouch or very sturdy bag to throw spare loose rounds into. You will do a lot of topping off and loading mags to specific round counts.

You will have a good time and learn a bunch. It's a really good class.

Quote Originally Posted by OnionsAndDragons View Post
    Bring all of your mags, Rich.

And get a belt pouch or very sturdy bag to throw spare loose rounds into. You will do a lot of topping off and loading mags to specific round counts.

You will have a good time and learn a bunch. It's a really good class.

Thanks O&D. I'm on the hunt for at least two more 10 rounder flat floor plate mags.

Ok, so I think I solved my magazine issue: I placed an order for 2 ten round flat base magazines at www.exilemachine.net. Should be delivered and waiting at our destination in Astoria OR when we arrive 6/15.

I chose this seller based on positive experience; they delivered my order last year from a Texas to my RV Park in Utah, no issues.

I picked the standard P30SK mag as it is most likely to be the one in the pistol when I need it for defensive use, so it seems reasonable to take the class that way. I have four of these mags now, as well as a sleeved USPc 13 round, so I can go to the line with 53 rounds.

Good deal. Let me know if you need anything locally sourced. (Although you'll be driving past most of the places I'd be looking...)

(I think I mentioned Sportco in Fife, across I5 from Campers World. Did I mention this is also close to an RV dump station?)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List