Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neck Shot Placement

There are always exceptions to the rule and anecdotal evidence that support or contradict good and bad theories or practices. The decision needs to be made based on highest likelihood,target that is available and ability to deliver the hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhSACg_QWz4

Here you have solid hit,plenty of penetration and possibly the first shot of the engagement yet a successful outcome for the good side and unsuccessful for the badguy.

I don't use the neck as a specific aiming point but it has some value for stopping a threat so why not use it on the way from the chest to the head. Even if a badguy is wearing body armor it doesn't cover high chest perfectly especially if the badguy is leaning forward,falling,wearing the vest improperly or loosely etc. Each person and each incident has plenty of variables that make any blanket statement to use or not use something always anecdotal until there are a lot of anecdotes to support it.

Then there is this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebTM7zp41Vk
    Last edited by octagon; 05-24-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Thank you for not texting me this question.
    I'm not really that dense. I just pretend to be on PF.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I know a LE officer who took a through-and-through shot laterally through the neck with a .45 Auto 230 gr FMJ fired from a 1911; he didn't even know he was hit for several minutes and suffered no long lasting deficits...
    He should be buying lottery tickets every single day.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Would not be my first choice for a firearm, but if that's all you got, then so be it. Hand strikes, knife, pencil or other muscle propelled device = pretty decent choice IMO.

Something else to noodle over if how the target area shrinks even more when a person naturally turtles up and dips their chin a bit. We are pretty genetically predisposed to protecting that area.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    He should be buying lottery tickets every single day.
    Won't work, used up all his luck at once.....
    Last edited by Chuck Haggard; 05-24-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I agree with Doc, but I do note that both of the successful pistol "Mozambique drills" I know of from first person accounts went like the original as outlined by Jeff Cooper, shooter got excited and was heavy on the trigger, neck shot resulted, with the spine being clipped and ending the fight.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I agree with Doc, but I do note that both of the successful pistol "Mozambique drills" I know of from first person accounts went like the original as outlined by Jeff Cooper, shooter got excited and was heavy on the trigger, neck shot resulted, with the spine being clipped and ending the fight.
    "Three Alphas"
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Louis Awerbuck wrote an article for SWAT a few years ago about targeting the neck. True to form, he referenced lions killing antelope with neck bites. African critter behavior aside, he made a good point about necks making a steadier target than a bobbing head, as well as an overall larger one than the cns box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.swatmag.com/articles/go-for-the-throat

Thanks--couldn't remember where I saw that
    Last edited by Gater; 05-28-2017 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I know a LE officer who took a through-and-through shot laterally through the neck with a .45 Auto 230 gr FMJ fired from a 1911; he didn't even know he was hit for several minutes and suffered no long lasting deficits...
    This reminds me of an LSP Trooper in ancient times who took a handgun round to the neck on a traffic stop. He chased the shooter down, shot him, and met ambulance along the way to the hospital. Wish I could remember the details on weapon and ammo.

User Tag List