Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig sued over defective pistols

The story I heard about the P7's was they were run way beyond what they should have been without needed maintenance. The story goes some of the malfunctions they had were tied to the lack of maintenance. That being said, it's a story. Others may have better information on the whole deal.

Quote Originally Posted by PSBT4117 View Post
    The story I heard about the P7's was they were run way beyond what they should have been without needed maintenance. The story goes some of the malfunctions they had were tied to the lack of maintenance. That being said, it's a story. Others may have better information on the whole deal.
    They do have a fairly strict maintenance regiment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The P7 or NJSP?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    After my own experience with a 229 of similar vintage, I would not assume the fault lies with ammo, lack of lube, improper maintenance practices, or ANYTHING other than SIG being SIG.
    I take it you had issues with yours?

The P7 or NJSP?
    Lol. The P7. No idea on NJSP

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I take it you had issues with yours?
    Failures to extract, unfixed after two trips back to SIG.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The P7 or NJSP?
    Yeah, the gas tube needs to be scraped fairly regularly, and if that's done the wrong way, you can mess it up and the frame could be borked.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

The big issue with the P7s boiled over in 1997 when Trooper Scott Gonzalez was executed by shotgun while trapped inside his cruiser as he was involved in a collision with the subject. He returned fire and at some point his P7 suffered a stoppage/malfunction that he was unable to fix, at which time he was murdered.

HK investigated, I think it was actually the late Jim Schatz (HKPRO member G3Kurz) who lead the investigation. If I remember correctly the gas pistons were out of spec from military style cleaning, using wire brushes on everything. During the investigation they also found that 147gr ammo is particularly prone to malfunctions in the P7 due to the inertia being on the edge of the operating envelope for the gas pistons (the gun being designed around NATO 124gr). Note: I'm not sure if NJSP used 147gr, or if that was just something they learned during the investigation.

Don't hold my feet to the fire on the details, it's been almost a decade since I owned a P7 and researched that stuff.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/14993-tr...ott-m-gonzalez
    Last edited by TGS; 05-18-2017 at 08:20 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ReverendMeat View Post
    Failures to extract, unfixed after two trips back to SIG.
    That sucks.

Long extractor I take it? The explanation I've gleaned from copious amounts of internet hearsay is that the "short" extractor was too costly to machine, so they wanted a MIM solution. The MIM part had to be bigger to hold up, hence the longer extractor--which they (apparently) had issues getting right. Not sure that's 100% true, but seems logical I guess. FWIW, I have a P239 (short extractor) and it's never missed a beat. Though I guess the NJPDs legacy P229s with short extractors puked anyway. Maybe they fired the guy who still knew how to make short extractors?

One other loosely related point of extractor interest... is that Arex went with an internal extractor, which all Sigs originally had, back in the Mulder and Scully days. I've yet to hear a bad report on Arex guns. Nor have I really heard any bad reports on P228s and stamped P226s.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The big issue with the P7s boiled over in 1997 when Trooper Scott Gonzalez was executed by shotgun while trapped inside his cruiser as he was involved in a collision with the subject. He returned fire and at some point his P7 suffered a stoppage/malfunction that he was unable to fix, at which time he was murdered.

HK investigated, I think it was actually the late Jim Schatz (HKPRO member G3Kurz) who lead the investigation. If I remember correctly the gas pistons were out of spec from military style cleaning, using wire brushes on everything. During the investigation they also found that 147gr ammo is particularly prone to malfunctions in the P7 due to the inertia being on the edge of the operating envelope for the gas pistons (the gun being designed around NATO 124gr). Note: I'm not sure if NJSP used 147gr, or if that was just something they learned during the investigation.

Don't hold my feet to the fire on the details, it's been almost a decade since I owned a P7 and researched that stuff.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/14993-tr...ott-m-gonzalez
    Regular maintenance and NOT USING WIRE BRUSHES are things specifically outlined in the manual for the P7.

User Tag List