Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Sig sued over defective pistols

Site Supporter
    Going back to the OP, a NJ LE source tells me NJSP uses Speer Gold Dot 124 grain for duty and Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ for training. Both are good quality ammo in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Going back to the OP, a NJ LE source tells me NJSP uses Speer Gold Dot 124 grain for duty and Speer Lawman 124gr FMJ for training. Both are good quality ammo in my experience.
    Interesting, that is what we use in 9mm at our department, for both training and duty. We have a Sig p228 very very old one, a P229, and several P320 all in 9mm and they eat the stuff with no problems at all. The poor 228 that the officer has is well over 26 years old, and has had thousands upon thousands of rounds put through it. That same officer was carrying it when he was my first FTO in 1993, and he had it 5 years prior to that. It does rattle more than most 1911 I have seen, but still shoots like a house of fire, and runs like a top.

Here is a picture of it. old school work horse. Sorry for rambling, I just love old Sigs.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 05-26-2017 at 04:41 PM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    Interesting, that is what we use in 9mm at our department, for both training and duty. We have a Sig p228 very very old one, a P229, and several P320 all in 9mm and they eat the stuff with no problems at all. The poor 228 that the officer has is well over 26 years old, and has had thousands upon thousands of rounds put through it. That same officer was carrying it when he was my first FTO in 1993, and he had it 5 years prior to that. It does rattle more than most 1911 I have seen, but still shoots like a house of fire, and runs like a top.

Here is a picture of it. old school work horse. Sorry for rambling, I just love old Sigs.

TXPO
    That pistol looks insanely good for a gun that old, let alone one that has been used as an LE duty weapon and subjected to all the conditions that go along with that!

This thread convinced me to reconsider my original plan to pick up a new blue label P229 as a backup to my carry gun, so I went ahead and snagged a new/old stock P229 9mm that had been languishing on GunsAmerica at a decent price. It has a 4/09 manufacture date, but the sights and magazine are listed as being from 08. It's definitely a transition gun (German frame, MIM hammer/trigger, machined locking block, solid roll pin, shiny barrel finish with silver hood, more rounded slide, plastic guide rod). Other than a very stiff trigger, it has the build quality one would hope for from a SIG handgun, if not quite the elegance of the guns built in the 90s/early 2000s. I'm going to be dropping a Gray Guns trigger and DAK conversion kit into it, but will report back once that is done and I put some rounds through it.

While I was doing the transfer paperwork the gun store employee brought up SIGs decline in QC. He mentioned that they had sent two SIGs back in the last week (one was a 1911 variant, I believe) because they didn't have springs installed in the magazine releases, which just fell out when the LGS took the guns out of the boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post

TXPO
    Makes me all nostalgic. My first duty gun at my current agency was a 228. Ran the dog piss outta that gun without ever having a jam I can remember in who knows how many thousands of rounds I put through it.
    Last edited by Lon; 05-27-2017 at 12:06 AM.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Sig Sauer Responds To New Jersey State Police Lawsuit - The Firearm Blog

Below is the statement that was released to The Outdoor Wire. As always, we will keep you updated of any changes or developments as they come.
    STATEMENT REGARDING NEW JERSEY STATE POLICE
    May 21, 2017 – Sig Sauer, Inc. is aware of the lawsuit recently filed by the State of New Jersey regarding its purchase of the Sig Sauer P229 model handgun by the New Jersey State Police (NJSP).

The NJSP selected the Sig Sauer P229 handgun as its new duty weapon after conducting an in-depth review and exhaustive testing of available handguns. Sig Sauer developed a version of the P229 specific to the requirements of the NJSP, and delivered to the NJSP as scheduled in the summer of 2014.
    Following delivery, the NJSP informed Sig Sauer that it was experiencing failures during qualification training with their training ammunition. Sig Sauer immediately began working with the NJSP to determine the cause of this failure and resolve the issue.
    Sig Sauer’s investigation of the failure mode indicates a contributing factor may be a compatibility issue between this unique NJSP P229 and the specific training ammunition used by the NJSP. Importantly, these failures were limited to the training ammunition used by the NJSP, and the P229s functioned when using their duty ammunition.
    Sig Sauer had been diligently working with New Jersey officials to resolve the issues associated with the P229 handguns it purchased. In light of these discussions, Sig Sauer was surprised that New Jersey filed a lawsuit. Sig Sauer is committed to customer satisfaction, and stands ready to continue these discussions and work with NJSP to reach an equitable solution.

Last edited by Drang; 05-27-2017 at 08:49 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

My 1989 P226 has changed hands a few times, but still going strong. Not sure on the round count, but probably over 50k.
    "A man with an experience is not a slave to a man with an opinion."

My first "good" gun was a 229 I bought during the ban era. I sold it to a friend of mine and used the proceeds to buy a Glock 27.
    I was an idiot. I unsuccessfully tried to buy it back, no luck.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Under the heading of fwiw related to some of the points made in this thread.

L&O group own Sauer Blaser Rigby Minox and Sig amongst others. That's the only real link between Sig and Sauer now. Same holding company but otherwise independent.

The German government have pretty much stopped all German Pistols from leaving the EU or NATO countries for a while now. Might be a few outside still getting but I know we've been on the Nein list for a while now

At least some P320 extractors and firing pins are made in India per the labels on the bags.

Currently Glock do their own MIM parts.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Vending Machine Operator
    As a lawyer, that is a surprisingly demure and polite response to a law suit by a PR department. Someone at Sig PR is very good at their job and knows taking too aggressive a stance with a client agency could lose them other contracts.

After getting back on the military/LE radar in a BIG way with the 320, it looks like Sig is being careful to keep that cachet, even when sued. Smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    From the above text..."Sig Sauer developed a version of the P229 specific to the requirements of the NJSP...."

I wonder if the specs for the problem guns were a significant departure from the specs for the standard legacy Sigs. Could the malfunctions be a result of the departure from standard? This could just be sights, grips or some other change unrelated to mechanical function. Being NJ, there is also the possibility of some PC based mechanical change that is hampering reliable function. Anyone know what the "custom" touches are?

User Tag List