Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig sued over defective pistols

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Prett sure the Mk25 is no different than a standard short extractor, except has phosphate on the internals (and most people probabl don't know that it only serves as a carrier for lubricant, no more, no less), and has a label on it of an anchor/upc.
    Finally, someone else understands how phosphate works!

Anyway, the Mk25 also has a 1913 rail, which might mean something. Personally, I wish Sig would just forget their proprietary rail except for servicing fleet buyers and go 1913 on everything.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Anyway, the Mk25 also has a 1913 rail, which might mean something. Personally, I wish Sig would just forget their proprietary rail except for servicing fleet buyers and go 1913 on everything.
    Unlikely to happen due to holster compatibility.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

I can remember when the ONLY known ultra reliable, super accurate, phenomenally finished, semi auto pistol was SIG SAUER. The articles by Duane Thomas, and Jan Libourel(?) were constantly hammering home the SIG greatness. I bought my first SIG in 1995 and thought I was almost as good a shot as a Secret Service agent simply because I had one!

I wouldn't spend the money now for a new one when I can pick up barely used mid '90's series in that $500 range. It's a shame though that a company who everyone else was compared to back in the day, has to resort to gimmicks and clever marketing (?) to generate
    sales. It seems HK owns the market that SIG once dominated.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I was pretty excited for them...until I held one. Reports of canted sights were made here on PF and in other places upon release. Finish issues were also reported. "Higher end" didn't extend to better QC.

I wonder if the same marketing could be applied, though. Isn't the Mk25 "that gun" already? Better internals and whatnot? (Seriously, I'm asking)
    Honestly, I'd pay more for my 1988 scalloped-rail P226 than a Legion, any day.

Just don't tell anyone on Armslist that...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    You would be surprised how many gun parts are made by Indo-mim. Enough that they used to advertise in American Handgunner magazine.
    I don't have a problem with MIM, per se. Or even MIM from India. As long it's coupled with excellent QC and... it works. HK has a lot of MIM on their guns. They're some of the toughest guns you can buy. But I do think they make their MIM stuff in house.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 05-24-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    They had a very strong presence in the LE market in the Eighties and Nineties, but US LE's decade-and-a-half-plus flirtation with the .40S&W cartridge and Beretta's lag in making a gun specifically designed to function with it killed that.

The Beretta 96 wiped out Beretta's US LE market share.
    Just ask ISP who was tickled pink to go to Glock when Paul Whitesell became Superintendent, and drop the Beretta like a sack of potatoes. Although their love affair with the Glock was more like Fatal Attraction! I heard not too long agar that they are considering ......... the P320 in lieu of their P227's.

I "grew up" in LE with Sigs. My first agency was issue-only - and we carried P228s. They served me extremely well through some significantly intense training and deployments in the immediate-post-9/11 timeframe. We shot them a LOT, and maintenance was minimal. My current agency was "Sig Only" when I started, issued a P228, bought a P239 and P226R quickly. These were both Pre-Cohen or just after Cohen arrival pistols - made in Germany (my issued Sig was OLD, had been turned in by another agency as "worn out" and gladly grabbed up by us and reissued). They were all uber reliable and accurate - great pistols all around.

If I could guarantee I was going to get a pre-Cohen quality pistol, I'd be willing to pay more for a P228, P226R, or P239. Unfortunately, as much as I love Sigs, their QC and CS have been in the shitter for way over a decade now. Not sure how they come back from that - and, frankly, I don't think they give a shit, especially with the huge contracts they just landed. If history of Sig's QC changes in the wake of large contract awards (looking at the DHS award for DAKs), things will get worse, not better.

Again, my hope is that the P320, which was designed from the ground up as a mass production pistol like the GLOCK, will fare better with less QC attention. Time will tell.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Here's a crazy idea. How about since the P320 is going to be their new mass produced and affordable hotness, why don't they scale back the production of the classic series, go back to machining everything, and I dunno, just charge more for them? I'd rather pay the higher price for a reliable metal pistol that has the pedigree that the Classic P-series has than to pay less for a crappy POS that's going to fail.

Sent from mah smertfone using tapathingy
    Yeah. It'd be nice. Still... I'm just not sure the "Sig Sauer" of today is the right company to make the kind of pistols that everybody misses from the 90s. I don't know all the ins and outs of the sell-offs and divestitures... but, suffice to say, it's a different company than it was.

Shit, transfer the P-series rights back to J.P. Sauer, exclusively. They probably know how to make the things better than anyone. So you have a $1000 "Sauer P226," made in Germany, with good, old-fashioned QC on par with a fascist regime. You, me and everyone on this forum is happy. And you have a $500 "Sig Sauer P320" made in New Hampshire, for military, police and everyone else.

I can dream...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I don't have a problem with MIM, per se. Or even MIM from India. As long it's coupled with excellent QC and... it works. HK has a lot of MIM on their guns. They're some of the toughest guns you can buy. But I do think they make their MIM stuff in house.

I do not disagree. There is good MIM and bad MIM. What makes HK "good" MIM is not just that it is made in house to high QC standards but that their MIM parts were designed as MIM parts from their inception based on the strengths and weaknesses of MIM parts.

Where MIM goes bad is identically duplicating parts which were originally designed to be forged / machined and does not take into account the different properties of the two materials.

India is perfectly capable of making good or bad depending on what the customer specifies and more importantly what the customer is willing to pay for in term she of QC and reject rate.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Yeah. It'd be nice. Still... I'm just not sure the "Sig Sauer" of today is the right company to make the kind of pistols that everybody misses from the 90s. I don't know all the ins and outs of the sell-offs and divestitures... but, suffice to say, it's a different company than it was.

Shit, transfer the P-series rights back to J.P. Sauer, exclusively. They probably know how to make the things better than anyone. So you have a $1000 "Sauer P226," made in Germany, with good, old-fashioned QC on par with a fascist regime. You, me and everyone on this forum is happy. And you have a $500 "Sig Sauer P320" made in New Hampshire, for military, police and everyone else.

I can dream...
    That would mean no SIGs at all as SIG Germany has been barred from exporting guns by the German Govt.

User Tag List