Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig sued over defective pistols

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Armorer probably took them all apart and put them back together wrong. ...
    Hey, at least they didn't take themselves apart.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Were there any problems with the P7M8?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I seem to remember some troopers getting the stupidity stripe from reholstering with grip compressed and finger on trigger. Edge of holster pushes finger, BANG.

http://www.guns.com/2017/05/18/new-j...pistol-defect/

P229s delivered in 2014 with a barrel issue that caused FTE. Sig was, at least per the article, hopelessly flailing around trying to figure it out by throwing parts at it. That seems to be a common manufacturer response, combined with blame the user.
    Also about ~2013-2014, Sig made some part changes that deadlined a chunk of brand new P226s at agencies here in the high plains. One after another those guns stopped working at about the same, early interval. They were prompt in the fix with no blame on users, but the damage done in some significant toeholds is long-lasting.
    Last edited by ST911; 05-18-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    That sucks.

Long extractor I take it? The explanation I've gleaned from copious amounts of internet hearsay is that the "short" extractor was too costly to machine, so they wanted a MIM solution. The MIM part had to be bigger to hold up, hence the longer extractor--which they (apparently) had issues getting right. Not sure that's 100% true, but seems logical I guess. FWIW, I have a P239 (short extractor) and it's never missed a beat. Though I guess the NJPDs legacy P229s with short extractors puked anyway. Maybe they fired the guy who still knew how to make short extractors?

One other loosely related point of extractor interest... is that Arex went with an internal extractor, which all Sigs originally had, back in the Mulder and Scully days. I've yet to hear a bad report on Arex guns. Nor have I really heard any bad reports on P228s and stamped P226s.
    Yes, long extractor M11-A1. The extractor and extractor springs were replaced the first trip to SIG, which did not solve the problem. That, and the strong 100% extraction/ejection of my long extractor P226 makes me certain enough that the issue with my pistol (and surely others') had little to do with the extractor though I'm still at a loss as to what it would be.

And FWIW the internal extractor SIGs I've shot (especially the P228s) had weak extractors and bobbled around brass almost as bad as Glock 19s.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by Phlux View Post
    A slightly different take...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...ing-p229s/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I stopped reading, and refuse to take what they say about SIGs seriously, after reading this utter nonsense:

The SIG SAUER P229 was designed and created in response to the need for a more compact version of the P226. Folks like the Navy Criminal Investigation Service wanted a gun that was just like the P226 used by Navy SEAL teams, but more compact so it could be concealed and carried while on the job.

To that end the P229 is a chopped down P226 with shorter barrel and nearly identical frame and grip.
    Last edited by DMF13; 05-18-2017 at 11:29 PM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    It's TTAG. When they do get something right, it's probably because they've scraped the content from elsewhere without attribution.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Yeah, the gas tube needs to be scraped fairly regularly, and if that's done the wrong way, you can mess it up and the frame could be borked.
    Not as much as regularly as you might think, but we didn't buy crappy practice ammo.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Site Supporter
    http://www.guns.com/2017/05/18/new-j...pistol-defect/

P229s delivered in 2014 with a barrel issue that caused FTE. Sig was, at least per the article, hopelessly flailing around trying to figure it out by throwing parts at it. That seems to be a common manufacturer response, combined with blame the user.
    Five things come to mind reading this.

1) this reads like every "my gun sucks and the manufacturer sucks too" thread ever written on the internet. Step 1) I had FTEs right out of the box. Step 2) I sent it back to Sig. They swapped a part. I really want to like this gun. 3) Gun still jams. Step 4) Try gun again.

No work?

Step 5) Sell it for Glock 19.

lol!

2) This does NOT portend of good things with the new MHS contract.

3) Seriously puts a pause button on my own consideration of a 229

4) Man they had patience...I'd have been done after the second repair.

5) Please tell me those cops didn't use those on duty due to no other resources...
    Last edited by fixer; 05-19-2017 at 06:25 AM.

I experienced the same issues that the NJSP had. The extraction issues for me started about 200 rounds into a 500 round range session. Sent it to Sig who claimed it was in spec. Had the same issues again and back it goes. Needless to say I sold it with a warning about the issues. Never heard back from the guy so who knows what happened. I will say that in my experience Sig Customer Service was horrendous. The employees there sound like they would rather have a Root Canal than help out a customer. I would also have to say the same about Beretta. More and more it seems Glock is the way to go. The pros of using that pistol system are far too many to ignore. Great Customer Service,Spare Parts Everywhere, and the cost of the gun.

My agency has been a Sig agency as long as I've been affiliated with it. We started with P226's in 1991. They were completely reliable and gave great service across the board. In 2007, we replaced them with P226 DAK's in .357 Sig. These had the "legacy" style extractor. They have been completely reliable and gave great service. As we have had to purchase supplemental weapons (agency expanding, retirement pistols, etc.) we purchased some with the new "long" extractor. When using Speer Gold Dot 124 grain (our duty ammunition), reloading from slide lock would result in a failure to feed. We were able to isolate it to those "long" extractor pistols exclusively. When we communicated the issue to Sig, we got the run around at first, until we got to the next level. They sent someone from the factory to come check the pistols out. It turned out that a batch of slides had the breech face cut at the most minute of angles. According to the Sig representative, he believed there had been something that pushed the blank slightly off angle in the milling machine to cause this. They replaced all of our "long" extractor slides with "legacy" extractor slides. We have had no problems since.

What worries me is that we have 550 M400 SBR's with Sig Romeo4 optics awaiting BATFE approval for transfer to my agency. We will be replacing all the issued rifles with those. I am hopeful that these issues that New Jersey experienced are related to the endless variety of P-series variations Sig put out over the last several years and will not crop up in the rifles.

User Tag List