Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig sued over defective pistols

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar

Sig sued over defective pistols

http://www.guns.com/2017/05/18/new-j...pistol-defect/

P229s delivered in 2014 with a barrel issue that caused FTE. Sig was, at least per the article, hopelessly flailing around trying to figure it out by throwing parts at it. That seems to be a common manufacturer response, combined with blame the user.

They were limp wristing

Last edited by warpedcamshaft; 05-18-2017 at 09:32 AM.

You'd think if they had the experience and expertise somewhere in the company to design firearms they'd be able to understand why their design failed, too.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

A slightly different take...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...ing-p229s/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    You'd think if they had the experience and expertise somewhere in the company to design firearms they'd be able to understand why their design failed, too.
    So, TTAG will point the finger at the ammo, but not state what ammo was used when the problems were caused. This doesn't sound like good journalism.

I do see their reasoning for discussing that ammo could be a factor in the extraction/ejection problems, but then to not find out or report what ammo was used, but make an allusion to cheap steel cased ammo, seems kind of cheap.

It would be nice to have some independent study of the firearms and ammo. This may have actually been done as part of the law suit. It would be nice if that info was available, but it may not be made public until after the case is heard. I will reserve judgment against a manufacturer of ammo or the firearms until that kind of objective info is available.

Apparently they bought Glock 19s instead last year, while the P320s Sig had sent for evaluation after those P229 "supposedly" failed badly.

Quote Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
    So, TTAG will point the finger at the ammo, but not state what ammo was used when the problems were caused. This doesn't sound like good journalism.
    I don't know that either the word "truth" or "journalism" are particularly relevant when referring to that site.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    They were limp wristing

and using weak ammo.

Well, it's not like the P229 is an unknown quantity. The gun has been around for decades (I got my first P229 in 1996), and tens of thousands have been issued over the years. Granted, the design has been tweaked here and there, but I'm still inclined to believe that this was a problem with this batch of guns, ammo, or agency rather than a platform problem. Having said that, I do tend to agree with the premise that the further one moves away from the legacy P-series design with new extractors, triggers, etc., the more likely one is to experience problems.

Then again, maybe it's just New Jersey...things tend to suck in that state.
    Last edited by Sensei; 05-18-2017 at 02:00 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Well, it's not like the P229 is an unknown quantity. The gun has been around for decades (I got my first P229 in 1996), and tens of thousands have been issued over the years. Granted, the design has been tweaked here and there, but I'm still inclined to believe that this was a problem with this batch of guns, ammo, or agency rather than a platform problem. Having said that, I do tend to agree with the premise that the further one moves away from the legacy P-series design with new extractors, triggers, etc., the more likely one is to experience problems.

Then again, maybe it's just New Jersey...things tend to suck in that state.
    Yeah. Maybe. But allegedly they replaced the first batch with a second batch (of "legacy" slide 229s) and still had problems? Weird.

Remember this thread? https://pistol-forum.com/poll.php?po...do=showresults

I dunno. I love Sigs. But sometimes I wonder about the newest ones.

User Tag List