Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: .22 LR ammo - what do you use?

I have found that the new this year Winchester M-22 runs great in my S&W15-22. I am up to 550 rounds without a malfunction in the 15-22. It also runs great in my Ruger 10/22 and my Ruger 22/45. Super-X in 40 grain loaded to 1255 fps also runs good. The "plated" or "copper washed" bullets work better for me than those rounds that have bullets with just a wax lube. The M-22 is in a 1,000 round pack. I bought my M-22 at the local Academy Sports for $45.99 per 1000.

$45.99 per 1000.
    In comparison, CCI Blazer here is 15 bucks per 550 and CCI Mini-Mags are 8 bucks per 100. Looks like an interesting mid price point ammo.

The Fiochhi was about 45 bucks per 500.

Has anybody tried this

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=5&loadNo=0953

I just got a great deal on a 15-22 by trading some old ammo and I saw this in my cabelas book (i am sure I can get it cheaper somewhere else) but this was made specifically for the S&W. Are the 15-22s picky about what you feed them?

Ga Shooter, not more than other .22s, but the manual states that no subsonic ammo or several Remington products (+ Winchester Wildcats) should be used. Acquaintance of mine bought a 15-22, went to the range, came back and complained that his 15-22 busted the extractor while shooting. Yep, Remington ammo.

I put one K of Mini-mags down range, then started using Blazer. No issues, though Blazer is a 3 inch (group) round at 50 yards with a cheap RDS.

I've always thought using bottom end ammo was a false economy.

I don't use Eley Tenex for plinking or anything, but about as low as I'll go is CCI Mini-Mags.

Usually, I'll shoot inexpensive "match" ammo like SK or the like (I really don't ever "plink").
    Last edited by agent-smith; 01-07-2012 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Ga Shooter, not more than other .22s, but the manual states that no subsonic ammo or several Remington products (+ Winchester Wildcats) should be used. Acquaintance of mine bought a 15-22, went to the range, came back and complained that his 15-22 busted the extractor while shooting. Yep, Remington ammo.

I put one K of Mini-mags down range, then started using Blazer. No issues, though Blazer is a 3 inch (group) round at 50 yards with a cheap RDS.

Thanks for the heads up. I did not get the box or any papers with the gun. I am really bummed about no subsonic I was planning on putting a can on it down the road.

CCI Mini Mags and Stingers have been the most reliable in my semi-auto .22s, but the Stingers are a little hot. I believe they are the cause of the cracked slide in the Walther P22 I once owned. Federal Auto Match are a close second to Mini Mags in reliability, but they are not plated and may not be allowed at some ranges.

Federal bulk and Winchester 333/555 from a big-box store are my preferred practice fodder in my Buck Mark. They function more than 98% of the time and are reasonably accurate. They will generally hold a 1-inch group at 7 yards, which is adequate for my training needs. Missfires are rare.

Remington Golden Bullets are by far the least reliable of the bulk ammo I've run. They are pretty peppy, but they missfire so frequently that I won't buy them.

I am really bummed about no subsonic I was planning on putting a can on it down the road.
    My take was "no ammo marketed as subsonic" like the Remington brand. I don't think the Fiocchi target ammo went super sonic out of my 15-22.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    How long ago? The "early" M&P15-22 rifles were known to have extractor issues regards of ammo used.

I've shot a LOT of sub-sonic ammo out of mine (SBR'd and suppressed) without issue.

My guess is that S&W just meant that they can't "guarantee" if the rifle will function with sub-sonics (not enough ass to cycle the bolt) but it works fine.

Well, at least mine does (and the several people I know that shoot sub-sonics from theirs all report good results).
    Last edited by agent-smith; 01-08-2012 at 09:04 AM.

A/S, got mine in 2009. So his was from ~ late 2009 to 2010ish. Yes, his extractor blew out.

I may throw a scope on my 15-22 and see what sort of groups I can get with various types of ammo. I stuck a RDS on mine and never looked back.

User Tag List