Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using "stacked Magazines"?

using "stacked Magazines"?

While cruising some older topics on another forum I came across someone, fairly well known, advocating the use of stacked magazines. i.e. using mixed ammo in a single mag, so JHP, Ball, JHP, ball etc. While not exactly a new idea I've never seen it discussed before. What's the general consensus on mixed ammo magazines? I've always used a single round for consistency and what I thought would be greater reliability. Is there another school of thought on this?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by part-time shooter View Post
    While cruising some older topics on another forum I came across someone, fairly well known, advocating the use of stacked magazines. i.e. using mixed ammo in a single mag, so JHP, Ball, JHP, ball etc. While not exactly a new idea I've never seen it discussed before. What's the general consensus on mixed ammo magazines? I've always used a single round for consistency and what I thought would be greater reliability. Is there another school of thought on this?

Thanks.
    Why would you want to? Modern JHPs penetrate intermediate barriers more consistently than any FMJ loads in existence barring purpose built AP rounds.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Having recently witnessed my carry ammo shot through intermediate barriers, along with FMJ, I have zero concerns. I will continue to carry Federal HST 124gr +P.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

In the old days, we really didn't know what we didn't know. The idea behind "stacking" or "candy caning" was that if your JHP failed to penetrate, the FMJ would. As we know now, JHP tends to clog and act just like that FMJ in most instances.

Back when the "Silvertip" was the only game in town, guys used to carry a magazine of FMJ if an automobile was a possible engagement area.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    In the old days, we really didn't know what we didn't know. The idea behind "stacking" or "candy caning" was that if your JHP failed to penetrate, the FMJ would. As we know now, JHP tends to clog and act just like that FMJ in most instances.

Back when the "Silvertip" was the only game in town, guys used to carry a magazine of FMJ if an automobile was a possible engagement area.
    That's the kind of context that often gets lost when people mention various things that *now* may sound weird. At one point it was the best thing to do.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

LOL, yeah. The old days actually sucked. Buy your Colt Series '70, go straight to the gun smith to put decent sights on, trigger job and polish the feed ramp. I once saw a S&W Model 59 that (by live fire testing) could actually shoot 50 rounds of Federal 9mm JHPs with out a problem get sold for $350.00. New, they were in the mid 200s.

Today you can get ten times the gun for maybe twice the money. And good ammo.

I do it.

But not in a pistol.

I have enough choices in rifle/carbine ammo that a mix of particular loads make sense, given the proper environment.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

If I did that my Detectives would have an aneurysm processing the scene.

Honestly, if I'm shooting at a target and my ammo isn't producing the desired effect .... maybe it's time to change my target area or go to another weapon system.

We are diminished
    For a CCW or domestic LE duty pistol where JHPs are readily available? I have a hard time grasping what the perceived benefit would be. I cannot for the life of me think of a single LE agency that follows (or authorizes) such a thing, either. I do know plenty of military units that wish they could carry JHP instead of FMJ in their pistols.

Even if we discount the countless obvious benefits of modern JHP ammo with its engineered penetration and expansion, you're trapped essentially not knowing whether the next round out of your gun is going to be an effective anti-personnel projectile or a solid penetrator. Instead of having predictable performance and capabilities each shot, you're stuck guessing or hoping that the bullet you're about to launch is the "right type" for what it needs to do this moment.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    In most intermediate barriers that the average LE officer or citizen is likely to need to shoot through, repeated application of a decent JHP load will accomplish pretty much the same thing that repeated application of FMJ rounds will accomplish.

User Tag List