Thread: best 9mm ammo out there?

Post best 9mm ammo out there?

plan to purchase a cz p-07 duty 9mm and i want opinions on what is the best and most accurate ammo out there.

You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

45Lefty,
    Are you referring to practice type (FMJ) ammunition, or duty type (JHP)?

I shoot alot of Sellier&Bellot 9mm, it's made in the Czech Republic, priced well, and has shot very well in any 9mm sidearm I've shot it thru.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    I shoot alot of Sellier&Bellot 9mm, it's made in the Czech Republic, priced well, and has shot very well in any 9mm sidearm I've shot it thru.
    ...and it'll sure let you know if it's time to replace that mainspring, too!
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Consider your desired effects

45Lefty,

I recommend that before choosing a load to describe as "best and most accurate" you define in specific terms what effects you most desire. Are you an IDPA shooter that needs relatively little recoil for fast follow up shots? Are you looking for consistent expansion, penetration and reliability? Are you primarily looking for a load that is inexpensive for voluminous practice, yet will not put undue wear and tear on your gun? Start from your objective, whatever effect of shooting a target is (eg, super tight shot groups on paper, massive tissue trauma, etc), and work backward. In short, there are a million quality manufactured loads out there, and every shooter will have a very strong opinion on what is best according to their own values paradigm. Please just be sure you know what you are after before you start considering various loads and spending lots of money. Remember that no matter what load you choose, it's got to work reliably and consistently in your chosen weapon. Anyone who owns more than one gun or has tested numerous hollow point loads for their concealed carry weapon can tell you that not all ammunition will keep their weapon running. Good luck!

Jet Joe

IMHO accuracy in pistol ammo becomes critical when you are doing bullseye shooting and bullseye competition. The vast majority of 9mm Brass/Aluminum Ammo is accurate enough for range practice and IDPA and USPSA. I shoot a Cz75 in competition, so first I want to welcome you to the Cz club. They are very reliable guns and accurate as well. I don't own a P07 but may sometime soon.

I purchase ammo 2000 rounds at a time, which is the most cost effective based on my consumption of about 800-1000 rounds a month depending on the month. My recommendations are based on trying just about every kind of target ammo there is. I have tried a lot of self defense ammo, but not everything because it is so expensive.

Here are my recommendations:

1) Avoid Steel-cased ammo entirely. Avoid ammo with any steel in the bullet. I have seen frequent reliability problems with my Cz and my other handguns. Ranges are very fussy about any bullets with steel in them and frequently check them with a magnet to make sure. Besides, the cost difference between bulk brass ammo and steel is not enough to justify it. (It may work fine in some weapons but most pistols will be fussy)
    2) I have found these brands to be problematic with my Cz and other handguns: Seller & Bellot leaves my gun dirty with residue from the power; Aguila ammo has feeding problems in my Cz and my Kimber. I bought a case of 500 and had at least 10 FTF's (I think it has to do with how they crimp their ammo. Also kinda dirty).
    3) Good factory reloads are perfect for practice and I rarely see problems with them. I recommend Jack Ross reloaded or freedommunitions.com "blaster" ammo or freedom's regular reloaded ammo. I use their 147gr factory reloads for competition and never see ammo problems. Note that if you are going to do training in the dark do not use Jack Ross...they produce more of a fiery muzzle blast.
    4) For new factory ammo I purchase whatever I can get that is cheapest from these brands: Federal American Eagle, Lawman, CCI Blazer Bronze, Federal white box, Winchester white box, Remington UMC.
    5) CCI Blazer Aluminum cased ammo is great and I do buy it when I find good deals. I don't reload so no big deal that I lose the casings. I have never had reliability problems. I like the added bonus that the ammo weighs less. But I can find brass ammo at close to the same so, again why try to save a few dollars.

For a great listing of current prices on 9mm ammo, check the following user-supported web site (no affiliation): http://gun-deals.com/ammo
    My favorites for purchasing are:
    Natches http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?co...g=0&category=3
    http://www.targetsportsusa.com/c-51-9mm-luger-ammo.aspx No shipping on cases of ammo!!!!!
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...9mm-luger.html Low cost shipping!!!
    http://www.freedommunitions.com/category-s/1818.htm For reloaded ammo, they are probably the best priced and very quick shipping and cheapest available.
    http://www.jackrossammo.com/9mm/ They are backordered but best quality for the price.

Try a case of freedommunitions blaster and case of new 9mm from freedom and see how they run in your gun. If the blaster reloads are reliable, just keep ordering those. If you shoot a lot, place an order for Jack Ross in advance.

I really like the Federal Hydrashok 147gr ammo for self defense but find it just too expensive. My second choice is Winchester T-Series 147gr. I am not a believer in +P or +P+ ammo....too much of a chance the round will go through the target and hit something or someone else. SGammo..com usually has the best Self-defense ammo prices. Right now they have the 50rds - 9mm Federal HST 147gr HP hollow point LE ammo P9HST2 fir $24.95 plus shipping...good price. They also have some Winchester HP Bonded for $19.95 a box plus shipping.

Let us know how you like the Cz.
    CC

cclaxon,
    the Hydrashock is old school ammo best left on the shelf. in 147gr 9mm the Ranger-T is a much better choice, as is the HST. We used to used the 147gr, and later the 124gr, Hydrashock at my job, both proved to be very poor choices in 9mm duty ammo.

Ref +P; you really need to read more on that subject. These loads are no more likely to overpenetrate a bad guy than the 147gr loads. In 9mm some of the very best ammo you can buy is in the 124gr +P flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    cclaxon,
    the Hydrashock is old school ammo best left on the shelf. in 147gr 9mm the Ranger-T is a much better choice, as is the HST. We used to used the 147gr, and later the 124gr, Hydrashock at my job, both proved to be very poor choices in 9mm duty ammo.

Ref +P; you really need to read more on that subject. These loads are no more likely to overpenetrate a bad guy than the 147gr loads. In 9mm some of the very best ammo you can buy is in the 124gr +P flavor.
    This.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This.
    Thanks for the info. I didn't realize there was that much diff between HST and Hydrashok. Now that I look at the box, it is HST that I was thinking of.
    Thanks,
    CC

For defensive use, all my research has pointed me to Federal HST 124gr, Federal HST 147gr, and Speer Gold Dot 124gr. With regards to accuracy, I use them in all of my glocks and have very good results.

User Tag List