Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision Rifles

Precision Rifles

Who's running a shorter barreled precision rifle? Work or play, let's see your sub 22" bolt guns. I'm contemplating a new rifle build, and would love to see some ideas. Aside from a picture, tell us whatever you'd like to about your rifle, especially if it isn't obvious.

Site Supporter
    My favorite rifle is my version of an LTR:

Trued 700 - .308
    20" Schneider 5P Barrel (.298" bore)
    M40A1 Stock

I run 155g Lapua Scenars, usually at 2900 fps, and it performs quite well.

If I had to do it over again, I'd go with a 22" 6XC, Remington varmint contour (or medium palma), and a Manners stock to save weight. I often run mine with a suppressor, so I can't go too thin at the muzzle or there's not enough shoulder.

I like that it's handy and runs pretty well; I've taken it out to 1350 Yards with great accuracy.
    Last edited by JV_; 12-27-2011 at 10:40 PM.

This is my Remington 700 AAC-SD in .308 with a 20" barrel. I bought a used Bell and Carlson M40 stock, added an EGW 20 MOA rail, a Pride Fowler 3-9x, and a Bolt Lift (inexpensive, really good piece of kit!). I did a good deal of reading on the theory that shorter barrels are stiffer and shoot just as well if not better than the longer ones. I had a 24" FN SPR before this and vastly prefer the Remington. Just need a sling and a bipod.....

#RESIST

I firmly believe the era of .308 bolt guns is over for LE use--save the bolt guns for long range engagements using .300 Win Mag or even better .338 Lap Mag. The new breed of 16" semi-auto .308's (KAC SR25 EMC, LaRue OBR or PredatAR, FN Mk17/SCAR-H)--are more versatile and effective than any .308 bolt gun for common LE duty use.

JV,

Which Manners stock? I have the MCS-T, and a McMillian HTG, and I think the McMillian is a bit lighter, and can be made lighter still.

LL,

I think that's the best factory base these days. How does it shoot? I have the plain old SPS tac, and wish yours was on the market when I bought the tac.

Doc,

I hear you, but I love bolt guns. This is not for work, just for me. I'm planning on shooting a PredatAR in a few weeks, and may get one then, but it will never have the grace of a good bolt gun:-) I've even gotten away from DBM in my bolt guns.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Which Manners stock?
    Dunno, I'd like to play with the MCS-T, all of my other stocks are T4s.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I've even gotten away from DBM in my bolt guns.
    CRF actions?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    It was built as a joke, sort of. We had a junked Turk Mauser, a .30-cal Lilja AR barrel, and a box of .300 Whisper ammo lying around, and a little 20-watt bulb went on over my head.

Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking and had the muzzle threaded 1/2x28, which kinda limited my choices in commercially-available .30-cal cans at the time to... well, nothing. So it's been sitting in the back of the safe (for years) while I decide what to do with it.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    I'd probably give the MCS-SL a whirl, it's 28 oz...

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    It was built as a joke, sort of. We had a junked Turk Mauser, a .30-cal Lilja AR barrel, and a box of .300 Whisper ammo lying around, and a little 20-watt bulb went on over my head.

Unfortunately, I wasn't thinking and had the muzzle threaded 1/2x28, which kinda limited my choices in commercially-available .30-cal cans at the time to... well, nothing. So it's been sitting in the back of the safe (for years) while I decide what to do with it.
    Nice looking gun. How does it shoot?

JV,

Mostly CRF, though I have a 700 and a Surgeon in there for good measure. The Surgeon is not actually mine, but the owner won't seem to take it back, so I'm stuck feeding and walking it.

The ultralight Manners do look interesting, and I've talked to Tom about them from time to time. It sounds like he'll have a new version out at SHOT.

User Tag List