Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad advice for beginners?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I would agree with this...especially on the military part.
    I just discovered this gem a minute ago:

"I served for 21 years in Air Force Intelligence and have carried a few weapons in that time and nothing has felt so well to shoot as this Carbine it is just a great weapon." From http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/comm...community.html in reference to a Hi Point carbine. Point proven.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    I just discovered this gem a minute ago:

"I served for 21 years in Air Force Intelligence and have carried a few weapons in that time and nothing has felt so well to shoot as this Carbine it is just a great weapon." From http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/comm...community.html in reference to a Hi Point carbine. Point proven.

J.Ja
    Yeah, cause intel peeps know their weapons... Not.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    Did you see the picture in the link? It was quite a sight. Remind me that if I ever pose for pics with a firearm, to do it in a room that my wife had no hand in decorating.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Did you see the picture in the link?
    RULE #5296: If you proudly display your Hi-Point carbine in a mail-order stand meant for pawn shop katanas, you might be a complete and total fucking dork.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

"Intelligence" is a relative term.

Quote Originally Posted by seabiscuit View Post
    I wish I could disagree, but my SSgt keeps bragging on his Bushy Carbon 15 saying he's fired a couple hundred rounds through it and it's as good as the rifles we're issued. I tried telling him there's a reason why our issue rifle isn't made by Bushmaster and that a couple hundred rounds is what I'd shoot in a single range session, but he throws out the old "have you owned one?" argument. Also doesn't help that he's a SSgt, and I'm an A1C which doesn't bode well for him taking my advice.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by will_1400 View Post
    ...my SSgt keeps bragging on his Bushy Carbon 15...
    God, those things are such wretched, pulsating balls of suck and fail. There are very few firearms I loathe more, except maybe the pistol version.

It's one thing to sell somebody a garbage heater for $199.99, but back when Professional Ordnance was still selling those things, they were charging big union dollars for them.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    God, those things are such wretched, pulsating balls of suck and fail. There are very few firearms I loathe more, except maybe the pistol version.

It's one thing to sell somebody a garbage heater for $199.99, but back when Professional Ordnance was still selling those things, they were charging big union dollars for them.
    The really frustrating thing about it is he complains about how expensive guns and ammo are but sees no problem buying a brand new Toyota Tundra...

Did you see the picture in the link? It was quite a sight. Remind me that if I ever pose for pics with a firearm, to do it in a room that my wife had no hand in decorating.

J.Ja
    Holy smokes.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock,
    who trains my hands for war,
    my fingers for battle.
    -Psalm 144:1

We are diminished
    The worst advice I've ever heard: Don't look elsewhere.

It's all too common in this industry and the bright glowing neon sign of incompetence in my opinion. Actively discouraging students from training with others, of trying to convince them that only you & your gang know the secret sauce recipe, is just about the greatest disservice you can inflict on a new shooter. I appreciate the ego gratification of having groupies/fans/cult members ... I have some, too. But as a few of the guys on this forum can tell you, I've actually pulled people aside and told them, stop coming to my classes until you've spent some time practicing on your own and have taken at least one class from another instructor. No one should fall into the trap of thinking that one instructor has the best solution for every possible situation for every possible shooter.

User Tag List