Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-Defense for average people

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Ok?
    Initial thoughts- Endurance sports, contact sports, medical profession - triaging people in a ER when they al need help smut require a form of mental toughness, I'm sure there are others.

I think someone who has mental toughness developed in another area has a bit of a head start in the fighting / defensive realm.

As we used to say when I taught at my agency's academy, we can teach you to fight, we can teach you to shoot but we can't teach Heart.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-17-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Initial thoughts- Endurance sports, contact sports, medical profession - triaging people in a ER when they al need help smut require a form of mental toughness, I'm sure there are others.
    Right, but the topic is about self defense so I'm not following.

Site Supporter
    Right, but the topic is about self defense so I'm not following.
    People who have developed mental toughnesss in other areas will be ahead of the game when they apply it to developing mindset and skills for self defense.

For example, if I give you a new BJJ student who is medical professional who is used to handling mental pressure i.e. Making life and death decisions etc they will already have an appreciation for rapid decision making and having to be "comfortable being uncomfortable" they will also have an appreciation for accepting a situation as it is and responding appropriately vs the typical modern American "I can't believe this is happening".

Having worked with trainees coming from both backgrounds. I can tell you the ones with a base of mental toughness "get it" much quicker.

People who have developed mental toughnesss in other areas will be ahead of the game when they apply it to developing mindset and skills for self defense.

For example, if I give you a new BJJ student who is medical professional who is used to handling mental pressure i.e. Making life and death decisions etc they will already have an appreciation for rapid decision making and having to be "comfortable being uncomfortable" they will also have an appreciation for accepting a situation as it is and responding appropriately vs the typical modern American "I can't believe this is happening".

Having worked with trainees coming from both backgrounds. I can tell you the ones with a base of mental toughness "get it" much quicker.
    That's too much of an absolute for my experiences. I haven't noticed the same.

The guy asked for self defense tips, the heart/mindset thing is a given in my book. You either already have it through past life experiences or you unlock it in future life experiences. That's it. Like height, some have it, some don't.

General rant:
    I feel like when people continue to push the mindset thing it's a cop-out for not having real advice for things we can control. It's like telling me I need ammunition to do live fire drills, no shit.

Site Supporter
    That's too much of an absolute for my experiences. I haven't noticed the same.

The guy asked for self defense tips, the heart/mindset thing is a given in my book. You either already have it through past life experiences or you unlock it in future life experiences. That's it. Like height, some have it, some don't.

General rant:
    I feel like when people continue to push the mindset thing it's a cop-out for not having real advice for things we can control. It's like telling me I need ammunition to do live fire drills, no shit.
    It sounds like your idea of "self defense" is pretty narrowly defined in terms of combatives and firearms. While both are cool, and have bern life long hobbies of mine, I think soft skills like awareness and avoidance are under appreciated and under trained.

There are some pretty clueless people out there. When I get the "self defense" type inquiries, I usually have then listen to the ballistic radio episodes with Craig Douglas and Dr William Aprill on MUC / Awareness / Avoidance. Their reaction to those tends to be a good indicator of whether it is worthwhile for them to pursue anything else like combatives, non lethal or firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    So here is my question: What level of training does an average person need to provide BASIC self-defense?
    If this is an opinion survey, can I play?

Self-defense revolves around distance. For civilian self-defense, there are basically only two distances: (1) over there and (2) right here.

OVER THERE: Be able to draw from concealment and strike a 3X5 index card two times at 7 yards (on demand) in under 2.5 seconds. The first hit is important. Accurate first hits are very important. You don't have to do speed reloads, run to cover, or clutch your pearls. Two hits to the index card at one car length in 2.5 seconds. That's BASIC self-defense with a pistol.

RIGHT HERE: Commercial martial artists in the McDojos are fond of using terms they seem to be able to adequately define. Many of them (but not all) will use the term "complete martial art" and if you ask them what that is, they'll say "You're lookin' at it". Actually, there's a specific definition for the term, and it's found in the children's game Rock, Paper, Scissors. Remember how that was played? Paper covers rock. Scissors cuts paper. Rock breaks scissors. That's a complete martial art. Grappling defeats boxing. Joint locks defeat grappling. Boxing defeats joint locks. A fundamental unarmed self-defense would include a couple of power strikes, some defensive and some offensive grappling moves, and a few joint locks. Most MMA instructors could put together a very effective short course containing these necessary techniques. It would have to be very clear to them that you're absolutely not interested in the sport of MMA. You're only interest is in life / death street struggles. A rational person with a job and a mortgage would be shocked at what some MMA instructors could teach if they had a student with the right mindset.
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 05-17-2017 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Spell checker cant check spelling for shirt!

Self defense for "average" people starts with situational awareness,not a gun or a knife.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

It sounds like your idea of "self defense" is pretty narrowly defined in terms of combatives and firearms. While both are cool, and have bern life long hobbies of mine, I think soft skills like awareness and avoidance are under appreciated and under trained.

There are some pretty clueless people out there. When I get the "self defense" type inquiries, I usually have then listen to the ballistic radio episodes with Craig Douglas and Dr William Aprill on MUC / Awareness / Avoidance. Their reaction to those tends to be a good indicator of whether it is worthwhile for them to pursue anything else like combatives, non lethal or firearms.
    Yes, they are important. I am not sure whether I am giving "average" people too much credit or you are giving them too little.

I interpret the original question as a question about physical skills due to his joke about not becoming a "pistol ninja," rather than becoming a psychic.

Your head can't be on a swivel 24/7. I don't like to count on seeing things before they happen, but if that's going to be the regurgitated advice, I'll bow out and let you guys indulge.

Somehow many forum threads get molded into what the responders want it to be, rather than answer the OP's question. I think he already knows awareness and avoidance are important since he mentioned them both in his OP.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    Developing the proper mindset will provide for the resources each person requires for themselves. Everyone will have different levels of willingness, preparedness and awareness.
    This.

Once you think you need it, the answers and path will become clear and obvious.

You can't force someone into the "lifestyle" and you can't teach mindset, mental toughness, or what're you want to call it. Christ, half the people that think they have it, don't.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    So here is my question: What level of training does an average person need to provide BASIC self-defense? (I am not asking how people become Pistol Ninjas.)
    Thanks,
    Cody
    I am thinking at this question as if my mother was asking.
    My answer is going to assume local options only, and people who main interest in not firearms

Firearms:
    NRA Basic class > NRA personal Protection outside the home class > NRA personal protection in the Home class. These cover the very basics and give some serviceable skills
    Local Concealed carry seminar if available. Covers basic legal aspects
    Local level IDPA matches. Possible only 2-4 a year just to shoot more varied environments. (also the fun and social options may increase overall interest)

Books:
    Fighting Smarter by Tom Givens
    Most current legal book by either Massad Ayoob or Andrew Branca
    An Emergency Medical Responder study book

Medical:
    A basic first aid class. often taught by local EMS providers, some will also cover TQ use

Combatives
    Krav, BJJ or any other available option. I figure this is the least likely class to be attended due to the long term commitment and physical nature

Total cost for every thing should be less than $500, and around 30-40 hours invested. It should build a basic foundation which will serve most people well as is, or act as a gateway for more/better training.
    Last edited by Artemas2; 05-18-2017 at 06:51 AM.

User Tag List