Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-Defense for average people

My $.02 so its not worth enough to get gum but based on my years of experience in literally nothing, I would proffer situational awareness. Thats the most important factor in any event. Secondly, keeping cool.
    Last edited by Zincwarrior; 05-17-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Secondly, keeping cool.
    How does one go about training / learning to "keep cool"?

I'm a part of our organization's security team, and I've had to introduce n00bs to the fact that they're not in Kansas anymore.

The first step is Risk Assessment. One needs to sit down and go over what the risk are, what's the likelihood of that risk happening, what's the impact should it happen, and what can one do to keep it from happening.

The second thing we emphasize is Situational Awareness. A rare quality in theses days of constant mobile phone usage. Too many people are too hung up in Pinterbooking that cool tribal thingy in the town market to notice the rascal sidling up to them until he snatches her purse and runs off.

Third, in this land of poor travel infrastructure, travel planning are emphasized. Even during a simple trip to town, one needs to do a bit of planning. For instance, one should visit the stores with unsecured parking lots first, then go to the places with guarded lots. If traveling a long distance, let someone know where you are going, how you plan on getting there, when you expect to get there, and when to send the cavalry if you don't check in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    How does one go about training / learning to "keep cool"?
    Outisde of living through a whole bunch of traumatic events like my dad, er don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    \
    As I said in my original post, what is needed will vary by location, by age. I think the opponent will come with location.
    The question I am asking is what do experts here think is the minimum required or basic skillset that everyone should know. From there, risky locations would add more requirements. While it's always possible someone will encounter a violent gangbanger in Boise (to use the euphemism), it is much less likely than encountering a violent gangbanger in Baltimore or SE DC or the Chicago Projects. But I am asking what the minimum skillset should be...what we would call basic set of skills. I think I have a good start on that list, then add on defensive driving and CPR/FirstAid skills. I think basic understanding of a firearm (i.e.-safety rules, grip, hold, manual safeties, unloading, etc. )

My daughter lives in Richmond. She came home one night and a stranger was in her apt burglarizing it, ran past her. Scared the hell out of her. She wants to learn to shoot, and I am teaching her. But she is not ready to carry one around town. I trained her on pepper spray and flashlight defense, situational awareness, timing her travel, etc. I think that covers her for most situations around town. In her apt, she can use her gun, if necessary. Over time she might be ready for CCW, but she has a long way to go. And, I think most people are in a similar situation.

Cody
    Cody, I'm glad to hear your daughter was unharmed. Sounds like you, and her, are on the right track. Rory's book, Facing Violence is an excellent book. I would also highly recommend Gavin De Becker's The Gift of Fear. Lot's of good info given already, and I'm sure the information flow will continue.

I'll add one suggestion for your daughter to consider, a little outside the specific self defense topic here, but germane to her security...

There are many options now to turn on your lights remotely. Some are bluetooth with mobile apps, are quite affordable, and can be found on Amazon or big box stores like Target/Walmart. Set up one or two, and depending on the design/layout of her apartment building and parking, she could potentially turn lights on before ever getting out of her car. Not a perfect solution for all situations (like daytime), but at least another layer of security and piece of mind. Beats walking into a dark apartment, alone, apprehensive, and unarmed.

ETA: Apparently they've improved the tech since I looked at this last. There is now WiFi enabled light bulbs. Crazy. Guess you can turn them on and off from anywhere now.
    Last edited by StraitR; 05-17-2017 at 04:15 PM.

Self-Defense for average people

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Sherman House did a great article on this a couple years ago. I'll have to see if in a find it when I get to a real computer. I think you're on the right track.

General health. Diet and exercise.
    Awareness training. For personal defense, this is key. Something like Craig Douglas' MUC, Tom Givens or William Aprils class would be a great start.
    Medical training.
    Defensive driving
    Some sort of unarmed defense. I would nitpick that you could probably do better than KM, but assuming the instructor is any good, you could do a lot worse. That discussion has been had ad nauseam.
    Less lethal option. (Pepper spray, etc)
    Firearm training.

Order and prioritization will vary depending on the beginner's interests and weaknesses.
    Thank you David for the mention.

The essay you referenced is here:

https://revolverscience.com/2016/04/...lian-defender/
    @Tom Givens was kind enough to reprint it in his excellent Rangemaster Newsletter, here, if you want it in a format you can print out and give to friends looking for answers:

http://rangemaster.com/wp-content/up...Newsletter.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 05-17-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Developing the proper mindset will provide for the resources each person requires for themselves. Everyone will have different levels of willingness, preparedness and awareness.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Self-Defense for average people

Good thread. Thanks to @Sherman A. House DDS, that is a good article, that I enjoyed reading.

I know my priorities, as a newcomer to pistols four years ago, have changed a bit. I still do not want to be a victim.

But I realistically understand that my risk of a MI is probably higher than being attacked by a sword-wielding member of ISIS. So I joined a gym this year, and am trying to watch my weight.

Last year I took a 8 hour TCCC-based medical/GSW course.

This year I took a one day shooting course with Frank Proctor (I guess falls under 'elective' lol) but my main defensive focus is a 2-day Combative Pistol Course with Tom Givens in June.

On my 'to do' list is some kind of MUC training.

Due to my lifestyle (full time RV) I am in an out of strange gas stations and WalMarts regularly. I run into sketchy people from time to time.

I utilize stuff I learned in John Murphy's segment at Tac Con '16 frequently. Example: "Unexpected movement toward you is the number one pre-assault indicator." And: "AAA: Always Avoid Assholes." I also frequently carry Sabre Red pepper spray in a Mk6 container.

But I would really benefit from a formal MUC course. For instance, I know about 'the fence' from watching the excellent videos by Mr. Paul Gomez, but I don't currently have a 'tape loop' developed. I do like what I read recently on a SouthNarc thread I think it was:

1) Ask them, 2) tell them, 3) make them.

As in:

1) Please stop right there, sir, that's far enough.

2) BACK THE FUCK UP!

3) (assuming 1) and 2) don't work, and I perceive a threat) I'm out at low ready.

(^^^ Forgive me if this is messed up; my DK is probably showing, and I need a MUC class)

I am interested in the responses from the trainers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 05-17-2017 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Can't frikken type

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    As I said in my original post, what is needed will vary by location, by age. I think the opponent will come with location.
    I'd just like to highlight this sentence as a thought that needs investigation.

Imagine this: Cop A treats every stop like officer friendly precisely b/c he patrols an upper middle class neighborhood. Who is trying to get into upper middle class neighborhoods?

At least Cop A has a gun, a cruiser, a computer for info, back up, lights, ballistic vest, etc. What do you have? Pepper spray? Light? Gun? etc?

At least Cop A tends to be responding to a call. You or your loved ones will be the call he's responding to and hopefully be only a few minutes a way. How does that factor into your planning?

As I tell students as young as 4, "why do we do our best all the time?" Because having a varied sense of techniques for Baltimore, MD vs Greenwich, CT is a fool's errand. Do your best level of technique everywhere and anywhere. Your self-defense techniques shouldn't vary from locale to locale. Perhaps your methods of SA/NPE may differ in a city vs back woods country, but the concept should remain the same.
    Last edited by BaiHu; 05-17-2017 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Added Some Stuff
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

You're going to get so many more qualified opinions than mine that i hesitate to chime in but, hey, it's the internet.

Bluntly: if someone has read that excellent Rory Miller book; carries a less-lethal alternative; carries period; can keep the Claude Werner standard of hits in a 12" circle on demand out to, say, 50 feet; and cultivates good avoidance and awareness skills, then they are good to go for most of life this side of a mumbai shopping mall. Get some legal (ayoob, branca) and medical going, and i want them on my team; i don't care how old and frail they are. All the stuff we tend to do around here (BJJ, striking arts, FMA, courses from pipe hitters, dry drills, and the list goes on) is overkill unless you live under cartel rule. I do all that stuff because i get my jollies from it, and it rounds me out as a person, since i spend my days around beauty and art and shit. But, mostly, i get jollies from being a training junkie timmy wannabe. Otherwise i would have stopped at "med, legal, permit and avoidance." JMO.

User Tag List