Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-Defense for average people

As the old saying goes, "the perfect is the enemy of the good". The all or nothing approach to anything can turn off the novice from even learning the basics, yet the basics can make a Uuuuuge difference in keeping away from danger.

-The old "stay away from stupid people doing stupid things at stupid places during ungodly hours", plus a dose of good old dumb luck will keep a majority of people out of trouble.

-The above, plus a good dose of situational awareness will keep one from trouble that the utterly oblivious will walk into.

-Add in actively thinking about risk, and constantly planning contingencies- where's my exit? Am I boxed in? Where's the weak points? What is that guy doing, and why? Why are all the people running in that direction? What should I do, and where should I go? Why is my door open?- things like this mean you can get away from trouble while not wasting valuable time.

Simple stuff like this doesn't need tons of training to do. Don't get me wrong, the more training you get, the better at it you will be. But every little bit helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but that strikes me as a way-beyond-average level of commitment.
    I am not sure if you are joking or not.
    Assuming you are not: For Krav/BJJ, learning to shoot and carry defensively very well...those all take many days... I was going to Krav 3-4 days a week before I passed my level test. I still go 2-3 days a week. Plus, dry fire practice a little every day and longer some days. Plus live fire at the range and then matches.

I think most people are willing to go 4 Saturdays or Sundays or take one week of training in a year. Some are willing to do twice that. But getting past that first weekend is the challenge.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

The perception by the average person is that it DOES take too much of a long term commitment. Perhaps that is the perception that needs to change?
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

I'm an above-average dentist. I'm required to do 70 hours of CE for my license, every two years. I don't think I do 4-10 Saturdays a year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    The 'average' person is not interested in proactive violence. What I mean by that is our fascination with techniques that respond to a threat with really hurtful measures. Shooting, cutting, twisting, punching, choking, kicking, gouging, spraying with obnoxious chemcials, etc. Avoidance is just fine with them. If you could develop a teleport ring so you could beam out of a situation - the vast majority of folks would buy it. Carrying instruments of violence is not attractive for most folks either.

I will put it out there, that for many of the training junkies, competition shooters, martial artists aficionados - there is an attraction to learning the ways of violence. Of course, we say it is just to protect ourselves but more and more immersion in the techniques - you have to like it. Conquering your enemy in real life or in competition gives you a dopamine blast. That is not to say that using violence doesn't have negative psychological consequences also. But, shoot a clean stage with head shots - you feel great!

The average person isn't into that. Thus, teaching avoidance and common sense is most of the variance. Learning some simple escapes, first aid - great if they will do it. However, there is a study that went for a realistic red man attack on women with the standard self-defense class technniques and they didn't come out so well. The women thought it was an eye-opener. I also read that it more likely for a woman to take a class and get the basics and that's it. They are less likely to keep on and get excited when Super Teacher X comes to area for an esoteric class.

Folks forget that because you like the 'violence' (but really don't say you do), that others will like it. Flame suit on, from someone who loves to take classes and compete within the limits of my finances and old fart abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I am not sure if you are joking or not.
    Assuming you are not: For Krav/BJJ, learning to shoot and carry defensively very well...those all take many days... I was going to Krav 3-4 days a week before I passed my level test. I still go 2-3 days a week. Plus, dry fire practice a little every day and longer some days. Plus live fire at the range and then matches.

I think most people are willing to go 4 Saturdays or Sundays or take one week of training in a year. Some are willing to do twice that. But getting past that first weekend is the challenge.
    Cody
    No I'm not joking.

The time you describe spending going to Krav Maga and dry firing (daily), plus live fire practice and matches, I think is way beyond average.

I think the average person is willing to listen to someone they think is more knowledgeable than themselves, for maybe 5 minutes or so. That's what I think can be realistically expected. They might buy a self-defense item or two, of whatever kind generally appeals to them. They might take one class, but probably not. That's what I think average is. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    I agree, I would also point out half the country doesn't have more than $500 in the bank. So going to classes and matches - who has got that disposable income? Enthusiasts?

You come home from work and deal with the SO and kids? Now go to a class 4 times a week. I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    The 'average' person is not interested in proactive violence. What I mean by that is our fascination with techniques that respond to a threat with really hurtful measures.
    Completely agree. But I do think many people are growing more and more concerned about their personal safety. Krav/BJJ/Boxing/MMA/etc. are huge confidence-builders. But in the end we live in a fast-food, instant gratification kind of society. Average citizens are looking for options, and if the only option is to spend years learning how to defend themselves, they don't see the value. But I am not willing to just tell them to be compliant victims, either.
    Cody

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I agree, I would also point out half the country doesn't have more than $500 in the bank. So going to classes and matches - who has got that disposable income? Enthusiasts?

You come home from work and deal with the SO and kids? Now go to a class 4 times a week. I think not.
    Totally agree. Enthusiasts is exactly right, IMHO.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    No I'm not joking.
    The time you describe spending going to Krav Maga and dry firing (daily), plus live fire practice and matches, I think is way beyond average.
    I think the average person is willing to listen to someone they think is more knowledgeable than themselves, for maybe 5 minutes or so. That's what I think can be realistically expected. They might buy a self-defense item or two, of whatever kind generally appeals to them. They might take one class, but probably not. That's what I think average is. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.
    Agreed what I do is way above average.
    But I would like to repeat my question: "What level of training does an average person need to provide BASIC self-defense?"
    I didn't ask what they can afford or how much time they are willing to spend.
    What is the level of skill that provides BASIC self-defense?...Just Avoidance and Situational Awareness?...That's it?
    Cody

User Tag List