Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-Defense for average people

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There are gangbangers and nasty crooks in Wyoming, they are just more likely to be white and use meth. They may have a different skin color and drug of choice than your DC gang banger but they will hurt or kill you just as quick. Same with the Central American gang bangers in Manassas. Conversely there are plenty of crack heads in DC who just want to steal your stuff and get away.
    Agreed. But the difference is in the population. The likelihood of running into one is much lower in Wyoming.
    But I am still confused about the point you are trying to make.
    Are you saying that if you aren't going to become a BJJ/Krav, Knife-fighting, two-gun carrying badass Ninja, then don't bother even trying?
    Average people are not going to train to defeat a gangbanger unless they live in an area where it is likely. And, frankly, average people are going to struggle just to get to basic defense skills.
    What are you trying to say?
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

@cclaxton no offense, but you just said 'too much' to what I posted and then essentially listed what I posted. Get on the path is the last thing I can add. I'll bow out from here.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    @cclaxton no offense, but you just said 'too much' to what I posted and then essentially listed what I posted. Get on the path is the last thing I can add. I'll bow out from here.
    Did I? No offense, and I do appreciate your opinion on this. When I read your posting, it seemed like a lot more. But I will re-read. Maybe we are saying the same thing, just differently.
    Sometimes things don't always come across well in writing.
    Cody.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Did I? No offense, and I do appreciate your opinion on this. When I read your posting, it seemed like a lot more. But I will re-read. Maybe we are saying the same thing, just differently.
    Sometimes things don't always come across well in writing.
    Cody.
    None taken. I just wanted to give you a bird's eye view of what I think you should be exposed to. It's a life time study just like pistol craft, which I know you spend a considerable amount of time doing.

...But I think it exhibits the problem we have as a self-defense community of asking too much of the average person.

[useful stuff]

What did I miss?
    Cody
    You didn't miss much, IMHO. But the top part of your post is at odds with the rest, if I'm reading it right; if someone was actually on-demand proficient in all the categories you note, they'd be operator as F. That is not a basic list, as Baihu observes, it's a lifetime study. Your post looks to be a reasonably good checklist for a 35-year + dilletante like myself to work against.

Going tangantial for a sec, when it came time to look at "a class" for my 50-something, special ed teacher step mom back in the day, the solid option at the time (early to mid-90s) was Erik Remmen's long weekend, Spyderco-sanctioned clipit course. Grappling, legal considerations, tueller drills, parking lot roll play, and taint stabbing with a legal and easy-to-carry tool before it was cool.

First and last tac course she ever took.

My college-age wife took it with us too, and to this day she still carries a spyderco.

We may all be talking around each other here, but the reality is that "the average person" will have a hell of a time just reading a couple of books along the lines of "facing violence," "left of bang," "the law of self defense," "in the gravest extreme," or "the gift of fear" when it takes time from "harry potter" and everything else, let alone reading all of them on top of more cognoscenti lit like Givens or Cooper. The best many of us can do is pay for one vetted weekend course of some sort, and hope that the class acts as a vaseline-infused cotton ball and our concern acts as a spark. The rest is on them. Again, JMHO.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 05-18-2017 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    You didn't miss much, IMHO. But the top part of your post is at odds with the rest, if I'm reading it right; if someone was actually on-demand proficient in all the categories you note, they'd be operator as F. That is not a basic list, as Baihu observes, it's a lifetime study. Your post looks to be a reasonably good checklist for a 35-year + dilletante like myself to work against.

Going tangantial for a sec, when it came time to look at "a class" for my 50-something, special ed teacher step mom back in the day, the solid option at the time (early to mid-90s) was Erik Remmen's long weekend, Spyderco-sanctioned clipit course. Grappling, legal considerations, tueller drills, parking lot roll play, and taint stabbing with a legal and easy-to-carry tool before it was cool.

First and last tac course she ever took.

My college-age wife took it with us too, and to this day she still carries a spyderco.

We may all be talking around each other here, but the reality is that "the average person" will have a hell of a time just reading a couple of books along the lines of "facing violence," "left of bang," "the law of self defense," "in the gravest extreme," or "the gift of fear" when it takes time from "harry potter" and everything else, let alone reading all of them on top of more cognoscenti lit like Givens or Cooper. The best many of us can do is pay for one vetted weekend course of some sort, and hope that the class acts as a vaseline-infused cotton ball and our concern acts as a spark. The rest is on them. Again, JMHO.
    Thanks for covering this for me Sidheshooter. I needed to take a break and eat lunch

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    And yet few people in the game today have ever even heard of Erik Remmen or Northwest Safari........

Following on your tangent...

The first time I met Paul Gomez back in Jan 2006 he noticed the "customized" Spyderco Delica in my back pocket (customized with the addition of a metal clip added on the left or "non clip side" making it ambidextrous) . He asked where I got it ....I asked him "where do you think I got it?"....knowing that since he had spent training time in the pacific northwest he probably already knew the answer. "Erik Remmen?" He guessed..... "Yep......" I replied. At that point I had been carrying that knife for 10 years and no one had ever guessed what its story was....but Gomez knew. I miss him sometimes.....

Anyways.... That was back in the days before Spyderco made the reversible metal clips like they make now. Back then you had either a right OR a left handed plastic clip knife. Erik took the metal "replacement clip" that Spyderco used to fix knives with broken plastic clips and added it to the other side of Delicas so the knives were now ambi and could be carried on either the right or left side making it more user friendly as far as concealing it goes.
    Last edited by Randy Harris; 05-18-2017 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Harris View Post
    Anyways.... That was back in the days before Spyderco made the reversible metal clips like they make now. Back then you had either a right OR a left handed plastic clip knife. Erik took the metal "replacement clip" that Spyderco used to fix knives with broken plastic clips and added it to the other side of Delicas so the knives were now ambi and could be carried on either the right or left side making it more user friendly as far as concealing it goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    It's a life time study...
    The average person is not going to see this as a life study.
    But the average person is willing to do a series of Saturdays (I think between 4-10) over a year) and then a yearly reminder.
    Maybe that is the way to approach this: Look at how much time the average person is willing to commit and then prioritize there?
    Cody
    Last edited by cclaxton; 05-18-2017 at 03:28 PM.

the average person is willing to do a series of Saturdays (I think between 4-10) over a year) and then a yearly reminder
    Maybe it's just me, but that strikes me as a way-beyond-average level of commitment.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List