Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-Defense for average people

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

...I would have stopped at "med, legal, permit and avoidance." JMO.
    I really like this.

Here's my "2s" blueprint for not being a pushover:

2x per week: Hill Sprints and/or Run a hard 5K
    2x per week: Strength Training with compound lifts (Squat, Deadlift, Presses)
    2x per week: BJJ.. with or without a combination of Boxing, MMA, Wrestling, Judo or Muay Thai
    2x per month: Run timed training drills with your primary firearms

The smaller and/or older you are means more emphasis on firearms training. Listen, if you're 55 and you're doing lat pull downs at your local Planet Fatness it's doing diddly shit for your ability to defend yourself. You either focus on getting strong or you don't. If you're overweight then obviously focus on cardio until you can actually run if you needed to. Also, what's with people not being able to do a pull-up? So if you were hanging from a cliff, too bad, you just fall and die? Learn to do pull-ups.

Emphasize BJJ for women as it gives someone smaller the greatest chance of success. A 120 lbs. woman Boxing a 200 lbs. male into the ground is fantasy and will get them killed. A choke is a choke, if you know how to use it. Additionally, sweeps can be utilized if the woman finds herself trapped under a larger opponent.

2x martial arts or firearms training is obviously a minimum and factored in to your total, realistic volume. Otherwise, you would need to prioritize certain things if training for a particular weakness or event.
    Last edited by GAP; 05-17-2017 at 08:41 PM.

You're going to get so many more qualified opinions than mine that i hesitate to chime in but, hey, it's the internet.
    Bluntly: if someone has read that excellent Rory Miller book; carries a less-lethal alternative; carries period; can keep the Claude Werner standard of hits in a 12" circle on demand out to, say, 50 feet; and cultivates good avoidance and awareness skills, then they are good to go for most of life this side of a mumbai shopping mall. Get some legal (ayoob, branca) and medical going, and i want them on my team; i don't care how old and frail they are. All the stuff we tend to do around here (BJJ, striking arts, FMA, courses from pipe hitters, dry drills, and the list goes on) is overkill unless you live under cartel rule. I do all that stuff because i get my jollies from it, and it rounds me out as a person, since i spend my days around beauty and art and shit. But, mostly, i get jollies from being a training junkie timmy wannabe. Otherwise i would have stopped at "med, legal, permit and avoidance." JMO.
    I have found Krav Maga did more for mindset, managing distance, knowing when a gun is not the best tactic, etc. But the top of that list is the mindset of being willing to inflict serious if not lethal damage to defend myself or my love ones. How else can you teach that mental toughness except through learning to defend a physical attack? Just because someone learns how to shoot a handgun adequately and carries one does not give them the mental toughness to use it.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I like the addition of medical and defensive driving training.
    Cody
    For defensive driving, I took one of the accident avoidance classes at BSR last year. It is located pretty close to NoVA, you get hands on experience driving their cars hard so you don't have to worry about ruining your own brakes or tires, and it was a ton of fun overall.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    I have found Krav Maga did more for mindset, managing distance, knowing when a gun is not the best tactic, etc. But the top of that list is the mindset of being willing to inflict serious if not lethal damage to defend myself or my love ones. How else can you teach that mental toughness except through learning to defend a physical attack? Just because someone learns how to shoot a handgun adequately and carries one does not give them the mental toughness to use it.
    Cody

Conversely, a bunch of Krav (or, take your pick: I first walked into a Goju dojo in 1981, so I feel like I've earned the right to pick on them all) does not give someone the mental toughness to use LF at the flip of a switch. Only valuing yourself (or your mission) over a predator and having people to live for will do that. My wife's grandmother was one of the toughest people I ever met, mentally, and she never did any of this shit. Just working factories in WW II, farming, outliving 3 husbands and a smattering of boyfriends, raising 6 kids, etc, etc. Krav–or muy thai, BJJ, FMA, Boxing, Goju, etc. can be great tools for revealing and polishing character, but if someone is a total pussy going in, it'll be a long road of pussy Krav or pussy boxing. Some people are so intrinsically hard that the boxing, MT and krav is just frosting. JMO, OMMV, etc.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 05-17-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Conversely, a bunch of Krav (or, take your pick: I first walked into a Goju dojo in 1981, so I feel like I've earned the right to pick on them all) does not give someone the mental toughness to use LF at the flip of a switch. Only valuing yourself (or your mission) over a predator and having people to live for will do that. My wife's grandmother was one of the toughest people I ever met, mentally, and she never did any of this shit. Just working factories in WW II, farming, outliving 3 husbands and a smattering of boyfriends, raising 6 kids, etc, etc. Krav–or muy thai, BJJ, FMA, Boxing, Goju, etc. can be great tools for revealing and polishing character, but if someone is a total pussy going in, it'll be a long road of pussy Krav or pussy boxing. Some people are so intrinsically hard that the boxing, MT and krav is just frosting. JMO, OMMV, etc.
    So if you are saying mindset and mental toughness can't be taught, we will have to disagree. That is what the Marines are famous for. The Army has been doing this for over 100 years. I do agree there are some people who have it naturally and some people that will never learn it or freeze when the time comes. But I do believe people can be taught, and need to be taught the mental fortitude to fight. I think what is often missing is the confidence. Doing Krav or BJJ or something similar is what delivers that confidence and that attitude. Once you experience the power of a groin kick or knee or hammer-fist and the ability to get out of a choke, that changes most people.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Mental toughness, warrior mindset, whatever trendy name for not being a wiener has to be a given or the training doesn't matter.

Site Supporter
    Cody,

A lot of good info has been put out already.

Two questions:

1) given the preparation you've already given your daughter, why do you say she is good to go with a gun in the house but not to carry?

2) can you clarify what you meant by "the opponent will come with the location" ?

IME the only difference between a "good" location and a "bad" location is the frequency of issues. The range of potential severity is actually the same.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GAP View Post
    Mental toughness, warrior mindset, whatever trendy name for not being a wiener has to be a given or the training doesn't matter.
    Mental toughness can be developed in many areas, not just fighting related ones.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Mental toughness can be developed in many areas, not just fighting related ones.
    Ok?

User Tag List