Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-Defense for average people

Self-Defense for average people

Now, I know I am posting this on a pistol forum.
    But, as I have been now almost 2 years in Krav Maga, and continue to run twice monthly IDPA Matches, attended two Rangemaster conferences, and talked with countless LEO's, read Facing Violence and a couple of other self-defense books, I have developed what I consider a minimum self-defense strategy for my family members who don't carry. But I am not in the industry and I have not studied this anywhere near as long as many here.

What I tell my family is that they should first understand and practice avoidance, situational awareness, and to carry pepper spray and a bright small flashlight so that they are quickly accessible. I give them inert pepper spray trainers, a new flashlight once a year, and a folding knife every two years. I personally think Rory Miller's book Facing Violence is great for learning about how conflict occurs and practicing avoidance and how to react to an assault.

I always suggest Krav Maga but not many take up the challenge. But it seems to me that to be minimally competent in self-defense average people should know some basic defensive moves, such as getting out of a choke, head and throat attacks, elbow attacks, knee and groin kick attacks, and some basic grappling.

And, I suggest they should start a program learning how to shoot a pistol, get their CCW permit, and learn to carry. But in the meantime they can learn to shoot and keep a gun at home for home defense, and keep it safe from any kids or irresponsible members of the household. But they not all are ready to commit to training to carry a gun.

Now I recognize that the skill level needed for self-defense may vary by location quite a bit. Self-defense for Chicago and LA is way different than self-defense for Nebraska. And, learning defensive skills has to be age-appropriate as well.

My concern is that too many people think of the pistol as a magic wand of self-defense that provides a complete spectrum of protection for the average situations that people encounter. (Armed Robbery, Assault, Battery, Burglary, Sexual Assault, etc. )

So here is my question: What level of training does an average person need to provide BASIC self-defense? (I am not asking how people become Pistol Ninjas.)
    Thanks,
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Self defense is for wussies. I practice being offensive!

Wait that came out wrong...or did it....

Training? Just open carry. It's like the bat signal but on your hip.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Site Supporter
    I would start at Tom Givens. His courses seem to be more geared to the common person than many others.

Sherman House did a great article on this a couple years ago. I'll have to see if in a find it when I get to a real computer. I think you're on the right track.

General health. Diet and exercise.
    Awareness training. For personal defense, this is key. Something like Craig Douglas' MUC, Tom Givens or William Aprils class would be a great start.
    Medical training.
    Defensive driving
    Some sort of unarmed defense. I would nitpick that you could probably do better than KM, but assuming the instructor is any good, you could do a lot worse. That discussion has been had ad nauseam.
    Less lethal option. (Pepper spray, etc)
    Firearm training.

Order and prioritization will vary depending on the beginner's interests and weaknesses.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    I would start at Tom Givens. His courses seem to be more geared to the common person than many others.
    Oh, I agree. But, there are plenty others on this forum that have experience I would like to hear from.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Sherman House did a great article on this a couple years ago. I'll have to see if in a find it when I get to a real computer. I think you're on the right track.

General health. Diet and exercise.
    Awareness training. For personal defense, this is key. Something like Craig Douglas' MUC, Tom Givens or William Aprils class would be a great start.
    Medical training.
    Defensive driving
    Some sort of unarmed defense. I would nitpick that you could probably do better than KM, but assuming the instructor is any good, you could do a lot worse. That discussion has been had ad nauseam.
    Less lethal option. (Pepper spray, etc)
    Firearm training.

Order and prioritization will vary depending on the beginner's interests and weaknesses.
    I like the addition of medical and defensive driving training.
    Cody
    Last edited by cclaxton; 05-17-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Oh, I agree. But, there are plenty others on this forum that have experience I would like to hear from.
    Cody
    Define basic? And for what age group? for what opponent?

When I was more young I would have said proficient in firearms and able to break a brick on your head on a bet. (whoever wins you lose, don't ask how I know this).
    Now that I am cough cough cough I would say proficient in the situational awareness, pepper spray, and double column 9mm.
    When we had a stalker we were extremely proficient in situational awareness and instantly emptying a mag into a target within 10 feet ON SIGHT, reloading, and doing it again without a second thought-due to the nature of the particular stalker (expected to be high on vicodin - generally immune to pain and motivated to do lethal harm). I would not advise that for the average person as that would be prima facae evidence of violating self defense requirements.

Women are different. I would proffer they need to know how to manage grey area situations better then menfolk generally.

I don't have time for details right now, but I'd suggest:
    1. Make all the training relevant to a daily mindset. Having ninja-strike-you-from-the-rafters skill is cool on your Rex Kwon Do resume, but highly useless in your day to day interactions.
    2. Do not underestimate the need to teach young children important and tough lessons that you think are dangerous. They need eye gouges and biting more than any age/sized group. They just need to know what is/isn't appropriate during the escalation of force (ie know the difference b/w a schoolyard scuffle and possible abduction). It is NOT impossible, you just need to know your child. Perhaps one child needs that lesson while the other child needs to be 'reigned in'.
    3. Teamwork. Turn your family outings into 'I spy' defensive games. Boys especially love the spy craft, so deal them in a hand or 3 a week.
    4. I agree with @Zincwarrior re: women and the 'grey area'.

I'm sure there will be more coming before I return so good luck in filling in the gaps.
    Last edited by BaiHu; 05-17-2017 at 02:50 PM.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Zincwarrior View Post
    Define basic? And for what age group? for what opponent?
    \
    As I said in my original post, what is needed will vary by location, by age. I think the opponent will come with location.
    The question I am asking is what do experts here think is the minimum required or basic skillset that everyone should know. From there, risky locations would add more requirements. While it's always possible someone will encounter a violent gangbanger in Boise (to use the euphemism), it is much less likely than encountering a violent gangbanger in Baltimore or SE DC or the Chicago Projects. But I am asking what the minimum skillset should be...what we would call basic set of skills. I think I have a good start on that list, then add on defensive driving and CPR/FirstAid skills. I think basic understanding of a firearm (i.e.-safety rules, grip, hold, manual safeties, unloading, etc. )

My daughter lives in Richmond. She came home one night and a stranger was in her apt burglarizing it, ran past her. Scared the hell out of her. She wants to learn to shoot, and I am teaching her. But she is not ready to carry one around town. I trained her on pepper spray and flashlight defense, situational awareness, timing her travel, etc. I think that covers her for most situations around town. In her apt, she can use her gun, if necessary. Over time she might be ready for CCW, but she has a long way to go. And, I think most people are in a similar situation.

Cody

User Tag List