Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-Defense for average people

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I understand what you are saying, but even more people fail to successfully defend themselves and become victims of crime by doing the stupid people/stupid/places/stupid things, by not locking their door, by opening their door for someone whom they should not have, by not having their gun on them, by getting jumped before they can get to their gun, or just getting into an avoidable situation and getting their ass kicked, etc.
    Neither here nor there, but you just reminded me of an entertaining "online test" (yeah, I know; infotainment...) to take for rating risk in several categories. Many of you have seen this, but if not, give the murder and assault ones a whirl. I was barely in the negative on murder (mostly due to city size and number of times I appear in public or local media) but was solidly in the negative on assault... as I
    am guessing numerous P-F'ers would be, given the weight given to fitness, firearms and a dan ranking in any martial art.

Just for shits n giggles:

http://www.rateyourrisk.org

So here is where I am at this time: "What level of training does an average person need to provide BASIC self-defense? "
    Paul Sharpe made a great comment: "Solid bluebelt in jits. B class in USPSA. EMT-B rating in medical stuff. "
    That sounds right to me when you consider "need" for Basic Self Defense. Now even though he is from Chicago, which has a more challenging criminal culture, that tells me that situational awareness and pepper spray is not going to cut it when a criminal attacks and you need to defend yourself. I do think B-class USPSA shooter is perhaps a bit too high a bar to set, but the point is great pistol skills are necessary. That being said, I am still convinced that avoidance, situational awareness, and having some type of defense, such as pepper spray and a good flashlight will get me out of a lot of situations. And, I think that is what most people can achieve as a first step. Beyond that they need to be motivated to do more. Getting into BJJ or Krav or MMA may be the next logical step. Then, doing more pistol practice, shooting some IDPA and USPSA and building on the basics. I am still looking for good role-playing trainings that help learn situational awareness and avoidance that I can recommend.
    Thanks to everyone for contributing.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Cody, keep in mind that what Paul is saying is not "the bare minimum to not get killed in the streets", but is more a level to work to where all your skill sets you are solid enough to be a big problem for the overwhelming majority of bad guys under the overwhelming majority of situations.

If one guy is an IPSC grandmaster but has no hand to hand skills "because you don't need to know how to fight because you carry a gun" then that guy is less prepared than an IDPA Sharpshooter with a collegiate wrestling pedigree. Do we all NEED to be able to shoot advanced at Rogers to win the typical encounter? NOPE.... and cops that probably couldn't pass at "basic" at Rogers win gunfights every day. It is not all about shooting. In fact the typical civilian world marksmanship problems are usually not all that difficult. The bigger problem is simply realizing what is going on in real time and then not rationalizing it away or freezing and doing nothing.

So if you have good awareness, decent shooting skills, can keep from getting knocked down or knocked out, can hit with a little power, can get out from under someone who is trying to pin you or beat your face in , are willing to go at the drop of a hat you will probably be fine in the majority of likely situations.

Maybe I'm missing something and it's my own cognitive dissonance showing, but this thread sounds a lot like, "thanks for all of the advice and now I'm going to shape that advice into what I wanted to do in the first place."

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    So here is my question: What level of training does an average person need to provide BASIC self-defense? (I am not asking how people become Pistol Ninjas.)
    Thanks,
    Cody
    I think a lot of the answers here are addressing much-higher than basic level competency. 8 sessions a week of martial arts, PT and shooting? To achieve a basic level for the average Joe.....are you fucking kidding me?

I think recognizing the importance of awareness is basic. They don't need to be ECQC extraordinaire, they need to realize it isn't a good idea to walk with your head in your cell phone when alone, especially at night. They need to realize it's okay to make eye contact with people who are giving a little much attention, instead of pretending to ignore them and setting off that prey drive. Simple stuff.

They need to learn that telling people "no" is okay, especially if it's a stranger starting up some random conversation and closing distance.

They need to learn that aggression is okay. This can be learned. Most people have never even hit a punching bag or sparred. We don't need weekly MMA sessions for the average Joe to have some modicum of self defense ability, we need them to have the gumption and confidence to actually do something instead of just being a lamb for the slaughter like our school system has conditioned folks.

The average Joe does not need EMT training. They need a CPR/AED, first aid, and B-Con class which can all be taught in a day. Even for the above average prepared citizen, like most members here, I would never suggest an EMT class as a significant portion of the of the curriculum has zero applicability to someone who's not working on an ambulance. You don't need to learn how to use a suction unit, Reeves, stairchair, backboard, EMS charting, etc. At most I'd say take a certified first responder/EMR class, and some type of 1-3 day TCCC/TECC curriculum such as Trauma First Responder, and re-learn something annually.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-19-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something and it's my own cognitive dissonance showing, but this thread sounds a lot like, "thanks for all of the advice and now I'm going to shape that advice into what I wanted to do in the first place."

I think you're right. It seems like OP came into this with an answer in his mind already. Whatever, I hope it works out.

I guess I just don't understand the whole premise here. Is it how can someone learn to kick ass and take names with little to no effort put in? That's not how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no caption needed...

VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Not at all. As I said, I thought Paul Sharpe's comment was very valuable in the sense that he identified a level of skill required for the average citizen to defend himself/herself. But, as we have all discussed, the problem is many average citizens aren't going to make that kind of commitment. So, they need to start somewhere, and most here identified the foundations needed: Situational awareness, avoidance, pepper spray, reading one of the recommended self-defense books, etc.

In the end I need to synthesize this into my own world view and validate against my own experience. We all do.

I am trying to figure out how to motivate my family members to go beyond that first level, to learning some BJJ/Krav/Self-Defense moves, and take shooting a pistol more seriously. A scary event definitely helps, but not everybody has that experience.

And, I am still looking for someone who trains situational awareness and role-playing to get the experience and practice.
    Cody
    Last edited by cclaxton; 05-19-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    I think you're right. It seems like OP came into this with an answer in his mind already. Whatever, I hope it works out.

I guess I just don't understand the whole premise here. Is it how can someone learn to kick ass and take names with little to no effort put in? That's not how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How does "basic self defense for the average Joe" get mixed up with "kick ass and take names"?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

If you need to practice situational awareness commute on a bike into the city. I've been almost killed more times in the last 6 months than I have had potential self defense encounters my entire life.

Edit: keep in mind these almost dying situations happen on a stretch of maybe 2-3 miles of road where I am not on a trail...
    Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Grey; 05-19-2017 at 10:43 AM.

User Tag List