Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Self-Defense for average people

Are we so off in the weeds now that we've forgotten that "average people" are more interested in the social media apps on their phones than taking weekly BJJ classes or spending an hour a day dry firing?

ETA: But to actually address the topic at hand: Reading Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense and carrying a can of pepper spray might be a realist expectation.
    Last edited by ReverendMeat; 05-18-2017 at 04:21 PM.
    "Customer is very particular" -- SIG Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but that strikes me as a way-beyond-average level of commitment.
    This.

The average level of commitment of the average person is frankly not very committed at all....until they become a victim.

In certain circles we forget that our close peer groups that we talk shop with are NOT populated by the average person. The average person is the type who asks why we would spend a week and a $1000 and 2000 rds of ammo to shoot steel in the mountains of Georgia. The average person has no idea why we'd spend a weekend wrestling with and getting stabbed and stabbing other students in the face . The average person has no idea why we'd travel half way across the country for a 3 day conference that doesn't involve a golf outing or strippers. The average person MIGHT read a book or maybe two (if they are readers) and might watch a DVD or maybe 2 and might go to the range and plink occasionally. But as far as training for the average person...it tends to be minimal and sporadic.... if at all. To the average guy the handgun carry permit class is about all the training they will ever choose to take. But don't get between them and a golf course....you'll get trampled every weekend.

I run local training group activities here about 6 times a year that are super cheap (only about $60 for 6 hours of skill work) and I get the same 5 or 6 people every time. And those are all what we'd call "hard core" guys....none would be considered "average". In fact most drive from 50 or more miles away...the local "average guys" have yet to show up....

Site Supporter
    It's not black and white, have this much or fail. There is the concept of how much good each bit of learning does.

I'd say avoidance and awareness cover the large majority of the practical variance as compared to how to break a rear choke. It's also like: Have gun.

Since most DGUs are deterrent (some say 95%), that's more important than the 1911 loaded with 350 gr Tranuranic Element 118 Hollowpoints vs. the Glock 19 with 3500 FPS rocket assisted 35 gr tungsten rounds. But we like to discuss the later. How many times have I heard a good instructor tell someone to STFU about ammo when they can't hit the target anyway.

I feel guilty now that I won't shoot my 1911 this weekend as my wife wants to go to the outlet mall. I will compensate by dripping firepower and gadgets.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post

I think the average person is willing to listen to someone they think is more knowledgeable than themselves, for maybe 5 minutes or so. That's what I think can be realistically expected. They might buy a self-defense item or two, of whatever kind generally appeals to them. They might take one class, but probably not. That's what I think average is. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.
    You're more charitable than I. My response was going to be: the "average" person won't do anything. The "average extended family member or friend of a P-F'er" will probably take a day-long class or buy a self-defense item or two. The "average P-F'er" is so far outside the center of the bell curve that it's a different planet. Hell, even Sean M still hangs around here voluntarily. Whatever "average" looks like, I'm not sure that the totality of P-F is qualified to recognize it when they see it. Even cops respond to calls--which, property crime reports aside--tend to come more from the usual suspects than Joe and Jane Costco. Until some watershed event comes along to bump this underside of life up to the front burner, average means not in the game.

We are really debating best options to advise the folks on the P-F friends and family plan, which is already moderately self-selecting. JMO, OMMV, etc.

Site Supporter
    Mr. Harris has a good point. At the local matches - there is core of folks. Each match starts with a new shooters meeting. If we actually retained about 10% of them, we would have matches with 150 people in no time. But it's mostly the same 40 to 60 folks. It's like my health prevention class that my doc signed me up for (cardiac, sigh). Started with 12 folks - down to about 6. I knew one wasn't going to make it as when talking about diet - said person bellowed: I won't give up my MAYO!!

Now, talking about the average competency for the committed - didn't we do someone's idea of a bachelor's degree in self-defense once. Was it Tom Givens? I don't recall - duh?
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 05-18-2017 at 04:28 PM.

I don't think there's a way to answer this question. There's no way to know if you trained hard enough or often enough until after the fact, if you ever have to use it at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Agreed what I do is way above average.
    But I would like to repeat my question: "What level of training does an average person need to provide BASIC self-defense?"
    I didn't ask what they can afford or how much time they are willing to spend.
    What is the level of skill that provides BASIC self-defense?...Just Avoidance and Situational Awareness?...That's it?
    Cody
    "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Motivation is the biggest limiting factor.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

What is the level of skill that provides BASIC self-defense?...Just Avoidance and Situational Awareness?...That's it?
    Cody
    It's more than most people do, for one. As Sun Tzu points out, "to win without fighting, this is best of all".

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    Agreed what I do is way above average.
    But I would like to repeat my question: "What level of training does an average person need to provide BASIC self-defense?"
    I didn't ask what they can afford or how much time they are willing to spend.
    Cody
    Here you go.
    ETA: The biggest liability/issue in this whole thread is that you carry a gun. If you want to carry a gun and then ask for self-defense 'basic' help, then you're in the wrong church/pew. If you introduce a gun problem into a hand to hand problem, then you're going to need more than 'basic' to un-eff yourself.
    Last edited by BaiHu; 05-18-2017 at 04:52 PM.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    It's more than most people do, for one. As Sun Tzu points out, "to win without fighting, this is best of all".
    Agreed. but to think that winning is being a willing victim when your life or the life of a loved one is in jeopardy is suicide.

Here is a family that decided to be willing victims...this is what happened:https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.c17f130265e0
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

User Tag List