Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me pick a watch (again)

I am out of date, those solar-atomic watches are just neat.
    Does anybody make about a 36mm in plastic? I like a light watch for daily wear and only put on the steel for dinner.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    Does anybody make about a 36mm in plastic? I like a light watch for daily wear and only put on the steel for dinner.
    I don't know all that's currently out there in terms of different styles/models. I just looked up the closest replacement for my Casio G-Shock for when it finally gives up the ghost. There's no sign of that happening soon and I've had it 10 years.
    It's nice not having to go through the 'mental trauma' of changing batteries or setting my watch It automatically sets itself every day and is accurate to within 1 second (I've compared it to a couple of our atomic wall clocks). It automatically adjusts for daylight savings time (both the digital readout and the mechanical hands). The solar cell & battery are very efficient. Even when I've taken it off and it was in a dark closet it still operated for many weeks afterwards. (After fully charging, its rated for 6 months run time without any further light.)

I would imagine if you check out the Casio website you might find something you like.
    Last edited by SamAdams; 05-18-2017 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Battery runtime added

I looked at others on Amazon, this one is the smallest and lightest of the type I could find.
    I weighed some watches and 1.28 oz is not bad.

I guess the greatest attraction to me is the digital date so I wouldn't have to fiddle with the analog date when 30 days hath September, April, June, and November (and February.)

Lots of grey market Seikos (and every other brand of watch) on Amazon. The factory warranty services on those watches can be non existent, only in the market it was originally intended for, or available in the US. Either way it's not too hard to find someone locally that can work on them, if you do have to pay for a repair on a grey market watch, you'll probably break even with the cost of a watch from a retailer. That's a really big "if".

I'd go with a polished stainless case. Seiko Ion bond can range from really good to flimsy, but I think it looks terrible when it scratches. The brushed finishes show scratches too.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    So, if Navy dudes are into collecting watches... What do the army guys collect?
    Red tape.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

36mm is pretty small, but Casio does have "plastic" G-shocks, that are solar/atomic, and reasonably priced, if you can stand something a little bigger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...f_rd_i=desktop

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-AWGM100...31DGCPRKKH817B

Thanks, but I prefer the one back at #19 even though it is a bit larger in diameter than my Marathon or my Omega.

Quote Originally Posted by warpedcamshaft View Post
    So, if Navy dudes are into collecting watches... What do the army guys collect?
    Dependents.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    This one is solar but not atomic. It's my go-to watch when I'm wanting to wear something small and lightweight.

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM818...en+field+watch

Some of the G-shocks are also pretty thick.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List