Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thumbing the Hammer

Ummmmm.... Wow.

I moved to a hammer gun just for that reason. I'm pretty sure a lot of other folks here have too. I didn't realize it could be a controversial subject; but I probably walk away with my head shaking slowly before getting to this level of idiotic gun conversation these days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When assessing a risk mitigation gizmo or procedure, it's worth asking what the cost of the mitigation is in terms of time, effort, complexity, and dollars. This comes from a background in rescue, including high angle rescue where we have more than our share of controversy regarding what is and isn't safe. Sometimes the complexity of the mitigation brings on a whole new route to failure and you only trade one risk for another. Some mitigations make no real difference or are only done due to dogma. I look at thumbing the hammer as having virtually no cost in terms of time, effort, complexity, or dollars yet it can reliably prevent an error or accident which has potentially catastrophic consequences and which is known to occur. Why wouldn't you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    So I was having a conversation tonight in which I realized that thumbing the hammer is apparently not viewed as the norm...
    So if it is a Border Control and a hammer gun, it has got to be an H&K P2000. I am not going to idolize that gun but if someone referred to it as a piece of shit, I'd stop listening to anything he says about guns and gun handling.
    Last edited by YVK; 05-16-2017 at 12:51 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

I was trained to thumb the hammer of my Model 66 by the Phoenix FIs who taught recruits how to shoot. Why they'd teach us something so apparently worthless. Oh yeah they'd seen thumb breaks insert themselves into trigger guard guards while the gun was being reholstered and Officers shooting themselves in the leg with a DA revolver. Who'da thunk that?

It carried over to my SIGs and even my gadgetless Glocks. What a moron I am apparently that I wasted all my time continuing a safety habit on a striker fired pistol with no hammer. But now I have Gadgets because EMOTIONAL RESPONSE and apparently a lack of confidence in my training and gun handling ability. At least I do if I read the comments on Pincus's thread and I read them all.

What a bunch of derp but I'm apparently a TLG cultist. ( and proud of it!)
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Guy View Post
    I look at thumbing the hammer as having virtually no cost in terms of time, effort, complexity, or dollars yet it can reliably prevent an error or accident which has potentially catastrophic consequences and which is known to occur. Why wouldn't you do it?
    Agree. Heck, after reading about it, I started thumbing the back plate of my Glock before I got my Gadget just because it seemed like a useful habit to build for any gun I might carry.
    Last edited by peterb; 05-16-2017 at 06:09 AM.

Internet elitists they are. It's why I like this forum. The people that post here tend to have common sense and a realistic perspective.

Last month I picked up a shield for cheap, my first SFA. TDAs my whole life until now. I thumb the back of my Shield just like my Berettas because it's so ingrained, albeit useless. Time wasted exercising this "pointless" habit: Zero... I'm indeed hoping for a Gadget for the Shield "soon".
    Last edited by GhastlyTT; 05-16-2017 at 06:09 AM.

If you thumb the hammer, you should procreate and pass it on.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

If it's something they never learned they haven't been doing it. They haven't ND'd in the time they haven't been thumbing the hammer so they're "safe." If this technique they didn't know about makes them "safer" that means they weren't as "safe" as they thought before. This threatens their egos so the technique is stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    If the people who have a problem with putting the thumb over the hammer during reholstering are paid to carry a gun, that is scary.

I don't worry about it with my Glocks, but if the gun has a hammer, my thumb is on it during reholstering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

There should still be no rush to re holster that loaded gun. You have every chance and time to do what is necessary to re holster safely. As a result having an ND is solely because of your own negligent actions. There is absolutely no reason or excuse for a cover garment or drawstring, or booger hook causing your ND at a comp. Its on you, not your cloths, your equipment, or what have you. As a for carrying again you shouldn't reholster until the threat is good and dead, and then you probably wont reholster but rather just drop you gun on the ground.
    What the fuck is going on in Artesia? This isn't just one agent I'm referencing in this thread.......
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List