Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Thumbing the Hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    We don't need to turn this into an attack thread on an individual.
    Sorry. Point taken.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Thank you.

I swear I read, maybe back in the 90's a Mas Ayoob article where he recommended thumbing the back of the slide or the hammer on semi autos to keep tight fitting holsters from pushing them out of battery. Sadly I can't recall if the side benefit, or the main benefit, of it being an additional safety layer was mentioned or not. He does have an article on the gadget in this months Handgunner mag at any rate.

As to the officers comments, maybe I do fear my gun little bit. I definitely fear the fact that if I do something stupid or have a nonperfect moment it can put a bullet in me. So I thumb the hammer in addition to my normal holstering procedures. Should I decide to carry a Glock, it'll get a Gadget. The fact that a G43 version should come eventually is playing a heavy factor as I mull over the possibility of a G43 vs a Shield in the future.

I honestly do not know why these individuals are responding to this topic in the way they are, so I'll just say that if they're comfortable with their safety procedures then good on them, as for me, I'll just keep sticking my thumb on that hammer.
    Last edited by Jared; 05-18-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I swear I read, maybe back in the 90's a Mas Ayoob article where he recommended thumbing the back of the slide or the hammer on semi autos to keep tight fitting holsters from pushing them out of battery. Sadly I can't recall if the side benefit, or the main benefit, of it being an additional safety layer was mentioned or not. He does have an article on the gadget in this months Handgunner mag at any rate.

As to the officers comments, maybe I do fear my gun little bit. I definitely fear the fact that if I do something stupid or have a nonperfect moment it can put a bullet in me. So I thumb the hammer in addition to my normal holstering procedures. Should I decide to carry a Glock, it'll get a Gadget. The fact that a G43 version should come eventually is playing a heavy factor as I mull over the possibility of a G43 vs a Shield in the future.

I honestly do not know why these individuals are responding to this topic in the way they are, so I'll just say that if they're comfortable with their safety procedures then good on them, as for me, I'll just keep sticking my thumb on that hammer.
    I'm pretty sure Mas wrote something along that line. The reasoning was also that one would feel the hammer start to move if something was in the trigger guard. I started doing that with service revolvers and my 5906 after reading that and missed that option after being issued an M&P in the mid 2000s

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

I taught this technique back in 1995 when we carried the sig p220. It was possible (I could do it as a demonstration) to cock the p220 hammer by not lining up the pistol correctly in the holster and forcing the pistol into the holster.

Yeah pistols should not be shoved into holsters but cops find themselves with guns out of the holster and in awkward positions were reholstering isn't easy. Sitting in a patrol car is one example.

When we went to glocks I still taught that technique so the officers were sure the pistol was correctly in the holster so the retention devices of the holster would work properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Tag List