Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thumbing the Hammer

Thumbing the Hammer

So I was having a conversation tonight in which I realized that thumbing the hammer is apparently not viewed as the norm.

Thumbing the fucking hammer as an additional safety good grief. Just stick to the Nerf Enforcer if you really think that is practical.
    So my piece of shit duty gun has a hammer. I have holstered and unholstered it in duty holsters and IWB off duty holster many thousands of times. I've never once had the trigger move at all in all those times and so I've never understood the need to thumb the Hammer
    Thumbing the hammer shows a lack of confidence in your firearm and also shows lack of knowledge of how the firearm works. If you need "that extra layer," then what you really need is a new gun or more knowledge. If you thumb the hammer, you're doing it to ensure the hammer doesn't move while you're doing whatever you're doing. There's only three ways the hammer is going to move though. Either 1) squeezing the trigger, 2) manually finger fucking the hammer or 3) racking the slide. If anything else causes it to move, then the firearm is faulty. So if you aren't racking the slide, squeezing the trigger, or manually cocking the hammer, why would you put your finger over the hammer while holstering? There's 2 reasons someone would do that 1) fear of the firearm which drives the person to do stupid things to "absolutely ensure safety" 2) lack of knowledge of how the firearm actually works (not loading, unloading, firing, etc, but knowing the 8 cycles of function). Someone who is afraid, when confronted will become defensive and claim "you can never be too safe with a firearm."
    In all four military and LE basic/academy level firearms courses I've been through (2 USMC, 1 FLETC, 1 my agency), thumbing the hammer has been emphasized, in addition to every follow-on training or private-sector class I've taken.

These negative comments (apparently lacking any critical thinking ability whatsoever) towards the practice of thumbing the hammer all came from current Border Patrol agents. There's some good articles on Pistol-Training.com addressing the gun communities aversion to embracing safe practices (or tools to improve safety) as it's some sort of unconscious smite on ones manliness to think critically about safety (Another good article by Tim Chandler).

So, what gives? Is thumbing the hammer not as widespread a practice as I thought it was? Is it actually viewed as unpopular, or not taught anymore?

To be completely transparent, this conversation was spurred by the post made by Rob Pincus today trashing the Gadget.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-15-2017 at 09:29 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Instead of saying "wow there are really a lot of retarded fucking morons out there" I try to instead tell myself that there are a lot of people who do not understand risk, how to assess it, and how to mitigate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    I got nothing to add, but "wow." No wonder I wake up every day to a new batch of comments about how stupid I am.
    It must be enraging.......but at the same time, how stupid you are should be viewed as a metric for how smart you actually are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Instead of saying "wow there are really a lot of retarded fucking morons out there" I try to instead tell myself that there are a lot of people who do not understand risk, how to assess it, and how to mitigate it.
    Well, that's why I actually tried explaining it.......only to get the trigger finger photo of Hoot from Blackhawk Down in response......
    Last edited by TGS; 05-15-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Yeah... that fucking BHD quote.

Why did they have to include that in an otherwise good film?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    I got nothing to add, but "wow." No wonder I wake up every day to a new batch of comments about how stupid I am.
    You should never have given Pincus your email address. In all seriousness, this is typical gun bravado bullshit. "This is mah safety, sir." It's worse with cops, too. They aren't gun people, mostly, but many believe they are because BADGE. Same type of stupid shit I get when I express my wish that I could carry a 9mm instead of my department .40. "A 9mm????? Why would you even think that? We should be carryin' .45's...1911's even!!!" All from guys who buy every new blaster that hits the market, but only shoot twice a year for quals.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    So I was having a conversation tonight in which I realized that thumbing the hammer is apparently not viewed as the norm.

In all four military and LE basic/academy level firearms courses I've been through (2 USMC, 1 FLETC, 1 my agency), thumbing the hammer has been emphasized, in addition to every follow-on training or private-sector class I've taken.

These negative comments (apparently lacking any critical thinking ability whatsoever) towards the practice of thumbing the hammer all came from current Border Patrol agents. There's some good articles on Pistol-Training.com addressing the gun communities aversion to embracing safe practices (or tools to improve safety) as it's some sort of unconscious smite on ones manliness to think critically about safety (Another good article by Tim Chandler).

So, what gives? Is thumbing the hammer not as widespread a practice as I thought it was? Is it actually viewed as unpopular, or not taught anymore?

To be completely transparent, this conversation was spurred by the post made by Rob Pincus today trashing the Gadget.
    Not to derail but the quality of BP Agents, has suffered in recent years in direct proportion to the agency's rapid expansion. The days when it was presumed a BPA could shoot, whatever their other failings have been replaced by "no Agent left behind."

Now that my old man rant is over, I can assure you it is possible to ND even a long pull DAO like a Beretta 96D Brigadier into your leg if you don't thumb check as you re-holster.

Site Supporter
    Tom,

I'm not sure why, but I would venture a guess these commenters are the same sort who believe "Alcohol, because no great story ever started with a glass of milk"

Name:  IMG_1261.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  55.4 KB
    Last edited by HCM; 05-15-2017 at 10:05 PM.

The conversation has finally come to a screeching halt.

Still curious to hear from someone on this board about why they don't think thumbing the hammer is a good idea, what the aversion is, or why it shouldn't be taught.

I'm sure there's someone here, even if it isn't the usual contrarian-for-no-other-reason-than-being-contrarian assholes.

Some people will never know what they don't know. Blissfully ignorant.....they just don't know it and logic will rarely change that.

And no...I can't think of a single reason not to control the hammer.

people do stupid things to "absolutely ensure safety".
    "lack of knowledge of how the firearm actually works (not loading, unloading, firing, etc, but knowing the 8 cycles of function). Someone who is afraid, when confronted will become defensive and claim "you can never be too safe with a firearm."

LOL

Name:  ef41b307368efee2f6ec1a59e9a55020b5630f73156df5d3f0a47517080dcbd2.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  55.7 KB

User Tag List