Thread: A Better Shot TImer

A Better Shot TImer

I know this has been talked about a few times on PF, the general sad state of the shot timer market. I've got my own issues with what's out there myself, and I may get the chance to try something fun. Short version of the story, as part of my degree I'm working on, I'll have to do a build project, maybe 2. If I can get it past university brass, I would like to take a stab at making a better shot timer.

Here's what I personally want:
    Adjustable PAR times and delay starts
    AA or AAA batteries. I'd do 9V if I had to, but I much prefer the other two options
    Box type (roughly Pocket Pro II sized)
    Beep volume adjustable all the way down to vibrate (if you've ever tried to dry fire with a sleeping baby in the house, this is a no brainer)
    More durable than whats out there now. Ideally, I'd like to be able to punt the thing 6 or 7 times as hard as I can and it still work
    Better waterproofing than what's out there now, that way if I find myself in the rain I don't have to worry.
    I'd like the user interface to be fairly intuitive and easy to use

I've sent out a few PM's for suggestions, and one of the best suggestions I've got so far is to make sure the PAR times are adjustable in hundredths of a second and not just tenths.

All of this is not terribly complex, and I worry it may not be enough to justify for the project, so I'm asking all of you for your input on additional widgets and the like. If it makes any difference, I'm absolutely not looking to start up "Jared's Hillbilly Shot Timer Shop" and try to make a living selling this, or even a side income. I may ask a few members to try them out and offer feedback (already got one on the line). Also, this will be at least 18 months and maybe over 2 years in the future before I have a working model. That said, I'm planning ahead for this.

One additional idea that I had to make it more indoor range friendly would be a companion wrist mounted accelerometer that would talk to the main box wireless. This does ope up a new can of worms, as that would have to have it's own battery, and I doubt I could make readily available AA or AAA batteries work on the wrist without it turning into a monstrosity.

So, all this said, hit me with your ideas. I can't promise they'll make it into the final design, but I will jot them down and see if I can incorporate them. As long as it doesn't compromise the list I wrote above of my own personal requirements, I'll look at it.
    Last edited by Jared; 05-15-2017 at 07:26 PM.

The wrist mounted sensors need to be inexperience enough you can have one on each wrist, so there;s no fiddling to go WHO.

And maybe it's the post-work Valor Oatmeal Stout talking, or maybe it's the non-gamer/recovering gun store commando, but if you're going to do that, what's the advantage over a cell phone app?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I use a shot timer virtually daily and most of what you wrote would be a welcome addition.

Adjustable volume would be great, but I would like to see the volume go much louder than what is currently on the market. If I am on the range by myself with folks shooting in the bays next to me, and using plugs and muffs, I have a hard time hearing the beep.

AA battery would be ideal.

Increased sensitivity mode (dry fire mode) so it could pick up the hammer/striker fall in dry fire would be a fantastic option. Sometimes the crappy cell phone apps are that sensitive, when they work.

Display should show total times and splits.

Data tracking and memory, with micro USB to connect and load data to phone/tablet/computer....maybe bluetooth and an app if you want to get really fancy. Maybe a one touch, save run feature, so can save data on a run that you would like to review later.

If you are going with a box format it would be nice to have a drop and offset belt/pocket clip. I find mine gets in the way of my draw if I clip it anywhere in the front of my belt or pants pockets.

Waterproof is a must.

Make sure the screen is readable with polarized glasses. This is a constant issue for folks using tablets and phones using the practiscore app.

Best of luck with your project.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    The wrist mounted sensors need to be inexperience enough you can have one on each wrist, so there;s no fiddling to go WHO.

And maybe it's the post-work Valor Oatmeal Stout talking, or maybe it's the non-gamer/recovering gun store commando, but if you're going to do that, what's the advantage over a cell phone app?
    Cell phone app:

I personally think that once the cell phone apps get really straightened out, they'll probably be the future. Right now, I see loads of comments about them not working well, and people end up buying a "normal" shot timer anyway.

For my personal use, I don't think that just making an app will meet the requirements of the project.

The wrist units: if they're cheap enough, making a pair should be doable

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    I use a shot timer virtually daily and most of what you wrote would be a welcome addition.

Adjustable volume would be great, but I would like to see the volume go much louder than what is currently on the market. If I am on the range by myself with folks shooting in the bays next to me, and using plugs and muffs, I have a hard time hearing the beep.

AA battery would be ideal.

Increased sensitivity mode (dry fire mode) so it could pick up the hammer/striker fall in dry fire would be a fantastic option. Sometimes the crappy cell phone apps are that sensitive, when they work.

Display should show total times and splits.

Data tracking and memory, with micro USB to connect and load data to phone/tablet/computer....maybe bluetooth and an app if you want to get really fancy. Maybe a one touch, save run feature, so can save data on a run that you would like to review later.

If you are going with a box format it would be nice to have a drop and offset belt/pocket clip. I find mine gets in the way of my draw if I clip it anywhere in the front of my belt or pants pockets.

Waterproof is a must.

Make sure the screen is readable with polarized glasses. This is a constant issue for folks using tablets and phones using the practiscore app.

Best of luck with your project.
    All noted, thanks!

Site Supporter
    For the wrist-mounted bit, you might consider an app that communicates with a fitness devise that already has an accelerometer built in rather than a new hardware solution. I know Garmin and Suunto both offer some kind of shot detection app. No idea how, or how well, it works though.

I want a USB rechargeable smaller sized Pocket Pro II that can actually withstand more than 60 degrees with zero humidity without completely frying. I think in the manual they recommend you not use it in 25 or lower or 80 and higher degree temps or something completely stupid like that. It's something worth maybe 30 bucks (if working) that costs 120. Same story with every shot timer, they're all flimsy pieces of overpriced crap.

I had a couple Shotmaxx timers and before they all inevitably died due to the garbage speakers they used. I used them for timing, par times, and adjustable volume (on the PPII at least) and nothing else. The bluetooth customization accelerometer spy mode whoosits features were completely pointless and never got used. I also don't like things on my wrist while shooting so it was always looped on my belt anyway.

The apps are even worse. Phone parts aren't designed for what a shot timer does at all.
    Last edited by Peally; 05-16-2017 at 02:32 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Handheld device needs to combine (replaceable) battery power, ruggedness (wet, cold, hot, dusty, etc.), simple buttons, minimal daylight /nighttime display, quality mike & speakers with volume that goes way up and way down. Good belt attachment, delay, etc. Keep cost down.

Bluetooth integrate to phone/tablet and do the smart stuff that can be extended ad infinitum in software. Further integrate to cloud storage and a web UI. Trying to put that stuff on the device is where current manufacturers are going wrong IMHO.

If there is a watch option with an accelerometer, make that a separate device and don't try to make it do everything.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Giant win of a design is functionality similar (dump the stupid crap like rpm and date/time) to a pocket pro 2, but durable and water resistant, and the kicker is doing it on price point while maintaining profit margin. With a fairly small market, the margin needs to be pretty high.

Quote Originally Posted by busdriver View Post
    Giant win of a design is functionality similar (dump the stupid crap like rpm and date/time) to a pocket pro 2, but durable and water resistant, and the kicker is doing it on price point while maintaining profit margin. With a fairly small market, the margin needs to be pretty high.
    That's actually my ideal timer, personally.

User Tag List