Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 articles ?

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    If it's an option, take him to a local indoor range with a variety of rental guns. Let him try a magazine through several.

I'm a 1911 guy, I learned to shoot pistols on 1911s, I love the 1911, but I wouldn't recommend a 1911 to a non-enthusiast. Glock 19, VP9, M&P, P320, sure, but not a 1911.

Note that being a hunter does not mean he's a firearms enthusiast.
    Excellent points. I mentioned that he's a hunter (and has shot various handguns owned by family members) only to point out that he's familiar with firearms in a general sense.

Like with so many things, you can tell someone your own experiences- but they often need to learn for themselves. Those who haven't gone down that road often seem to think all 1911s pretty much look alike on the outside, so they shop price. When compared to a roughly $500 G-19, spending $750-800 on a Kimber seems like an 'upgrade'. And afterall, the Kimber 'looks purdy' and has "Custom" written on the side of it. - - When someone inexperienced on the subject hears they should really go with a full-sized steel gun, and they'll likely need to invest about a couple grand for something reliable enough to carry - - well, they tend to tune you out.

On the plus side, I can't think of anyone more qualified to be a 1911 enthusiast if the young man should choose to do so. In addition to the soon to be earned engineering degree, he likes to tinker with mechanical things. He and his brother are making good money in their own business together. So, he can spend the necessary bucks if he wants to go that route. And maybe he'll even let me shoot his new high end tricked out 1911s once in awhile - after eventually dumping the Kimber !

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    One thing I have tried to force myself to realize is that people that ask me about guns are not me, are not gonna be like me, and probably don't WANT to be like me. This is a fairly recent realization!

The young man in question is probably NOT in the lawnmower phase, he is in the dawn of his life and thirsty for knowledge, and most likely striving to set himself apart from the crowd. If he is a pending ME he understands mechanisms, perhaps appreciates things that are analogous to classic cars, and doesn't want to show up at the range with the exact same Glock 19 that all his buddies bought. He also might be wanting to reward himself for his graduation with something that is not so pragmatic.

Some of the best linked content was right on the money, for agencies like LAPD and FBI. The young man in question is not likely to be joining either of those agencies and might enjoy the care and feeding of something that takes a little effort and attention.

If he comes from a family that shoots and hunts, there may be a reloader in the woodpile, narrowing the ammo cost delta to an insignificant level and introducing another mechanical tinkering aspect to the endeavor a young mechanical engineer would probably enjoy. If not, then a 9mm 1911 is not as elusive as it once was.

What might BE a bit more pragmatic choice could be one of the Ruger SR1911s, they seem to be coming out of the box not perfect but pretty close.

My lightweight Ruger 9mm SR1911 shipped yesterday. Jeez, there I go expecting people to be like me!
    Was exactly what I was thinking, just couldn't find the time or verbiage to put it together. Brilliant explanation.

@mmc45414 - thank you for the excellent points you made. Much appreciated.

IMO a 1911 isn't the best choice for most new concealed carry holders, but it can be done with the proper investment of time, money, and self education. I don't think a new Kimber is the way to go.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SamAdams View Post
    IMO a 1911 isn't the best choice for most new concealed carry holders, but it can be done with the proper investment of time, money, and self education. I don't think a new Kimber is the way to go.
    Agree 100%.

Modern service weapons was a big time force in my avoid "carry" 1911. Also some of Vickers thoughts to.

If dudes that can build legit fighting pistols are carrying something else...does it need explained???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trukinjp13 View Post
    Modern service weapons was a big time force in my avoid "carry" 1911. Also some of Vickers thoughts to.

If dudes that can build legit fighting pistols are carrying something else...does it need explained???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well, IMO the fact that someone like Hilton Yam or Larry Vickers mostly carries a Glock or other SFA pistol is not the last word on the subject. After all, each of those guys have taken the trouble to explain their thoughts on 1911s. I would still label Mr. Vickers as a 1911 enthusiast since he still runs classes on how to build them and still works with Wilson Combat.

It's a personal choice. The 1911 isn't a good option for military units or large departments because of the time and cost required to keep them running. But for an individual it is a valid option, especially if the person is willing to put in the time to learn about the gun -- it's good points and its limitations. Availability of good 1911 offerings chambered for 9mm makes it more so. It's really sort of similar to the TDA question.

The reason Glocks are so popular is that they are just a really good answer to a lot of questions. But not the best answer to every question for every user.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Well, IMO the fact that someone like Hilton Yam or Larry Vickers mostly carries a Glock or other SFA pistol is not the last word on the subject. After all, each of those guys have taken the trouble to explain their thoughts on 1911s. I would still label Mr. Vickers as a 1911 enthusiast since he still runs classes on how to build them and still works with Wilson Combat.

It's a personal choice. The 1911 isn't a good option for military units or large departments because of the time and cost required to keep them running. But for an individual it is a valid option, especially if the person is willing to put in the time to learn about the gun -- it's good points and its limitations. Availability of good 1911 offerings chambered for 9mm makes it more so. It's really sort of similar to the TDA question.

The reason Glocks are so popular is that they are just a really good answer to a lot of questions. But not the best answer to every question for every user.
    What a great post, really a good explanation of not only glock but choosing something besides it at this point.

An M.E. ought to be able to get a RIA and tinker it into a good shooter. Carry a Glock or other PSFP (Plastic Striker Fired Pistol.)
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Ahh yes, the eternal this gun is better than that gun because so and so uses it validation statement. How about...

1 - Have gun
    2 - Learn gun
    3 - Carry gun

The rest is discretionary when accompanied by a little bit of knowledge, common sense and effort.

If I'm not mistaken, the topic is about educating someone on how to choose a quality pistol, in this case a 1911. The crux in every 1911 discussion, including this one, is going to be "how much are looking to spend?" This question is about time and effort as much as it is about money. There have been some good links provided, as well as quality suggestions made already. I agree on the Colt 5" Govt 45 suggestion if the new grad is hell bent on a 1911 with Kimber money to spend. That said, if one wants to spend Glock money, have Glock level amount of time to maintain it, and/or need Glock level simplicity to do so, then Glock is the obvious answer.
    Last edited by StraitR; 05-16-2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: generalization added

I strongly agree with Robinson's post above-but we also might be putting the cart ahead of the horse. I'd strongly recommend that the individual concerned try out several platforms before making his/her decision, if only to simply ascertain which one(s) work best (or not at all, or with significant caveats/qualifications) with them.

I get the 1911 thing-both the intrinsic advantages of the pistols, and the historical draw. We have multiple 1911s, ranging from an excellent rack-grade Ordinance depot rebuild 1945 1911A1 to a custom-spec'ced Nighthawk Talon II. While I shoot them decently, and would definitely feel comfortable in utilizing them in a defensive situation, the fact of the matter for me is that I shoot other platforms (Glock, HK, Ruger, to name a few) significantly better, and are easier to obtain the superior results with.

When you factor in the likely necessity of some apres-purchase gunsmithing being necessary/desirable, coupled with the more demanding lubrication and maintenance regimens, for me, and probably many others, there are simply "better" choices either on hand or easily available.

But I still commit to shooting, carrying, and training with my 1911s two to three months a year. They're a viable choice from a defensive standpoint, a neat platform, a challenge, and...just fun. But this thread alone might benefit the intended recipient to go into his/her choice objectively, with eyes wide open.

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 05-16-2017 at 12:31 PM.

User Tag List