Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 1911 articles ?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    yeah but it could ruin him for life.
    An all-steel 9mm 1911 is like shooting with cheat mode enabled.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments and the links you provided. It's much appreciated.
    I'll pass this information on to the young man.

Other members of his family went with the Glock 19 and/or 26. I don't know for certain, but the young fellow may be influenced by a guy who let him shoot his Kimber at the range. That particular Kimber guy doesn't conceal carry. Strictly occasional range sessions.

I don't know what he'll decide, but he'll have plenty of good information on which to base a decision.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    At what price and would you recommend it to a new ccw holder?
    I'd give a Dan Wesson commander or officer 9mm a try but it would require shaking it out thoroughly first... I would at minimum be confident they would fix it if not working

more than once i've been in the gun shop and some newbie has wandered in and started looking for a first pistol. often ladies. and they are drawn to the little bitty guns, as they are small, cute, and easy to hide in a purse. all true, but all beside the point. for a new shooter, it's easier and better to learn how to shoot on a full size pistol, and then after you've have several thousand rounds down range, it might behoove you to look at a smaller gun. a smaller gun will have more felt recoil, will be less pleasant to shoot, and will be harder to shoot accurately.

yesterday at the local IDPA match a long time, Expert level shooter was shooting a MP Shield (little itty bitty gun) to get classified in BUG. after 72 rounds he expressed that those were not pleasant rounds to shoot. he's likely shot 10s of thousands of rounds over time. imagine a novice shooting such a pistol and being turned off from shooting right there.

start on a full size. please.

Quote Originally Posted by DAB View Post
    more than once i've been in the gun shop and some newbie has wandered in and started looking for a first pistol. often ladies. and they are drawn to the little bitty guns, as they are small, cute, and easy to hide in a purse. all true, but all beside the point. for a new shooter, it's easier and better to learn how to shoot on a full size pistol, and then after you've have several thousand rounds down range, it might behoove you to look at a smaller gun. a smaller gun will have more felt recoil, will be less pleasant to shoot, and will be harder to shoot accurately.

yesterday at the local IDPA match a long time, Expert level shooter was shooting a MP Shield (little itty bitty gun) to get classified in BUG. after 72 rounds he expressed that those were not pleasant rounds to shoot. he's likely shot 10s of thousands of rounds over time. imagine a novice shooting such a pistol and being turned off from shooting right there.

start on a full size. please.
    As I mentioned earlier, I carried 1911s for years and like them. I could definitely imagine a new pistol shooter going to the range and being impressed with what he could do on paper with a 1911 versus other handguns. They're just plain fun to shoot.
    But a target session at the range isn't the same as putting many rounds through a gun under less than ideal conditions.

I came across an article recently where the author kinda paraphrased Larry Vickers, but with his own spin on it -

" If you want a pistol like a classic car, get a 1911. If you want a pistol like a lawnmower that's somtimes left out in your yard, get a Glock."

I'm in the lawnmower phase. I'd rather shoot 'em than tinker with 'em.

i shot a Glock long ago, didn't care for it. i've shot other striker fired pistols more recently, some i like better than others. same for DA/SA.

you have to find one that is comfy to hold and that has a decent trigger (under 8lb is a good start). grip and trigger are your two main points of interaction with a pistol.

it's more important that he learn to shoot well before trying to find the ideal pistol first.

for that matter, get a 22 pistol to learn on. ammo is cheap. very low recoil.

He's a hunter, as is his family. So, he's very familiar with shotguns & rifles. Not so much on hanguns though he's shot various types owned by men in the family.

Site Supporter
    If I could find a reliable commander 9mm 1911 for even HK $$$ I would be carrying one on duty. If I could find a desperate 25 year old Latin supermodel who was not crazy and liked to cook, I would be married.

I do not carry a 1991 and I am not married.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    If I could find a reliable commander 9mm 1911 for even HK $$$ I would be carrying one on duty. If I could find a desperate 25 year old Latin supermodel who was not crazy and liked to cook, I would be married.

I do not carry a 1991 and I am not married.
    The Dan Wesson Valkyrie Commander in 9mm that I tested on Gun Nuts was very reliable, but it is like...$1500 or something.

While I concur that the 1911s days as a general issue service sidearm are in the past, I have no issues with an individual user equipping themselves with a quality 1911. My Wilson Combat Protector Elite 1911 is continuously sabotaging my effort to focus on red dot pistols this year. But I think this forum embraces 9mm for good reasons, not the least of which is maximizing your training dollar, and 9mm is still significantly cheaper than .45 ACP. While the 9mm 1911 is enjoying increased popularity (and I'm starting to feel the temptation to add one to complement my .45), I'm hard pressed to recommend one for under $1000. The Colt Competition Pistol is the only one I'd even consider in that price range, and I don't consider it optimal for self defense. I think the 9mm 1911s truly become an option the closer you get to $2000, with the Dan Wesson and SACS Warren 9mm becoming options.

As far as the EDC X9, I find it intriguing because it actually costs less than a base CQB...everything is relative. I hope Wilson offers a full size model in the future.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

User Tag List